Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Getting a new shaken-sho after old one expires

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jrp View Post
    Yep, it's looking like it will be easier to get a shop to do it.

I've got one of those people mover thingees, so it's in the 1,501-2,000 kg bracket (2.7L engine). I needed to get a battery for it today and checked out the prices for them to do the shaken as well.
    Yellow Hat is 98,740.
    Autobac is 95,850

Although Mr Ludd, your 80,000 sounds even better (I guess that depends on the size of your care though).

Autobac offered a free 12 month safety check when they changed the battery (well worth the 500 yen it cost for them to do it since they took the old battery).

One interesting thing I learnt too. If you get the shaken up to one month before the present one expires, they postdate the new shaken to the date the old one expires. If you do it one month and one day earlier, then the shaken starts the day it passed.

Not overly keen on Yellow Hat. They were honest with me when I went to buy a new battery and they told me it was the generator. Gave me the money back for the battery. But, tried them for a shaken estimate and they told me I would need a new shifter lever and transmission (350,000 yen) when all that was needed was a slight bending of a small piece of metal (which I did myself.) Places that don't rely on repairs for most of their business usually better.

Comment

Originally posted by flrgaijinpot View Post
      So, what's the point of buying 25 months of compulsory liability insurance when it will not apply, according to your information. It seems to be a standard option when renewing the compulsory insurance.
      What if your car doesn't pass inspection and you need to make repairs? You could easily end up with no insurance at the end of the "shaken" period. It's a buffer.

Comment

Originally posted by hml View Post
        What if your car doesn't pass inspection and you need to make repairs? You could easily end up with no insurance at the end of the "shaken" period. It's a buffer.
        Well, you just said that insurance is not valid after Shaken expires so it appears to be pointless. But I don't know this for a fact because I haven't looked into it. I also have supplementary insurance and can look at that policy.

I know for a fact that in the US your insurance is valid if your registration expires. In States that don't require insurance to register a car there is no connection between insurance and registration. Similarly, my private insurance in Japan for the car has no connection to shaken apart from the fact that it is supplementary to the compulsory insurance, which could indeed be the catch.

Anyway, from this thread I learned that you can renew up to a month in advance and still retain the current "cycle" if I understood the information correctly. So I plan to renew early.

Comment

If you're talking about jibai-seki insurance, then you would need that to rent the plates off the local ward office. It covers you while driving on the slash plates, and is needed before they will rent you the plates. I guess that's why he went for 25 months. To cover time driving to and from the DMV etc.

Comment

Originally posted by flrgaijinpot View Post
            Well, you just said that insurance is not valid after Shaken expires so it appears to be pointless.
            Not necessarily. If you need both, then it's definitely got a point.

Comment

Working...
            X