Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Bikes on JR?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bikes on JR?

Hey Guys,

Just have a question regarding bringing bikes on JR lines. I have searched online and found that you need to take the front and back wheels off and put it in a bike bag. However, I am buying the bike from a place about 15km away, and probably won't ever need to transport the bike on a JR line after I have transport it home. Is is possible to bag it in large garbage bags bought in conbinis? I have also read some place that as long as you make an effort to "bag" it, they will usually let you on the train.

Thanks!

Just have the bike shop leave it in the original box.

Or (even easier) have it delivered. In case you don't know, the delivery industry here is great - UPS is a bunch of drunk gorillas in comparison.

Comment

Let me be the first to say--ride it.

Comment

Just put it in some black garbage bags and carry it on without saying anything (use a wicket far from the guy in the window)--they'll never know. Only 15km? If you can get it on the train, you'll be off by the time any JR guy figures it out.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys! I guess I can have it shipped, though wondering if it would be cheaper to just either take on train or ride it back? I am picking it up around Hirai Eki and getting it back to Shinanomachi Eki. As for riding it back, I think it would be a great exercise, my only concern is getting lost, since I have never been to that part of Tokyo, and have only got here about 2-3 weeks ago. So it will be biking around with a map and lots of u-turning. As for the trash bag, I think I will give it a go. If they catch me, I will just ride back. It's not too far away, and would be a good way to explore Tokyo. ;} Thanks for the helpful advices!

Comment

Originally posted by Plats View Post
            Let me be the first to say--ride it.
            Definitely!! What is up with fearing to ride 15k???? What's that? An hour if you're slow?

But if you have to go further... I have taken a bicycle on the train before. I tossed an old sheet over it. Another time, I just rolled it through the wide gate wicket, carried it down the stairs and pushed the bike on the train. When I got to my destination and tried to leave the guy actually stopped me from leaving explaining that I could not take the bicycle on the train, but that was a bit late, eh?

Cover it, and don't go when the trains are crowded.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesslai View Post
              I am picking it up around Hirai Eki and getting it back to Shinanomachi Eki.
              Rather easy. From Hirai go south until you reach route 14 ( a 'larger' road) then go west. Follow signs for Shinjuku rather than trying to follow a planned route.

Or get a compass and just go west until you reach the Yamanote line the second time. you'll see something you recognize.

Comment

Originally posted by hml View Post
                Definitely!! What is up with fearing to ride 15k???? What's that? An hour if you're slow?

But if you have to go further... I have taken a bicycle on the train before. I tossed an old sheet over it. Another time, I just rolled it through the wide gate wicket, carried it down the stairs and pushed the bike on the train. When I got to my destination and tried to leave the guy actually stopped me from leaving explaining that I could not take the bicycle on the train, but that was a bit late, eh?

Cover it, and don't go when the trains are crowded.

Dude I ride 15 km every morning. And another 15km back home. 50 minutes door to door...

Dont you have a smart phone?

Comment

Originally posted by rtfm View Post
                  Rather easy. From Hirai go south until you reach route 14 ( a 'larger' road) then go west. Follow signs for Shinjuku rather than trying to follow a planned route.

Or get a compass and just go west until you reach the Yamanote line the second time. you'll see something you recognize.
                  Agreed!

When I first got to Tokyo, on days off when my girlfriend was working I'd go out on her bike with the saddle up as high as it would go with only a not-to-scale map of the train lines and a compass and go exploring. Occasionally I'd get caught out by distances but never had any problems. Head in the direction of the train line you want (hell, you can even use the position of the sun as a bearing, none of this new-fangled smartphone nonsense, no offence Ume!) then follow the line. It sounds like you are paying a reasonable sum for the bike and that you care about bikes (as I do). What could be a better way of 'christening' the bike than to ride it home in a new and exciting city?!

Comment

Working...
                  X