Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Switching SUICA to Teiki . . . ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching SUICA to Teiki . . . ?

Hey, all.

So I am quitting my eikaiwa job that took me all over Kanto, and settling into a nice, steady job in Tamachi. My home station is Mabashi (JR Yamanote/Keihin-Tohoku lines and JR Joban, respectively.) Today, the person in charge of money at my new job told me that it is better if I get a teiki. I told her that I have SUICA, and she said that she thinks I can get it switched to teiki.

Here's my dilemma:
    1. I don't know how to switch it. Do I go a midori madoguchi and do it that way? Do I go into the View office at a bigger station?
    2. Right now, I have about 9,500 on my SUICA. The teiki cost is 13,550. Can I add some to my SUICA to change it to a teiki?

I've read on these forums, and it sounds like they act very similar. I get the monthly pass, and can stop at any station on my route as much as I want, but I can still charge it and use it like a regular SUICA, right? Help me, hive mind!

Originally posted by darthyagi View Post
    Here's my dilemma:
    1. I don't know how to switch it. Do I go a midori madoguchi and do it that way? Do I go into the View office at a bigger station?
    2. Right now, I have about 9,500 on my SUICA. The teiki cost is 13,550. Can I add some to my SUICA to change it to a teiki?

I've read on these forums, and it sounds like they act very similar. I get the monthly pass, and can stop at any station on my route as much as I want, but I can still charge it and use it like a regular SUICA, right? Help me, hive mind!
    A SUICA lets you go anywhere and just deducts the cost of the fare off the card and there is no time limit. A teiki can only be used between designated stations for a set period and is calculated based on the fare between those stations for 20 days.

I use ICOCA in Kansai which is similar and to my knowledge you can not transfer between the two.

I think if you give up your SUICA you get a deposit back but you will have to use up the money on your SUICA first before buying a teiki. You will need to feed your SUICA if you dont have enough money to get to work and then buy a teiki from next month.

Comment

In Tokyo, the monthly pass is overlaid on the Suica card. Walk in to any place that issues passes (sometimes not the green window or long-haul train tickets), hand them your Suica card, and ask for a pass.

If you travel on your train pass route and then go farther the system will work out what part is covered and what part is an extra charge, and deduct the overage from the cash part of the card. Overall it is a good no-brainer process.

Comment

AFAIK you can transfer the balance of a Suica to a JR Suica teiki, or the balance of a Pasmo to a Subway/Private-line teiki but you can't cross the streams even though the cards can be used cross-system for debit purposes.

Comment

Not all stations offer the commuter pass service, only the larger ones. Go to your local JR station and they shall tell you. You have to fill in a form.
          You can easily return the current suica card for a refund (I think minus Y 500 fee) and use the cash to pay for the teiki. I also think that renewals of the teiki can be done at the machine. A monthly teiki costs about 20 times the price of return trips, so you benefit if you use it also on weekends.

Comment

Okay, so I got the teiki a month ago, and I wanted to say thank you to those of you who gave advice. Much appreciated. Here's how it went down.

I went to the pink ticket machine, hit the English button, and went through the process. It had me insert the amount of the teiki, and the money left over on my SUICA stayed as SUICA money. It was pretty sweet.

Now I have a new question. It's set to expire on May 1, so if I go to renew it now, will it be 30 days from the time I renew it, or will it be 30 days from expiry? This may seem like a stupid question. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post

I use ICOCA in Kansai which is similar and to my knowledge you can not transfer between the two.
              A bit offtopic but isnt Pitapa cheaper and way more convenient? i use it also like a creditcard, loads of shops in Kansai use the pitapa paysystem.

Comment

Originally posted by darthyagi View Post
                Okay, so I got the teiki a month ago, and I wanted to say thank you to those of you who gave advice. Much appreciated. Here's how it went down.

I went to the pink ticket machine, hit the English button, and went through the process. It had me insert the amount of the teiki, and the money left over on my SUICA stayed as SUICA money. It was pretty sweet.

Now I have a new question. It's set to expire on May 1, so if I go to renew it now, will it be 30 days from the time I renew it, or will it be 30 days from expiry? This may seem like a stupid question. Sorry.
                30 days from expiry.

Comment

Hello!

I just got my Teiki card and forgot to ask if it is possible to travel for example,

I have my card from Sangenjaya - ShinOkubo.

I have to transfer at Shibuya so they calculated that of course, is it possible for me to go to Shibuya and
                  back to Sangenjaya as much as I want or do I have to pay anything extra?

Thank you for answering!

Comment

should be unlimited. A teiki you pay a 1 time monthly fee for ALL commute between shinokubo and sengajaya. So if you go 1, 2 or 12 times, that shouldnt matter

A suica however charges you for every ride.

Comment

Originally posted by wernst View Post
                      should be unlimited. A teiki you pay a 1 time monthly fee for ALL commute between shinokubo and sengajaya. So if you go 1, 2 or 12 times, that shouldnt matter

A suica however charges you for every ride.
                      Thanks for the answer!

So I can go to only Shibuya and then back home? So I don't have to go all the way from Sangenjaya to ShinOkubo and back for the card to be valid?

Comment

Originally posted by jamiet View Post
                        Thanks for the answer!

So I can go to only Shibuya and then back home? So I don't have to go all the way from Sangenjaya to ShinOkubo and back for the card to be valid?
                        No, it's not always necessary to travel to the final destination on your teiki but you'll have to inform station staff at Shibuya that you won't be making the full trip and ask them to pass on your apologies to the good folks in ShinOkubo. There are several forms to fill out as well so bring a dictionary or hire a Filipina to accompany you.

Comment

Originally posted by Piethrower View Post
                          No, it's not always necessary to travel to the final destination on your teiki but you'll have to inform station staff at Shibuya that you won't be making the full trip and ask them to pass on your apologies to the good folks in ShinOkubo. There are several forms to fill out as well so bring a dictionary or hire a Filipina to accompany you.
                          I will thank you for the first part of the answer, as I assume that you were serious about that it is not necessary to go all the way on my teiki.

Comment

You have unlimited usage between those stations on your route, and is not dependent on if you start or end your day at the beginning or end stations on the pass. You do not need to travel the whole route. You can start and end anywhere along the route. In fact, what I often do is add an extra station or two into my commuter pass because sometimes the price comes out exactly the same (see more below why), this works out for some, for others it doesn't , just depends on where you live and want to go.

Any case:

To answer some earlier questions posed a few months ago for future inquiries:

1. As indicated a Suica card can be converted into a monthly pass by visiting a pass office OR much easier using a designated vending machine marked "commuter pass" at railway stations. The screens have English functions, and you can enter your start/end stations and select your chosen route.

2. The Suica card will become a commuter pass with regular Suica functions. This means you have unlimited rides for the period you purchased the pass (1 month, 3 months or 6 months), note that it's slightly cheaper if you purchase the 6 month version instead of purchasing six individual 1 month versions. The card works as a regular Suica card for all other functions. So you are still allowed to keep credit on the card.

If you go off route then the Suica debit function works.

The best part about this is, you only pay from the closest station on your pass instead of the whole route.

For example:
                            If your pass is Sangenjaya - ShinOkubo, lets say you decide that you want to go one stop over to Takadanobaba station. If you didn't have the commuter pass, you would be charged the whole route cost from Sangenjaya to Takadanobaba. But because your commuter pass already covers Sangenjaya to ShinOkubo, the Suica card will only charge you the cost form ShinOkubo to Takadanobaba, thus saving you money if you go off route.

Comment

Working...
                            X