Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

buying my first car at an used car dealer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying my first car at an used car dealer

hello I want to buy a car and drive like one year with an international driving license before taking the test. I am not very good at driving so I want to practice a lor first.

my questios are:

I saw an old car for 10 yen plus 90.000 yen for insurance and other expenses. After I use his car when I want to get rid of it hiw much will it cost?

how much is the tax and how do you pay it?

what things do I have to take in account when buying the car at the dealer ?
    thank you

Originally posted by Rock_Howard View Post
    hello I want to buy a car and drive like one year with an international driving license before taking the test. I am not very good at driving so I want to practice a lor first.

my questios are:

I saw an old car for 10 yen plus 90.000 yen for insurance and other expenses. After I use his car when I want to get rid of it hiw much will it cost?

thank you
    Don`t forget that you also have to have a parking space for that car which adds to the expenses! Sound like you`d be better off renting a car so you can oracyice with.

Comment

Yes I know about the parking space. I am looking for a cheap one 20.000 yen at most.

The las time I rented a car here appart from all the racism and places not renting to foreigners I remember I paid about 35.000 yen for like 4 days incluxing the insurances. I find it pretty expensive as it was the cheapest car available. Maybe it is cheap without insurance but as an inexpert driver myself I can not be without it.

Comment

Originally posted by thefg
        recycling fee is 10,000 - 18,000 yen depending on car

10,000 - 50,000 yen depending on car

the fact they will rip you off. in japan car dealers the price you see is rarely what you pay (pay more) often you try abd buy at sticker price and then you find out they only sell it at sticker+service costs+warranty cost/packaged......its kinda annoying if you dont want those extras - often no choice ...
        hi thank you for the info. yes I know about the extra prices. I wanted a car with a 10 yen price but after the other goddies it became almost 100.000 yen. but what about the parts? should I take pictures of the engine? they keep the car for a few days after payment. do they change things inside? I am really new to this.

Comment

my questios are:

thank you
          Be careful. You could get in trouble driving on an international license if you are here with a long stay visa.

Comment

Hi I just found a guy selling a car. The change of registration does not have to be done but I would like to be registered as an extra driver just in case the police stops me or whi knows..

What is the process to do that?

Comment

Or one can just get away by saying the police that it is a friends car?

Comment

Don't you mean an oozed car?

Comment

Hi I just found a guy selling a car. The change of registration does not have to be done but I would like to be registered as an extra driver just in case the police stops me or whi knows..

What is the process to do that?
                  Pretty sure if you buy the car then you have to transfer the registration into your name within 15 days. (Road Transport Vehicle Act: Section 2, Clause 13 Item 1). Otherwise you can get fined up to 50,000 yen (Road Transport Vehicle Act: Section 8, Clause 109 Item 1)

http://law.e-gov.go.jp/htmldata/S26/S26HO185.html

You may get lucky and nothing will happen. You can tell the police whatever you want. They might not even ask to see your registration if it's for something really minor. But, if you get into an accident or something you could find yourself having problems to prove that the car is yours since it will still be registered in somebody else's name. You can lie and say it's your friend's car but you could find yourself in more trouble than just the accident when they figure things out. You will also have problems getting a proper parking permit if the car is not legally registered to you. As long as the car is register another person's name, everything official (e.g. tax, parking tickets, etc.) will be sent to their address. If both of you are OK with that then go for it.

Hope you know the person you're buying the car from very if they're telling you that you don't need to transfer the title. You give them cash, but the car is still in their name so it's still legally their car. Sounds like they just are looking for quick cash with a minimal paper trail. Better hope they don't report it stolen or claim after the fact that it's only a short-term lease. Stranger things have happened.
                  Last edited by Shimi; 2012-10-16, 11:39 AM.

Comment

thank you for your answer. Just one question. What is that about the parking permit? I can just rent a random cheap parking space and put the car there right? I just found one close home for 18000 Y. I think it is cheap although the place is horrible.

I will just be using the car until next year when the shaken expires and the seller is going out from japan so he seems to doesn't care.

but it is legal to drive a "friends" car? in japan?

If I get into an accident I just have to run away right?

Comment

thank you for your answer. Just one question. What is that about the parking permit? I can just rent a random cheap parking space and put the car there right? I just found one close home for 18000 Y. I think it is cheap although the place is horrible.

I will just be using the car until next year when the shaken expires and the seller is going out from japan so he seems to doesn't care.

You need to be insured to drive the car. So if your friend puts you on his policy as a named driver, you will be ok. All other suggestions are obviously dodgy, and this just isn't the country to do dodgy things in - especially as a gaijin, because it puts your visa at risk.

Do things properly is the best advice.

Comment

Sounds like you and the seller know what your doing. Go with your gut feeling and buy the car if you think its a good deal and let the rest take care of itself. Drive safely and you shouldn't have to run, but just in case always try to travel light, wear easy fitting clothing and comfortable shoes. Just don't get caught. Lots of bad drivers out there so accidents sometimes do happen. The car won't be in your name so if there are any problems, they will be the seller's.

Misunderstood your parking question. If you already got a space then no problem. But, you can save that 18,000 yen by just parking on the street. Just try and find a place that's not too busy and leave your car there. I doubt anybody will care. If anybody does make a fuss, just play it dumb, wait until things cool down, then park it somewhere else. Again the car won't be in your name so they go after the seller for any tickets or if it gets towed. Just make sure you don't leave anything important in the car that you can't afford to lose.

Best case scenario, you get a cheap car to drive around until the shaken expires. No fuss, no muss. Not in your name so any problems are the seller's problems. When the time comes, just dump the car somewhere and let somebody else worry about it.

Worst case scenario, something bad happens and you end up with a slap on the wrist and maybe a trip back to your home country. But, as long as nobody gets killed, you shouldn't have to worry about prison. If they fine you, then just say you're going to pay and then just never do. You'll probably be long gone before they're any the wiser.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Comment

If you REGISTER the car, you need to prove that you have a parking space. As the car is obviously registered, you do not need to show this permit.

I will just be using the car until next year when the shaken expires and the seller is going out from japan so he seems to doesn't care. but it is legal to drive a "friends" car? in japan? If I get into an accident I just have to run away right?
                          The insurance is the tricky part. Do make sure that it is insured till the shaken runs out and the terms state that a second driver (you) is ok. If you do have an accident you should be ok driving a friends car who is 'temporarily out of the country' (of course with the intent to return, but he has to attend some serious business, etc.) But if you cause an accident without insurance you will have to pay for the damage yourself. Don't count on 'running away' which could end you up in jail.

Comment

Originally posted by ttokyo View Post
                            If you REGISTER the car, you need to prove that you have a parking space. As the car is obviously registered, you do not need to show this permit.

The insurance is the tricky part. Do make sure that it is insured till the shaken runs out and the terms state that a second driver (you) is ok. If you do have an accident you should be ok driving a friends car who is 'temporarily out of the country' (of course with the intent to return, but he has to attend some serious business, etc.) But if you cause an accident without insurance you will have to pay for the damage yourself. Don't count on 'running away' which could end you up in jail.
                            Yes and no.

Let's say you're living at home and you "purchase" the car from your dad. The car is registered in his name and he has the parking permit stuff sorted out. You simply park the car in his space each night and most likely nothing really needs to be changed. Your dad will still be the owner of the car so any problems with the car will go to him.

However, if you live in Tokyo and you "purchase" the car from your dad who lives in Saitama, then his parking permit will probably be for Saitama, not for Tokyo. Unless you intend to park in Saitama every night, you most likely will have to apply for a parking permit in Tokyo (for any type of long term residential parking) which means paperwork and police. You could just find some cheap lot and park there and nobody will probably be the wiser unless there's some trouble. Of course, you could just leave it on the street and hope for the best, but since it's still in your dad's name then any problems will be sent his way.

In either case since your dad's name is on the title, he probably has all the insurance and everything sorted out and will most likely be there to help you if you have any problems.

Now, if you're buying the car from a "friend" (i.e., a complete stranger) then things might be a little more complicated. There should be an official transfer of ownership, so technically you're driving around in a vehicle you don't own. If it's still in their name, any sh*t that hits the fan should blow in their direction. But, if they find themselves in trouble, they could just say that they sold you the car and you said you were going take car of things. The "new owner" is the one responsible for taking care of all the relevant paperwork and all that stuff. You might find yourself fighting with your friend over who is responsible for any car trouble you have.

Of course, if you know your "friend" really well, then you don't have to worry about any of that. They probably be cool about it and help you if you have any problems. You can probably even "return" the car to them just before the shaken runs out and get them to renew it for you so you can continue to use the car.

Good luck. Let us know what happens.

Comment

so far so good.
                              I use the car and put it on a random street every time after. I have to walk a little to go home but it's free.
                              the shakken is going to end this year so it's going to be bye-bye .

Comment

Working...
                              X