Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Used Car Dealership -- Wait Time?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used Car Dealership -- Wait Time?

I've just begun the process of trying to get a used car here in Tokyo, and I went down to a dealership yesterday to get an idea of what is needed. Basically I was told from a salesperson, and various internet sources that I need the following to actually buy the car:

1) Parking Spot Certificate verified by Police

2) Jitsuin Hanko

I'm working on getting those now, but what kind of stunned me was when the sales person told me that once I bring the aforementioned items and hand the money over, I have to wait 2-3 weeks for the plates to come in/the title to transfer before I can take the car?

I understand this is Japan, I haven't been here long, but does that sound about right? Is there anyway to get some sort of temporary plates so that I can actually take the car with me instead of waiting that long?

If that is indeed the case, then how does a private sale work? I find it difficult to imagine paying a private seller for a car, and then waiting 3 weeks before I can take it from them.

Any insight is appreciated,

Thanks.

Originally posted by first02 View Post
    I've just begun the process of trying to get a used car here in Tokyo, and I went down to a dealership yesterday to get an idea of what is needed. Basically I was told from a salesperson, and various internet sources that I need the following to actually buy the car:

1) Parking Spot Certificate verified by Police

2) Jitsuin Hanko

I'm working on getting those now, but what kind of stunned me was when the sales person told me that once I bring the aforementioned items and hand the money over, I have to wait 2-3 weeks for the plates to come in/the title to transfer before I can take the car?

I understand this is Japan, I haven't been here long, but does that sound about right? Is there anyway to get some sort of temporary plates so that I can actually take the car with me instead of waiting that long?

If that is indeed the case, then how does a private sale work? I find it difficult to imagine paying a private seller for a car, and then waiting 3 weeks before I can take it from them.

Any insight is appreciated,

Thanks.
    The parking spot certificate / police permit can take a few days depending on the police station, but that's your time not theirs.

The change of title should be able to happen same day, and if the car is in the same registration district as you live and already has plates, it can keep the same plates.

My experience has typically been about a week (and the dealer did all the paperwork for me).

You don't officially need the jitsuin hanko, but without it you need to get a cerified signature from your consulate. The hanko is actually easier and cheper to get sorted.

Comment

Working...
    X