Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Visa entry for Japan?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visa entry for Japan?

I'm taking a trip to Japan in March from Chicago. I'm married to a Japanese national whom is in Japan now, and will not accompany me on my trip. We have been married since 2010, and I have a valid American passport, and official copies of our marriage papers. Do I need a visa in my passport to enter the country for a 2 week visit? I have been unable to get a straight answer from anywhere. Will be flying out of Chicago O'Hare and into Narita then vice-versa on my return if that helps.
    Thanks.

You'll just be granted a Tourist Visa Waiver at Narita airport, good for 90 days, after your photograph and fingerprints have been taken... quite routine.

Comment

How can someone be married to a Japanese national and have this little knowledge of the entry procedures to Japan?
      You've never been here before?

Respectfully,
      A.

Comment

I want to know how he can be in the same country as his wife and not accompanying him?

Good idea is may apply to change your visa to a spouse visa once you enter the country and then get a re-entry permit.

Comment

Originally posted by Agitator View Post
          How can someone be married to a Japanese national and have this little knowledge of the entry procedures to Japan?
          You've never been here before?

Respectfully,
          A.
          How can someone pass judgement on someone you don't know of?

Seriously I was in the Military and worked at an airport on base with Japanese immigration officials when I was last here. FYI. You do know they are constantly revising the immigrations laws all the time right? I asked the embassy before I left if I needed anything, and they said I would not. But that was back in Sept of 2010. It's hard finding accurate info with these immigration laws sometimes.
          So stop assuming. Assumption is the key to all F*** ups. Have a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
            I want to know how he can be in the same country as his wife and not accompanying him?

Good idea is may apply to change your visa to a spouse visa once you enter the country and then get a re-entry permit.
            LOL that was my mistake. I meant to say that since she is already in Japan, she will not be on the flight and at the customs window with me.
            Thanks for that tip.

@ Trip_hop Thanks for your input as well.

As I say thank you to you both, I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction of an official site stating what I could do/expect. I asked a few friends back at the old station who still work there. I will await their reply because the do have an official number that my wife can call to be sure. So far it seems nothing has changed, but I want to be 100% sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Fletched View Post
              As I say thank you to you both, I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction of an official site stating what I could do/expect. I asked a few friends back at the old station who still work there. I will await their reply because the do have an official number that my wife can call to be sure. So far it seems nothing has changed, but I want to be 100% sure.
              If you have no valid visa to enter Japan then you get a tourist waiver to enter the country. Just because you are married to a Japanese does not give you automatic right to live or work here if you come here other than as a tourist.

Americans get an automatic 90-days as a tourist when you enter the country. You dont need to go to the Japanese embassy to get a tourist visa, like in some countries.

Comment

If you have no valid visa to enter Japan then you get a tourist waiver to enter the country. Just because you are married to a Japanese does not give you automatic right to live or work here if you come here other than as a tourist.

Americans get an automatic 90-days as a tourist when you enter the country. You dont need to go to the Japanese embassy to get a tourist visa, like in some countries.
                Yep, nothing has changed then since I left. Well except now I have to do a finger print and photo. I don't think I had to do that back in 2008 since I had orders and a military ID/passport, and I wasn't married then. I can't remember if they implemented that in 09' or earlier, but I do remember all the flak it had gotten. If people think that is bad, try landing on a base that doesn't have any immigration officials nearby. That sucks big time, and there isn't really anything in writing forewarning them either. But as they always say when you travel anywhere, be sure to do your homework, and make sure the info is correct and current.

Thanks again KansaiBen.

Comment

Thanks again KansaiBen.
                  Now all foreigners including those with PR have to be fingerprinted and photographed when they enter the country. It sucks big time but those are the rules here.

I have been on the sharp end of US immigration on occasion entering Hawaii and thats not a pleasant experience. Those guys carry guns.

Comment

Now all foreigners including those with PR have to be fingerprinted and photographed when they enter the country. It sucks big time but those are the rules here.
                    All foreigners except special permanent residents (NOT "regular" permanent residents), diplomats, those under 16, and those with special invitations from the Japanese government who I believe may technically include those on SOFA.

Comment

If you don't have a work visa or spouse visa, and your SOFA has long since expired, you are just another American here as a tourist. As described above, have a valid passport when you enter. That's all you need.

Comment

@ Trip_hop Thanks for your input as well.

Everything does not exist on websites, but some pointers are here:

Immigration Procedures Guidebook
                        http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/index.html
                        Narita Airport - International Arrival Procedures
                        http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guid...rr/step02.html

Comment

Welcome to GaijinPot Forums.

I wouldn't mention you are married to a J-girl. Just say you're a tourist.

Comment

It is surprisingly easy.

Seriously I was in the Military and worked at an airport on base with Japanese immigration officials when I was last here. FYI. You do know they are constantly revising the immigrations laws all the time right? I asked the embassy before I left if I needed anything, and they said I would not. But that was back in Sept of 2010. It's hard finding accurate info with these immigration laws sometimes.
                            Why don't you just look it up online instead of expecting other people to do your research for you? Not only is that lazy, but you realize the quality of free information on sites like this is usually exactly what you paid for it? This is the point I am making; just because I make it without sugar-coating it and kissing your @ss makes it no less valid. You would be wise to pay heed, young man.

So stop assuming. Assumption is the key to all F*** ups.
                            I assumed nothing. What are you blathering about?

Have a nice day.
                            I intend to.

Happily,
                            A.

Comment

Originally posted by Agitator View Post
                              It is surprisingly easy.

Why don't you just look it up online instead of expecting other people to do your research for you? Not only is that lazy, but you realize the quality of free information on sites like this is usually exactly what you paid for it? This is the point I am making; just because I make it without sugar-coating it and kissing your @ss makes it no less valid. You would be wise to pay heed, young man.

I assumed nothing. What are you blathering about?

I intend to.

Happily,
                              A.
                              LOL You took that long to think of a troll response and a weak one at that? lame. No more crackers for the troll.

Comment

Working...
                              X