Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

United Air and Hawaiian air are on my ____list.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United Air and Hawaiian air are on my ____list.

Will never fly with those two companies again. United is a terrible company which doesn't offer any kind of free meal for economy flyers, and charge a ridiculous amount for food and drinks, and only accept credit cards (which I don't use)

And Hawaiian is pretty much the same, with the exception of one free meal.

AND I WAS PROMISED IN-FLIGHT WIFI. WHERE THE F*CK WAS THAT, UA?

Next time I'll be flying directly from Canada through either Air Canada, or JAL.

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
    Will never fly with those two companies again. United is a terrible company which doesn't offer any kind of free meal for economy flyers, and charge a ridiculous amount for food and drinks, and only accept credit cards (which I don't use)

And Hawaiian is pretty much the same, with the exception of one free meal.

AND I WAS PROMISED IN-FLIGHT WIFI. WHERE THE F*CK WAS THAT, UA?

Next time I'll be flying directly from Canada through either Air Canada, or JAL.
    "Beer and wine is complimentary in United Economy on trans-Pacific international flights and on flights within Asia and Micronesia. Sake is also complimentary on trans-Pacific international flights to and from Japan."

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...s/default.aspx

Comment

Shouldn't that say "beer and wine are complimentary"????

At any rate, United is a crap airline for suckers that have no options (and my sincere sympathies to them). Why anybody would take them instead of flying direct from Canada is beyond me.

JAL is the only airline worth flying from the Wet Coast, and even they kind of stink.

IHOMO.

Comment

Originally posted by kurogane View Post
        At any rate, United is a crap airline for suckers that have no options (and my sincere sympathies to them). Why anybody would take them instead of flying direct from Canada is beyond me.
        Just don't TELL them that they are crap - else you'll find yourself handcuffed and arrested for "threatening a flight attendant" ... I once called a FA a wench. She was not happy about it.

Comment

Yes, yes, United is crap, but it's still acceptable crap for many when you take into account where one must travel, and the ability to generate and use miles on a variety of other airlines (I've done well sticking to the Star Alliance). Avoid UA if you can, but it's not the end of the world if you must use them. They offer free beer and wine on flights to the States, video on demand and something that passes for food. There's not much more other airlines can do to make a 10-hour flight in economy class not suck.

Comment

Economy united sux, but their business class is pretty bluddy good. It's a totally different set of service standards.

The rudest flight attendant I've ever encountered was on a united flight. Her name was Lakeisha if memory serves me correctly. I lodged a complaint and called United in the States while I was there and was given a free upgrade to business on the way back to Japan.

Still, I will never fly them again. I only fly Delta to the US now. Personally, I think they have the best cabin attendants outside of the asian airlines and stopping over in hawaii is always nice. Their economy plus is average compared to other carriers, but I've been bumped up twice just by being nice to the check in attendants at the airport, so I can't complain too much. But their food service is about the worst around.

Anybody got a better carrier to the states? I hate flying backwards to go forwards so Korean is ruled out along with a few others.

Comment

So you recommend DELTA for flights from Tokyo to L.A.?

Does DELTA fly from Haneda and stop over in Hawaii?

Might be interested.

Comment

When we came to Japan with our baby ( I forget the exact age ) we specifically requested the basonnet seat so that it would be easier for my wife and I.

After we took off and everything was clear, we asked for the basonnet. The stewardess said, " No, your baby is too big. " I said that we bought the tickets because of the seat and as a matter of fact, had the baby at the travel agent when we got the tickets. The agent had called United directly to get the information on the seat.

Long story short, I demanded the seat from her, threatened to get it myself. She left. The co-piolt came out to talk to me and repeated that safety was their main concern and there are rules about size and weight.

I said, " Yes, I know. That's why we had the agent call UA directly. I pointed out that if your company can't agree on what's what, don't take it out on the customers that are paying you. We are paying for a service, I reminded him. "

His counter was, " No matter what is said by anyone before a flight, the ultimate decision rests with the crew and piolt on ALL decisions while in the air. "

We got the basonnet. ( I had to agree to watch the baby carefully )

Comment

Originally posted by Shimokitazawa View Post

Might be interested.
                  If you're flying LAX to Haneda, take ANA.

Comment

Originally posted by kurogane View Post
                    Shouldn't that say "beer and wine are complimentary"????

JAL is the only airline worth flying from the Wet Coast, and even they kind of stink.

IHOMO.
                    BUT, one cannot always get a seat with JAL or Air Canada (I try not to use AC!), so you end up on UA. The worst part about UA means that you have to go into the States and experience that country's anal, intrusive (apparently anally intrusive on occasion) customs and immigrations routines.

And to rib you........Shouldn't that be
                    "United is a crap airline for suckers who have no options." ?
                    Last edited by Super Grover; 2012-10-04, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimokitazawa View Post

Might be interested.

Don't know about Tokyo, and I've never used ANA (apart from domestic). But from Kansai to Honolulu to LA, I've had nothing but good experiences with Delta. I book the tickets myself online. They have a pretty good app as well.

You know, once upon a time I liked JAL. They used to let me sit in the flight attendant seats and I'd have a chat and get a phone number or two. But then one year, I was choking out a bit of a troublesome beast and was in the toilet for a big longer than usual and a flight attendant comes banging on the toilet door accusing me of smoking in the crapper. It was relentless. BUT, because I was in the middle of my session, I could hardly finish up on the spot and open the door. Finally I exit the bogger and released an almighty spray on her and drove her to tears. Turns out it was somebody in the next toilet sucking on a durrie. Suffice to say I got a hefty voucher out of the embarrassment of it all.

Another time I was flying business with them and had some friends in economy (by chance) so I skipped into the pleb section to have a chat and as I tried to re-enter my plush business class cabin, a total ____ of a flight attendant rudely proclaimed that I didn't belong in there and to go back and sit down! Sure enough, I played it cool and got her even more tangled up and got a free taxi ride from the airport to my place out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hijinx View Post
                        "Beer and wine is complimentary in United Economy on trans-Pacific international flights and on flights within Asia and Micronesia. Sake is also complimentary on trans-Pacific international flights to and from Japan."

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...s/default.aspx
                        Someone might want to go over that and change it to "Beer and wine are (maybe, depends if I'm feeling extra _____y) complimentary..."

But yeah, nothing free was offered, other than orange juice, water or coffee half way through the flight.

Comment

[QUOTE=Hijinx;1283485]Yes, yes, United is crap, but it's still acceptable crap for many when you take into account where one must travel...............QUOTE]

That was my condition, after all.
                          No need to fly them to the West Coast, IHOMO.

I haven't flown them since The Greatest Tragedy Ever Sold, but even back then, it was the great white dollie dollies that made it as unpleasant as it was.

Originally posted by Super Grover View Post
                          BUT, one cannot always get a seat with JAL or Air Canada (I try not to use AC!), so you end up on UA. The worst part about UA means that you have to go into the States and experience that country's anal, intrusive (apparently anally intrusive on occasion) customs and immigrations routines.

And to rib you........Shouldn't that be
                          "United is a crap airline for suckers who have no options." ?
                          Really, eh!? I have never had vacancy issues with JAL, but I can usually adjust to suit.

I refuse to fly Air Canada.

And just to rib you back..............I don't think so, or not anymore, according to the New Grammar.

Didn't we just go over that one a while back on here somewhere????

Whereas "Beer and Wine" are an are.

AAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Last edited by kurogane; 2012-10-05, 04:09 AM.

Comment

So many think DELTA is good, it is surely not. The only thing they are good for is hard landings, bunch of cowboy pilots those. Never fly delta international. It sucks. They don't even have on demand like many others. Long story short. All US companies sucks donkey balls, australian companies are ok but their hostesses are elephants with cracked faces, at times not getting between the seats. Asian airlines, nice hostesses, but avoid Cathay, sometimes (mostly) they have jumbos from the 80's.

Middle eastern airlines, failsafe, best food, services by far, go with qatar and emirates, they are great. Other than that, lufthansa and other E.U. operators are good, but avoid Alitalia unless you like old noisy aircraft md-10s, maybe they upgraded by now, but considering how many times the government bailed them out, I would doubt it. These aircraft ofcourse would not be unsafe from a flying perspective as they get the job done, I remember a few cargo runs we had to do, but from a passanger comfort perspective, safe and working compared to relaxed environment and entertainment don't go hand in hand, especially not in cattle class.

By the to the op that complained about the hostess above. American hostesses are getting to snobbish and don't want to work so I support your decision. On the other hand, for the rest of them, please be considerate seeing that many don't really sleep that much anymore. Those days of the week layover are long gone, so what you are dealing with now is tired worn out people suffering from jet lag pretending to be happy. If you ____ them off, they do have ways to get back at you. Even pilots do this sometimes.

In some small charters I did, all it took was a hostess telling me a corporate client was being an arse and trying to touch her and I would play with rudder pedals. It was funny, that use to make them so airsick they just can't help but to vomit all over the place.

So do tread lightly, they don't like being stuck in cattle class as it is know in the aviation world, just as you don't like those small seats that hurt your arse after 2 hours.

My favorite has always been swiss, I really use to like them. Shame they didn't do that well.

Comment

Working...
                            X