Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

unpaid car tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unpaid car tax

Hi all,

I just bought a small car from a girl who's leaving Japan however the tax hasn't been paid for this year and she's not planning on paying it. I tried paying it but was told I couldn't and didn't really understand the explanation to why (the car was registered in another city). I'm planning on doing ownership change shortly but wonder if I'll have any problems in doing so. I've heard I shouldn't but just wanted to get other people's opinions or first hand experiences on it before I try. I've heard I can't get shaken on the car till the tax has been paid but as that's due after April 2013, the car will already be in my name by then so I'll have the current tax receipt at that time. Will I have any problems?

Originally posted by manoman View Post
    Hi all,

I just bought a small car from a girl who's leaving Japan however the tax hasn't been paid for this year and she's not planning on paying it. I tried paying it but was told I couldn't and didn't really understand the explanation to why (the car was registered in another city). I'm planning on doing ownership change shortly but wonder if I'll have any problems in doing so. I've heard I shouldn't but just wanted to get other people's opinions or first hand experiences on it before I try. I've heard I can't get shaken on the car till the tax has been paid but as that's due after April 2013, the car will already be in my name by then so I'll have the current tax receipt at that time. Will I have any problems?
    I don't think you will be able to license it without the tax being paid - so your issue occurs now, not in April. Get the girl to pay the tax - even if you need to give her the money.

Comment

Now if that is not one of those classic catch 22 situations, I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by manoman View Post
        I tried paying it but was told I couldn't and didn't really understand the explanation to why (the car was registered in another city).
        Doesn't make sense. If you are talking about paying the annual tax with the paper that is sent to the car owner in May, it doesn't matter who pays it. If you pay within the time limit at a conbini, anyone can do it. If outside the time limit, pay it at a post office.

My guess is you tried at a conbini outside the stated time period, then yes, they'll tell you to feck off

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy View Post
          Doesn't make sense. If you are talking about paying the annual tax with the paper that is sent to the car owner in May, it doesn't matter who pays it. If you pay within the time limit at a conbini, anyone can do it. If outside the time limit, pay it at a post office.

My guess is you tried at a conbini outside the stated time period, then yes, they'll tell you to feck off
          She never received the tax paper as she had moved, I asked at a local city office to see if I could pay it directly but was shown the door, but it looks like my inquiry turned some cogs as she emailed me yesterday to say she had received the tax bill in the mail...now just need to persuade her to send it to me before she goes.

Thanks to those who posted.

Comment

Working...
          X