Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Top

Collapse

Painting the house....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Painting the house....

    There are two outside walls of our house I would like to re-paint.
    But even after searching for months I cannot find a shop that actually sells more colours than the same half a dozen....

    Anyone knows about this?

    Thanks....

  • #2
    Cainz has a few more than half a dozen, if you can find an outlet near you.

    But the choices do seem limited.

    Cainz own brand only has 4 colors...

    Ever noticed the color of the cars here??

    Not a lot of individualism going on....

    Comment


    • #3
      Did you ask about colors? In the States, you choose the type/brand of paint you want, then choose from a color chart and the color is then mixed into the base paint.

      Comment


      • #4
        what colour are you looking for?

        I know the home centers (Like Conan) have paint... but Im sure you have already tried there.

        A quick google brought up these guys -
        http://www.nipponpaint.co.jp/

        They seem to do paint mixing and also exterior stuff. Could you try to find a local stockist? http://www.nipponpaint.com/for-home/exterior.php

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by John Grey View Post
          There are two outside walls of our house I would like to re-paint.
          But even after searching for months I cannot find a shop that actually sells more colours than the same half a dozen....
          Anyone knows about this?
          Thanks....
          Forget about DIY stores, very few people in Japan paint anything larger than small pieces of furniture (they leave house-painting up to the pros).
          Here is info to a paint store in Yokosuka called PaintKan (associated with Ogino Kasei Co. Ltd. around the corner).

          The map on the page below shows the PaintKan and Kasei buildings in red (PaintKan is on the left), near Kita Kurihama station.
          http://www.paintkan.jp/company/index.html

          This page shows the Atom house paint corner of the PaintKan store. It says prices are cheaper than chain stores.
          http://www.paintkan.jp/paint/diy/080702atomu-1.html

          Google maps link to PaintKan:
          http://goo.gl/maps/LoSqn
          §239-0835@_“ސ쌧‰¡{‰êŽs²Œ´4-1-9
          4-1-9 Sahara, Yokosuka-shi, Kanagawa-ken, Japan

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Hijinx View Post
            Did you ask about colors? In the States, you choose the type/brand of paint you want, then choose from a color chart and the color is then mixed into the base paint.
            Totally alien concept here. Paint is the most protected and dysfunctional product I have come across in this fair, protectionism on steroids, country. There is pretty much only Nippon paint sold through various brand and own brand names and that's it. It is expensive, available in a very limited range of finishes, so so in quality at best and available in perhaps 5 plain vanilla colours.

            I painted an exterior wall a while ago and clearly one can from one batch was faulty. It dried far too slowly compared to the other can from a different batch and ran in the rain 36 hours after it had been applied. Even though there was undeniable evidence, Nippon Paint refused to accept the possibility and refused to make good on the product even for good will. They were of course happy to waste an hour or more on the phone arguing the toss and demanded I sent pictures of everything before they would even discuss the problem. Customer care is a truly an alien concept at times for Japanese companies.

            Oh how I wish ICI/Dulux were here. They would destroy these complacent idiots.

            Comment


            • #7
              mix da paint

              Comment


              • #8
                Why do you want to paint your house ? Are you unemployed ? Just call a painting company, tell them the grade and they'll do it nicer and cheaper than you could ever do it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Brown Cow View Post
                  available in perhaps 5 plain vanilla colours.
                  The website seems to show a variety of colors.


                  http://www.nippehome.co.jp/prd/index_2.html

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Tatsuo View Post
                    Why do you want to paint your house ? Are you unemployed ? Just call a painting company, tell them the grade and they'll do it nicer and cheaper than you could ever do it.
                    But then what do you do with that free time? C'mon, Japan is boring enough. Painting a house gives one an interesting thing to do while drinking beer.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Hijinx View Post
                      The website seems to show a variety of colors.


                      http://www.nippehome.co.jp/prd/index_2.html
                      At a glance, a grand total of 16 colours for interior paint. And they will not be available at your local DIY shed or in the slightly cheaper own brand range. So yes, if you think 16 colours as opposed to thousands is OK and you are prepared to pay whatever premium is necessary to get your hands on the precious liquid, then great.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Tatsuo View Post
                        Why do you want to paint your house ? Are you unemployed ? Just call a painting company, tell them the grade and they'll do it nicer and cheaper than you could ever do it.
                        You reckon? A bit better perhaps but not always by any means. Cheaper? Not for most jobs and certainly not for interior work.

                        Depends on the job though. If it is a complete outside repaint and you need scaffolding plus pro grade powerwash then that is a major cost and it changes everything.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Brown Cow View Post
                          At a glance, a grand total of 16 colours for interior paint. And they will not be available at your local DIY shed or in the slightly cheaper own brand range. So yes, if you think 16 colours as opposed to thousands is OK and you are prepared to pay whatever premium is necessary to get your hands on the precious liquid, then great.
                          I see you have strong views on this matter.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I dislike systemic rip offs that's for sure. I also dislike being denied the opportunity to do what I wish with my own property.
                            Last edited by Brown Cow; 2012-10-27, 01:57 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by hml View Post
                              mix da paint
                              Not a bad idea at all - the practicalities will take a bit of working out. Might well work on that though.

                              Thanks.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X