Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Japan for a Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japan for a Weekend

I'm coming to Japan for a weekend and a Japanese friend of mine who lives there is going to drive down to see and travel with me. I'm just wondering if custom dictates that I should bring a gift in this situation and, if so, what might be appropriate? Thanks!

Originally posted by space man View Post
    I'm coming to Japan for a weekend and a Japanese friend of mine who lives there is going to drive down to see and travel with me. I'm just wondering if custom dictates that I should bring a gift in this situation and, if so, what might be appropriate? Thanks!
    There is no particular custom, bring something from home that he is unlikely to find easily in Japan. Some food delicacy, alcohol always works well. If its just him something small but if you meet his family, things like cakes, chocolates etc.

Comment

Thank you for the quick response. I'm actually coming from a third country (Korea) and am a bit unsure about what to bring since kimchi or a bottle of soju might seem cheap. Would it be totally inappropriate to ask directly if there is anything special from Korea my friend wants?

Comment

Thank you for the quick response. I'm actually coming from a third country (Korea) and am a bit unsure about what to bring since kimchi or a bottle of soju might seem cheap. Would it be totally inappropriate to ask if there is anything special from Korea my friend wants?
        I'm no expert but soju being like shochu in Japan there are different levels or brands, some of it is quite expensive for good quality liquor. See if you can buy an expensive brand. he wont see it as cheap if its good quality. Its the thought that counts IMHO and he wont think any the less of you because of it. He wants to see you, not whatever you buy for him. Say you would like to pick up something for him and ask him what he would like. He may say don't bother but he's probably being modest.

If it were me I would bring him some packets of bibimbap (meat and spicy veges on rice base) or bulgogi (grilled meat) which is the local delicacy there
        Last edited by KansaiBen; 2012-08-01, 11:06 AM.

Comment

kim chee does not travel well and is readily available in Japan. Stick with the booze.

Comment

That sounds like a good way to go--and very reasonable. Thanks for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by well_bicyclically View Post
              kim chee does not travel well and is readily available in Japan. Stick with the booze.
              haha, yeah, I wasn't seriously considering that one. Thanks for making sure, though. I remembered a brand of high-quality soju I know and will probably go with a bottle of that.
              Last edited by space man; 2012-08-01, 11:11 AM.

Comment

haha, yeah, I wasn't seriously considering that one. Thanks for making sure, though. I remembered a brand of high-quality soju I know and will probably go with a bottle of that.
                you cannot go wrong with fake Louis Vuitton goods either!!!

Comment

Japanese people seem to think that Korean nori sheets are pretty great.

Comment

Working...
                  X