Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Car Ownership Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Ownership Issue

Hello everyone! I have a question that hopefully someone can answer for me.

I've recieved a car from a friend, and went to my local garage to have the ownership changed over. The mechanic told me that my friend was not in fact the actual owner of the car, he was just registered as a user on the shakenshomeshou. I called my friend about this and he said that the original owner left the country.
    I was told I could also be registerd as a user and technically be responsible for the car, insure it and the works. But the problem seems to be if I have to scrap the car at some point, I woulnd't be able to do so without the original owners' permission. Since the original owner left the country more then 2 years ago, if i needed to scrap the car, what would I do?
    Is there some procedure or steps I can take to transfer ownership into my name seeing as the orginal owner is long gone?

I assume this can't be the first time this has happened.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks,

Logan

Originally posted by logankab View Post
    Hello everyone! I have a question that hopefully someone can answer for me.

I've recieved a car from a friend, and went to my local garage to have the ownership changed over. The mechanic told me that my friend was not in fact the actual owner of the car, he was just registered as a user on the shakenshomeshou. I called my friend about this and he said that the original owner left the country.
    I was told I could also be registerd as a user and technically be responsible for the car, insure it and the works. But the problem seems to be if I have to scrap the car at some point, I woulnd't be able to do so without the original owners' permission. Since the original owner left the country more then 2 years ago, if i needed to scrap the car, what would I do?
    Is there some procedure or steps I can take to transfer ownership into my name seeing as the orginal owner is long gone?

I assume this can't be the first time this has happened.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks,

Logan
    To change the ownership of the car, you need the current owner's official stamp and copy of stamp registry. Difficult (impossible?) to obtain since he is no longer registered as living in Japan.

I'm not certain, but I believe the same documents are needed to change the user or driver as well.

This means:
    - you can drive it but any tickets you get would go to the owner's address as registered on the car's registration.
    - if you are pulled over, you may have a long day with the cops. Keeping receipts with you in the car is your best chance, but by no means a guarantee.
    - you can get away with not paying for car tax, but only until the next shaken inspection comes up. You'd have to pay it then to renew the registration.
    - the car is probably best scrapped - but only after thoroughly joy-riding and beating the hell out of it.

Comment

Working...
    X