Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Are these advertised airfares for REAL or NOT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are these advertised airfares for REAL or NOT?

I picked up one of those freebie English-language magazines and spotted the following ads for dirt-cheap airfares from three different travel agencies: Across No. 1, FunTravel, & Airnet. never heard of 'em before. However, the prices they were listing caught my eye: round-trip fares to NY from between Y5000 to Y20,000; I've been tracking fares for a mid-February trip to NYC and the lowest I've gotten thus far is a shade under $1000 from DELTA. I don't mind flying on a non-US carrier or even a stop-over if the price is right. Are these fares for real or are they about as realistic as the invitations I get from various Nigerian princes and ministers?

Is this a trick question?
    The answer is No, they are not real.
    Tried them a few times over the years but they never had the fare advertised.
    Always something else at a much higher price than I could get elsewhere or that would route me through Timbuktoo.

Comment

Originally posted by 不良外人 View Post
      Is this a trick question?
      The answer is No, they are not real.
      Tried them a few times over the years but they never had the fare advertised.
      Always something else at a much higher price than I could get elsewhere or that would route me through Timbuktoo.
      Not a trick question. I just wanted to be certain. I'd hate to be on the plane and discovering the guy next to me only paid $200 for his flight while I ended up paying five times more.

Comment

One complaint I've heard against them is they add on loads of taxes and fuel charges etc which blow the price right out. One of my students ended up nearly paying 200,000 yen for a return flight to New York a few months ago - total rip off.

Although you can always phone and ask what the total price is with taxes, airport fees, fuel charges, agent charges included.

It doesn't help you as they don't fly to USA, but I like the on-line buying with Air Asia where they show all the taxes and fees before you hit the Buy Now button.

Comment

Originally posted by jrp View Post
          One complaint I've heard against them is they add on loads of taxes and fuel charges etc which blow the price right out. One of my students ended up nearly paying 200,000 yen for a return flight to New York a few months ago - total rip off.

Although you can always phone and ask what the total price is with taxes, airport fees, fuel charges, agent charges included.

It doesn't help you as they don't fly to USA, but I like the on-line buying with Air Asia where they show all the taxes and fees before you hit the Buy Now button.
          Totally agree with the above. Have gone through this many times. Call up the place and go through quite a bit to get the date and time you want, only to find out the fuel charge and airport fees cost a fortune. A direct flight to London had fees that were almost the same as the airfare. Ask for the total cost before booking.

Comment

The fares are real BUT
            ...availability is very low
            ...you still have to pay for fuel surcharges, taxes, in-flight oxygen, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by hml View Post
              The fares are real BUT
              ...availability is very low
              ...you still have to pay for fuel surcharges, taxes, in-flight oxygen, etc.
              There was a flight in central Europe a few months ago where the pilot would not take off unless the passengers coughed up $25,000 to pay for fuel. Seems he didnt have enough fuel to get to his destination. They all had to go to ATMs and take their money out before they could get home.

Comment

I've dealt with Across Number 1 travel and have always gotten whatever deals they had advertised. You just need to not be dumb and read the fine prints in order to know exactly what to expect and what you are getting.

Comment

Originally posted by xHime View Post
                  I've dealt with Across Number 1 travel and have always gotten whatever deals they had advertised. You just need to not be dumb and read the fine prints in order to know exactly what to expect and what you are getting.
                  Okay - let's say for argument's sake that I really really want that advertised special of Y5,000 to New York between 1/19 - 2/29... so what do I need to do and what will the extra costs look like?

Do I need to physically show up at their Shinjuku or Ikebukuro office or start calling before noon?
                  Will the extra fuel and airport surcharges somehow make the grand total around $1,000? .. which would mean I would be just as well off ... probably better with the points ... booking direct with airlines like Delta? Hell, if the total ends up being $200 to $300, that's definitely a bargain in my book.

Comment

Save the leg work. Either give them a call or send an e-mail, specifically mentioning the ad., price, etc.

They'll prolly tell you all the seats are sold; put you a waiting list; advise you to spend a little more for a flight to NY....

All in all, the usual.....

Comment

If you have Japanese reading ability, try these links.
                      I use them frequently and always get a reasonably good deal.

http://travel.goo.ne.jp/ab/ticket/

http://abroad.air.travel.yahoo.co.jp/

Comment

No they are not.

Next time, use the search function on this site for that companies name and save yourself the trouble of asking...

Comment

Originally posted by NorthByNorthwest View Post
                          Okay - let's say for argument's sake that I really really want that advertised special of Y5,000 to New York between 1/19 - 2/29... so what do I need to do and what will the extra costs look like?

Do I need to physically show up at their Shinjuku or Ikebukuro office or start calling before noon?
                          Will the extra fuel and airport surcharges somehow make the grand total around $1,000? .. which would mean I would be just as well off ... probably better with the points ... booking direct with airlines like Delta? Hell, if the total ends up being $200 to $300, that's definitely a bargain in my book.
                          Honestly I have never ever booked fares that low. I've used them for fares within Japan and to go to other Asian countries and they've always been rather upfront. But I wasn't looking at 5,000 yen fares, either. It is usually written somewhere on their ad (not sure about this one) what the fuel and tax charges will be. YES, like many many discount booking websites etc, the taxes themselves can cost 10 times the price of the ticket with super cheap tickets. It really depends on the actual trip and what the other "regular" fares look like to decide if it's worth it to book through them or through your regular carrier. I've always gotten better deals through across n1 travel for the types of flights I've mentioned that I could have directly through the internet or airlines.

You should go speak to them in person unless your Japanese is good enough to carry on a phone call, in which case they will answer questions over the phone, but not by email. I think that yes, for a 5000 yen fare the taxes and fees will be ridiculous.

Comment

The catch is such cheap tickets come with a lot of restrictions. You can't leave on this day, got to stay this amount of time, can't return on that day ect.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthByNorthwest View Post

... Hell, if the total ends up being $200 to $300, that's definitely a bargain in my book.
                              No chance.
                              a) Fuel surcharge / tax is at least Y 55,000
                              b) If you stay longer than one month, prices go up.

Also Delta.com has cheap offers (<1 month) Tokyo<->NY for Y 27,640, but add 55,700 tax/fuel/ so its Y 83,340. The tax/surcharge for JAL is similar.
                              If you want to stay over a month, the basic price goes up to Y 75,640 plus Y 55,700 tax/fuel.

Comment

Working...
                              X