The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less



Wwoofing with a Daughter ! a few questions.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wwoofing with a Daughter ! a few questions.

    I've always loved the idea of living in a village outside of a city, farming. I could be very happy to do this for some time. ( Or longer : ) ) .
    I have read everything I can find on the Visa' and Wwoof information pages. I have a few questions.

    If i have a ten year old daughter. how does this complicate the situation ? is it possible for me to find her a small school that she can attend while we are there ?
    we both would love to learn about farming, and japanese culture.

    I would have to apply for a tourist visa. I do not know exactly how visa works. but from what I can find, since I do not have a diploma or special skills. as a US citizen,
    a Tourist visa is my only option ? with a 90 day limit.

    I also read once that, it may be much easier to get visa extensions if you can show that you have a way of supporting yourself, (Home and food) without work.


    I guess my question is, has anyone here had any luck with extending a tourist visa, while staying at a farm with accomidations ?
    is it possible to do this with a 10 year old daughter who also very much wishes to be a part of this type of life style ?

    How often could I return to do this 90 day tourist visa, farming stay ? is there a limit of visits per year?

    I'm a single father. a nice guy, and not bad looking, I try and stay healthy. I study nihongo daily.
    I love the idea of "maybe finding someone nice" and staying in japan for ever.

    I am curious if this dream is still possible with a 10 year old Daughter.
    because I know its only 90 days at a time.

    Has anyone here ever joined the Wwoof program with a child ?

    Does anyone know of any other ogrinisations that do things like this ? Accomidations for things like farming ? or anything else?
    I would love to find more options also.

    I would love to chase my dreams of a quiet happy life with my daughter. I would love my daughter to grow up with Japanese culture.
    The more I learn, the more I dream about and think about her also being happy.
    ( America is ok.. but the neighbors are a little ghetto ne ? )
    Last edited by RobCardIV; 2012-09-19, 08:32 PM.

  • #2
    OP, if you intend for your daughter to stay with you and work on the farm, I see no problems. Getting her in a school might prove to be difficult.
    - farms likely not near international school
    - non-international school (both actually) would likely require a visa
    - not cheap, particularly if you are only going to be here short-term


    • #3
      Japan has mandatory schooling till 9th grade, so generally speaking your daughter would be eligible/required to attend a school in Japan.
      However, if she's just here on a 90-day tourist visa it is rather likely that she's not accepted in the public school system as they probably have no obligation and interest to make an extra effort and hassle.

      There are many english-speaking schools (list here : ) but usually in the large cities where many foreigners live. As they are privately funded and charge fees (in the $ 20,000 range) they might be happy to take your daughter if you ask. But as pointed out, these are usually near the large cities and not near the farms.


      • #4
        Originally posted by ttokyo View Post
        Japan has mandatory schooling till 9th grade, so generally speaking your daughter would be eligible/required to attend a school in Japan.
        Pretty sure it's not mandatory for non-citizens.


        • #5
          Originally posted by iago View Post
          Pretty sure it's not mandatory for non-citizens.
          Yep, you're right, but they can join anyway :

          "+ For Japanese nationals, six years at elementary school and three years at junior high school (total nine years) are compulsory.
          + Although foreign nationals are not subject to Japanese compulsory education, they may enter local elementary/junior high schools if they wish. ...
          For more information, contact the Board of Education of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government and/or the municipal office and board of education in the ward (or city, town or village) where you reside. "