Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Holding two licenses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ericson View Post
    I you have read my previous posts you would have understood that I am not from a UK origin and assuming that the UK and other EU countries have similar agreements with Japan, I did get such a letter from the my country's embassy. So stop thinking you know all, as I also stated the UK might do things different seeing they are part of the EU but does not quite follow suit with many things.
    I heard Germany has a law like this but I find it amazing that it was the Italian Embassy that chased you up. Are they saying that because you no longer live in Italy you can't maintain an Italian drivers' license? I guess stranger things have happened at sea.

Comment

I actually checked this out a few days ago, prior to booking a rental car in thr UK. According to the DLVA the license stays valid, but you can't renew it to update the photograph if you're not a resident.

Comment

Originally posted by iago View Post
        I actually checked this out a few days ago, prior to booking a rental car in thr UK. According to the DLVA the license stays valid, but you can't renew it to update the photograph if you're not a resident.
        I updated mine 'from Japan' a couple of years ago. I still have a usable permanent UK address and asked a local UKlander in Japan to sign the back of my photos to say they were me (or maybe I'm confusing the photo signing with my last passport renewal?) Anyway, it was updated no probs and I've changed the address on it to my mother's new apartment. Now I remember - I updated it online - well I did the application process online and then printed out a document to which I attached the witnessed photos - they had to be a weird small size.

--

Comment

Originally posted by mr.sumo.snr View Post
          I updated mine 'from Japan' a couple of years ago. I still have a usable permanent UK address and asked a local UKlander in Japan to sign the back of my photos to say they were me (or maybe I'm confusing the photo signing with my last passport renewal?) Anyway, it was updated no probs and I've changed the address on it to my mother's new apartment. Now I remember - I updated it online - well I did the application process online and then printed out a document to which I attached the witnessed photos - they had to be a weird small size.

--

Yup, that's what I did, too. I became temporarily resident in my parents' basement.

If you have a recent UK passport, you can do it completely online. They can actually pull the photograph from your passport record (but the passport has to be less than 5 years old...)

Comment

Working...
          X