Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Car Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Insurance

I'm about to get a car, so I guess I'd better look at getting some insurance too.

Are there any tips or traps people have experienced, or heard of, that they would like to share? I've found next to bugger-all on the subject using Google.

I'd also be interested to get an idea of what people are paying - just an approximation would be great as the individual circumstances can change the premium markedly.

Thanks in advance.

From my experience, make sure at the very least that damages for personal injury are well covered, tick the unlimited box.
    Medical expenses here are expensive, I know. You can reduce the cost by not including repair cover for your vehicle, at your risk of course.
    Impossible to estimate cost, don't even know what car you want to drive.

FYI my car is classed as high risk, annual premium this year has increased even though I rarely drive it

Comment

Insurance premiums go down every year for seven years without accidents or tickets. I use Sony Sonpo, do it online (with wife's help) and pay 50,000y/y for a late model Corolla, collision, unlimited everything.

Comment

I don't have unlimited personal insurance as such, but many things have decently high values. On a PT cruiser with axa it's about 10000 a month. If all drivers are over thirty premiums will be a little lower as well. Price includes personal, second and third party damage as well as fixing cars of all parties, and roadside assistance. The reason many complain about the high price for medical stuff is that the other parties will always get money for not being able to go to work and a daily uphold fee on top of medical charges. This amount sometimes is well above what they would have originally made at work. I still think that is the main reason things are so expensive.
        Last edited by ericson; 2012-07-26, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Got a sweet car, next up: insurance

I'm interested in hearing more from others on this as well. I need to pick up some insurance for a 10-year old Nissan kei-car. 44,000 kms, abs breaks, dual airbags, turbo. two drivers over 35. Japanese DL, no record of accidents or tickets. More than five and a half years living in Japan.

One Japanese-Scot couple told me Mitsui Direct is the best. Checked out kakaku.com and saw they're ranked #3, with Sony Sonpo just below at #5. Not sure about #1,2,4. Would like to hear some 'reports' on experiences (good/bad) with various companies (JA, Mitsui, Sony Sonpo, AIU, etc.). And if people can post how much they are paying for their premiums, annually, plus how many drivers are covered, that would be excellent!

Comment

It's pointless asking other people what they are paying, there are so many variables. Driver, history, car, and importantly how much liability are you prepared to accept if you crash.

Go here http://www.insweb.co.jp/lp/listing03...FVGZpAodS3gAfQ you can get quotes from various companies.

The site below is a guide to insurance ranking by car make/model. Sometimes rankings change, that can decide whether premiums decrease or not.
            http://www.ahoraxxx.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy View Post
              It's pointless asking other people what they are paying, there are so many variables. Driver, history, car, and importantly how much liability are you prepared to accept if you crash.

Go here http://www.insweb.co.jp/lp/listing03...FVGZpAodS3gAfQ you can get quotes from various companies.

The site below is a guide to insurance ranking by car make/model. Sometimes rankings change, that can decide whether premiums decrease or not.
              http://www.ahoraxxx.com/
              Cheers for that. Will check out these links.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not sure if it happens in Japan, but some of the insurance companies in NZ have a reputation for being troublesome if it comes to making claims - ie they will look for any excuse not to payout, or to reduce their payout. In NZ they're usually the ones with the cheaper premiums.

I have already got insurance for my motorbike through AIU (with the advantage the policy is in English). However, they don't give a discount if you have a bike policy with them as well - unless the bike is less than 125cc. They've been good so far - but I haven't had to make a claim either.

Comment

If there is a U.S. base not too far from you, then there will be an insurance company outside the gates that caters to non Japanese. Switched to one of these after my local isurance company kept raising my rates year after year despite a gold license, no violations and old fart discount. the places outside the bases speak English and know places that will do shakken at reasonable rates.

Comment

Working...
                  X