Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Law regarding abandoned property

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Law regarding abandoned property

What are the laws regarding property that has been abandoned and not maintained or otherwise used over a long period of time?

I've been reading about a couple of mining towns in Chichibu that closed down after the ore gave out and everyone moved away. Most of the facilities/buildings have rotted away to the point that they are unusable but the towns were developed and held a decent population of from 5,000 or more people at their peak.

Squatting J-Style

http://kenelwood.wordpress.com/2010/...apan-a-primer/

Adverse Possession of Abandoned Land

Looks interesting

Comment

Originally posted by edin“ú–{ View Post
      What are the laws regarding property that has been abandoned and not maintained or otherwise used over a long period of time?

I've been reading about a couple of mining towns in Chichibu that closed down after the ore gave out and everyone moved away. Most of the facilities/buildings have rotted away to the point that they are unusable but the towns were developed and held a decent population of from 5,000 or more people at their peak.
      If you're thinking of Nichitsu Mining Town (Nichitsu Kouzan Muraƒjƒbƒ`ƒczŽR‘º) in Chichibu , Saitama (’•ƒŽs, é‹ÊŒ§), this site has a lot of information on it:

http://www.haikyo.org/ja/haikyo/hais...u-kouzan-mura/

Google Map: http://goo.gl/maps/mnjQn

However, the Nichitsu Mining Company is still active nearby and they regularly inspect it (and kick out trespassers).

Comment

Originally posted by NorthByNorthwest View Post
        If you're thinking of Nichitsu Mining Town (Nichitsu Kouzan Muraƒjƒbƒ`ƒczŽR‘º) in Chichibu , Saitama (’•ƒŽs, é‹ÊŒ§), this site has a lot of information on it:

http://www.haikyo.org/ja/haikyo/hais...u-kouzan-mura/

Google Map: http://goo.gl/maps/mnjQn

However, the Nichitsu Mining Company is still active nearby and they regularly inspect it (and kick out trespassers).
        They claim to own the entire valley that the town is in. I'm aware of that...

I have a white elephant beso in Naeba, it's across from the Prince Hotel. The property recently went up for sale and was purchased (for the princely sum of 1 million yen) by the company that currently owns the Prince Hotel chain. They've been buying up everything that comes on the market in that area. Why I don't know...

If I could find a suitable location I'd like to emulate what this farmer did in Gifu with an abandoned onsen. He now grows dragonfruit (6 months from starting a cutting to first fruit) and other exotics there and keeps the temperature up in the winter by heating his greenhouses with the water from the onsen.

Comment

If you mean the real property underneath, I am going to go with In Perpituity.

Japanese property rights are surpirisngly absolutist in their individualistic orientation.

Or are you looking to abscond with a cool old house from someone else's property????

Now that would be a caper Uncle and I could get in on.

Comment

Originally posted by edin“ú–{ View Post
            .... I'd like to emulate what this farmer did in Gifu with an abandoned onsen. He now grows dragonfruit (6 months from starting a cutting to first fruit) and other exotics there and keeps the temperature up in the winter by heating his greenhouses with the water from the onsen.
            I hope that you pick something other than dragon fruit - as it is just plain nasty. Good to look at, but has almost zero taste and is like semi-liquid glue when concentrated.

Also - 6 months to first fruit is a bit off - since it only fruits once a year, and that after you have manually pollinated it - unless of course you have the imported bats or moths or rats, or whatever it is that pollinates it in the middle of the night.

I'd be thinking of a hot-dogging park or something - but dragon fruit?

Comment

Originally posted by TJrandom View Post
              I hope that you pick something other than dragon fruit - as it is just plain nasty. Good to look at, but has almost zero taste and is like semi-liquid glue when concentrated.

Also - 6 months to first fruit is a bit off - since it only fruits once a year, and that after you have manually pollinated it - unless of course you have the imported bats or moths or rats, or whatever it is that pollinates it in the middle of the night.

I'd be thinking of a hot-dogging park or something - but dragon fruit?
              The guy up in Gifu is raising these extremely sweet hybrids, guess they've been adjusted for Japanese taste. There's lots of things that can be done if the right piece of property can be made off with.

Comment

Working...
              X