Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Shipping (motor) bikes to Japan from the USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping (motor) bikes to Japan from the USA

I know there are sort of threads about this sort of thing, but they're super old and I kind of suck at the internet, so sorry if this post is redundant or whatever.
    Also, I should have done this a year ago when I first moved to Japan.

Anyway... I have a couple of 1970's-era mopeds (whatever dude say what you want they're awesome I swear) back in Seattle/USA that I would REALLY like to get to Sapporo.
    I completely built and customized the things and have ridden them both (not at the same time) thousands more miles/kilometers than they were ever meant to be ridden in both the US and Canada, so they're like children or pets or a pair of pants or something to me.
    Well, now I have a good Japanese friend travelling to Seattle in a few weeks to go to my old moped club's moped rally (for the second time no less, AND he speaks no English).
    He and his moped club in Tokyo are completely convinced that if I can get the bikes to Japan, they'll get them street legal for me (they're only 50cc so things are way less strict in both the US and Japan than they are with bigger bikes).
    Plus he wants to get some random parts back to Japan that the friend who's keeping my bikes is keeping for him.

So... how do I do that?
    The friend storing the bikes will crate them up for me and get them ready to put on a boat, but I never seem to be able to get a response from any of the companies I contact to try to get a quote.
    Okay, so honestly, that was about a year ago.
    But I'm running out of time, and I haven't had the free time to figure it out on my own lately, so really I guess what I'm asking is "where do I go to to ship a big heavy crate full of crap to Japan?"
    Even if my bikes end up in Tokyo, that's a million billion times closer than Seattle, so I'd be happy.
    Thanks for any suggestions.

Originally posted by kurtasbestos View Post
    I know there are sort of threads about this sort of thing, but they're super old and I kind of suck at the internet, so sorry if this post is redundant or whatever.
    Also, I should have done this a year ago when I first moved to Japan.

Anyway... I have a couple of 1970's-era mopeds (whatever dude say what you want they're awesome I swear) back in Seattle/USA that I would REALLY like to get to Sapporo.
    I completely built and customized the things and have ridden them both (not at the same time) thousands more miles/kilometers than they were ever meant to be ridden in both the US and Canada, so they're like children or pets or a pair of pants or something to me.
    Well, now I have a good Japanese friend travelling to Seattle in a few weeks to go to my old moped club's moped rally (for the second time no less, AND he speaks no English).
    He and his moped club in Tokyo are completely convinced that if I can get the bikes to Japan, they'll get them street legal for me (they're only 50cc so things are way less strict in both the US and Japan than they are with bigger bikes).
    Plus he wants to get some random parts back to Japan that the friend who's keeping my bikes is keeping for him.

So... how do I do that?
    The friend storing the bikes will crate them up for me and get them ready to put on a boat, but I never seem to be able to get a response from any of the companies I contact to try to get a quote.
    Okay, so honestly, that was about a year ago.
    But I'm running out of time, and I haven't had the free time to figure it out on my own lately, so really I guess what I'm asking is "where do I go to to ship a big heavy crate full of crap to Japan?"
    Even if my bikes end up in Tokyo, that's a million billion times closer than Seattle, so I'd be happy.
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    You are in Japan, so you can not do it! Your friend who is storing the bikes has to contact a shipping company, pay and arrange for a container, he gets the bikes to where they have to be, makes sure they are put on the container with the parts for your J friend and voila, everything gets shipped to Japan. Your friend has to be sure to tell them to ship them to Sapporo.

A shipping company in America will not deal with someone in Japan, like a shipping company in Japan will not deal with someone in America!
    Last edited by BackDoor_Man; 2012-08-01, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BackDoor_Man View Post
      You are in Japan, so you can not do it! Your friend who is storing the bikes has to contact a shipping company, pay and arrange for a container, he gets the bikes to where they have to be, makes sure they are put on the container with the parts for your J friend and voila, everything gets shipped to Japan. Your friend has to be sure to tell them to ship them to Sapporo.

A shipping company in America will not deal with someone in Japan, like a shipping company in Japan will not deal with someone in America!
      Although this is true, there are Japanese shipping companies on the west coast of the US and Canada that deal specifically with Japanese bound small and large crate deliveries to Japan, but expect to pay through the nose...

That said vintage scooters rock!

Comment

Working...
      X