Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Bringing 2 cats from USA to Japan...need some suggestions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing 2 cats from USA to Japan...need some suggestions!

I am moving to Japan on August 7th, but my cats will remain in America until November 27th. (They will complete their 180 day quarantine at that time.) They have already gone through the beginning steps (microchip, rabies shots, & blood work). I know what needs to be done before having them brought over, but I'm struggling with finding the right company to bring my 2 girls over to Japan. I have gotten two quotes of two different companies (World Pet Travel & Air Animal Pet Express), but really don't know how well to trust them or any other company. Has anyone ever brought pets to Japan or used a pet shipping company? Please let me know what you would suggest. Thanks!

This might be helpful: http://www.airanimal.com/. Oh, I see you already have them listed. Mea culpa.

Comment

Whatever you do, don't coat them in a "chocolate-like substance" and wrap them in Snickers wrappers.

http://www.japantoday.com/category/c...-bars-to-japan

Comment

Make sure that your landlord allows cats, unless you live in your own place. If you rent, expect to pay an extra month rent deposit to cover possible damage from them.

Comment

Originally posted by trip_hop View Post
          Make sure that your landlord allows cats, unless you live in your own place. If you rent, expect to pay an extra month rent deposit to cover possible damage from them.
          ditto that! Japanese landlords tolerate small dogs, but HATE cats. I am sure they will love the heat in summer and the lack of central heating in winter!!

Comment

Could you fly back for a weekend and get them?

You might also try finding a forum for US military families. They usually have good advice and experience in these matters.

Comment

Looking into it...

I have been working with a real estate agent who knows that I am looking for an apartment that allows cats. Since I won't having a working visa when I first arrive, I'll be staying in a temporary apartment (without my cats), until my change of status is complete. Then I will find an apartment that allows cats.

I've looked into going home for few days to get them, but I couldn't find an airline that allowed one person to check 2 animals. They all see to say only 1 pet checked per person. I may have to call some airlines and find out.

I'm in contact with AARK now and waiting for a quote. Really hoping it's $3000 or less!

I'll look into some military forums as well. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by kittytatiana View Post
                I'm in contact with AARK now and waiting for a quote. Really hoping it's $3000 or less!
                Holy sh!t, Batman! That's a lot of money to take a cat or two with you!

I draw the line at $30 for a cat, $50 for a dog. Seriously, people, get a new kitten when you get here and you will grow to love each other just the same. $3000!!!?? wtf?

Comment

Working...
                X