Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Commuting Pass is it rountrip or one way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commuting Pass is it rountrip or one way?

Hi everyone, I just want to make sure before buying the commuting pass. My understanding of it is that I can travel to station A and B back and forth daily for 1 month or 3 months or 6 months right? So for example I can travel from Takadanobaba to Ueno and Ueno to Takadanobaba.

Thanks!

simple answer is: yes.

Comment

Thanks a lot!

Comment

And all stops between are also allowed.

Comment

Yes, and you can get on and off at any point between those stations any time you want

Comment

Oh and Saturdays are free travel between those points.

At least it was with mine.

Comment

Was yours some kind of special student pass or something like that? Regular passes are good for all stops between on all days.

Comment

The cost of a montly commuter pass is usually about the same as 15-20 round-trips, but you can
                + use it to get in/out at any station between the two
                + use it on weekends

The problem, however, is that you have to pay the price for a 'new ticket' if you e.g. want to go from Ueno to Shinjuku and not just the difference for the extra distance.

So it might even make sense to buy a ticket Shinjuku<->Ueno (same price) if you plan to visit Shinjuku now and then, but I don't know whether you could exit at Takadanobaba with it or need to take the Chuo line....

Comment

Originally posted by Effected After View Post
                  Was yours some kind of special student pass or something like that? Regular passes are good for all stops between on all days.
                  Nope not a student pass. IT was a usual teikiken you had to renew at the trainstation each month.

So yeah you pay for the travel for usual days between 2 points and then (I believe it was only) saturdays (could also be sundays) travel for free between those points. Or soemthing like that. anyway i quit that a long time ago and have a Pitapa now which is muuuuuuuuuch better and cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by wernst View Post
                    Nope not a student pass. IT was a usual teikiken you had to renew at the trainstation each month.

So yeah you pay for the travel for usual days between 2 points and then (I believe it was only) saturdays (could also be sundays) travel for free between those points. Or soemthing like that. anyway i quit that a long time ago and have a Pitapa now which is muuuuuuuuuch better and cheaper.

All commuter train passes are valid for entry / exit for all stations between, and including, the two shown on the pass for all days through the expiration date shown on the pass. You can get on and off twenty times in one day at different stations all along your route, 7 days a week, without paying anything extra. Go one station beyond your route, however, and pay full price for that one stop.

For a pass between Takadanobaba and Ueno, you can specify the exact route (e.g. Yamanote north via Ikebukuro; Yamanote south through Shinagawa; or via the Chuo line). The price will change depending upon the length of the route you choose. You can then use the stations on that route only for free. For example, if you go to Shinagawa several times a month, it might be worth it to pay for the longer Yamanote route from Takadanobaba to Ueno. Nobody will be care that you usually ride through the northern end of the Yamanote line (shorter route) on your daily commute.

Comment

Personally, I shy away from buying 3 month or 6 month commuter passes and stick with the 1 month ones, just in case I lose the thing!

Comment

why dont you guys use SUICA? or whats the other one called in Tokyo? ICOCA?

Comment

It's not an if/or situation - you can get your commuter pass put on your card, and use it as a commuter pass when on the stops that fall within the range of your pass, and as a regular IC charge card when you are at other stations.

Comment

Originally posted by Since1990 View Post
                            Personally, I shy away from buying 3 month or 6 month commuter passes and stick with the 1 month ones, just in case I lose the thing!
                            Your name/details are on it. If you lose it they can cancel the lost card and issue you a new one, complete with any charge you had on it too
                            And before you ask, i already did: If you move/lose your job/etc before the 6 months is up you can get a refund on the remaining days.

A 6 month pass is cheaper than the other options, although a decent outlay (mine was one of the cheaper ones at 39,500)

Wernst, this IS a Suica/ICOCA/Pasmo (depending on your route). It just has extra features (free trips between the two stations indicated). Works out cheaper, more convenient and in most cases, paid for by your company... For example 190yen each way for me to get to work = 1900yen per week x 26 weeks = 49,400yen vs 39500yen for the pass, and thats assuming you ONLY use it during the weekdays, and never get out on any stops in between

Comment

Working...
                            X