Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

About the 3 months requirement...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About the 3 months requirement...

Hi guys, wondering if anyone could clarify the 3 months/90 days requirement for transferring to a Japanese license.

I've got a UK license but annoyingly it was issued 5 days before I came to Japan. I have, however, been back over to England for a total of 90 days over the past 7 years I've been here. Would that count as 90 days, or does it have to be consecutive?

Cheers in advance,

Joe

Originally posted by JoeTheHumanity View Post
    Hi guys, wondering if anyone could clarify the 3 months/90 days requirement for transferring to a Japanese license.

I've got a UK license but annoyingly it was issued 5 days before I came to Japan. I have, however, been back over to England for a total of 90 days over the past 7 years I've been here. Would that count as 90 days, or does it have to be consecutive?

Cheers in advance,

Joe
    I believe it has to be consecutive, and all prior to your initial entry to Japan.

Is that your first license? You just passed your test prior to coming to Japan?

Comment

Yeah, it's my first license. Is it impossible to transfer then? Am I screwed? I read in another thread that some guys didn't get asked about the 3 month thing when they went. I also can't find anything specifying that it needs to be consecutive.

Comment

Yeah, it's my first license. Is it impossible to transfer then? Am I screwed? I read in another thread that some guys didn't get asked about the 3 month thing when they went. I also can't find anything specifying that it needs to be consecutive.
        I'm pretty sure it's consecutive. They look for there being at least 3 months between the issue date of your license, and your initial entry into Japan. They definitely checked mine. They don't ask -- they study your passport...

You've probably also missed the boat on being able to drive for up to a year on an IDP.

That makes you a learner driver in the same boat as any other beginner in Japan. Traffic school and tests...

Comment

It does not have to be consecutive.

Comment

at least 90 days consecutive if you want to use your IDL again. This will be good for another year of driving in Japan from the date of reentry or expiration of IDL, whichever comes first.
            Last edited by ron_jeremy; 2012-02-29, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hml View Post
              is that from personal experience?

Comment

Originally posted by hml View Post
                I think this works for those who want to have their local licences converted to a Japanese license. To those whose initial entry to Japan has lapsed one year, theyd be required to obtain a Japanese license or go back home for 90 days straight and renew their IDLs (good for another year at most)
                Last edited by ron_jeremy; 2012-02-29, 01:22 PM.

Comment

is that from personal experience?
                  If HML is correct, then you may get away with it. The stipulation is that since getting your foreign license, you must have lived at least three months in the country that issued it. I guess the question would be if they consider visits over the course of seven years, totalling 3 months in all, "living" in the country.

No harm in trying.

Comment

Originally posted by iago View Post
                    If HML is correct, then you may get away with it. The stipulation is that since getting your foreign license, you must have lived at least three months in the country that issued it. I guess the question would be if they consider visits over the course of seven years, totalling 3 months in all, "living" in the country.

No harm in trying.
                    Indeed. I mean, if they're looking for driving experience after passing the test, driving for a few weeks a year for 7 years is better than 3 months of driving 7 years ago then nothing in between, right?

Comment

Cheers in advance,

Joe
                      First of all, is your license still valid in the U.K.? I don't know how often you have to renew over there.

If not, you're out of luck. They'll only allow you to transfer if it's valid.

Secondly, do U.K. drivers need to take the road test here, or do they just need the written test and a translation of their English license?

If you're a legal driver why not just mosey down to the DL center and have a go? It's not like they're going to lock you up if you're not eligible.

Make sure you get your current license translated first and fill out the appropriate docs and get your stamps, etc.

Can't hurt to try.

Comment

Indeed. I mean, if they're looking for driving experience after passing the test, driving for a few weeks a year for 7 years is better than 3 months of driving 7 years ago then nothing in between, right?
                        You've been in Japan 7 years and you're still of the mindset that common sense applies here???

Comment

Originally posted by Shakes Spear View Post
                          You've been in Japan 7 years and you're still of the mindset that common sense applies here???
                          I'm an optimist!

Originally posted by Shakes Spear View Post
                          First of all, is your license still valid in the U.K.? I don't know how often you have to renew over there.

If not, you're out of luck. They'll only allow you to transfer if it's valid.

Secondly, do U.K. drivers need to take the road test here, or do they just need the written test and a translation of their English license?

If you're a legal driver why not just mosey down to the DL center and have a go? It's not like they're going to lock you up if you're not eligible.

Make sure you get your current license translated first and fill out the appropriate docs and get your stamps, etc.

Can't hurt to try.
                          My license expires on my 75th birthday! the photo needs to be updated but that's it. UK drivers only need to take the written test. I have a job offer that hinges on my ability to get the license though, which is why I'm worried about it... everything else is in order apart from that 3 month thing. Which would be fine if I was sure it didn't have to be consecutive...

Comment

I'm an optimist!
                            My license expires on my 75th birthday! the photo needs to be updated but that's it. UK drivers only need to take the written test. I have a job offer that hinges on my ability to get the license though, which is why I'm worried about it... everything else is in order apart from that 3 month thing. Which would be fine if I was sure it didn't have to be consecutive...
                            You'll probably be celebrating your 75th birthday before anyone uses common sense here.

As I said before. Just go down and apply for it. They may or may not find and issue with it but I doubt anyone on here can give you a definitive answer.

If they compare when you first arrived in Japan you might have a problem. If they look at when you last arrived you might be scot free.

Comment

Given a full 12 months of experience driving in Japan on an IDP wouldn't count...

UK drivers only need to take the written test.
                              Really? That must be a change. Didn't even need to do the written test when I did mine.

It's been a while, though...

Comment

Working...
                              X