Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Can I get a J Int Driving Permit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I get a J Int Driving Permit?

I have a Japanese driving license, based on my UK driving license. I need an International Driving Permit for when I go on holiday. I can't get a UK one because my photocard has expired. Can I get one based on the Japanese license? If so, any idea how I'd go about doing it? Thanks.

Originally posted by Diplodocus View Post
    I have a Japanese driving license, based on my UK driving license. I need an International Driving Permit for when I go on holiday. I can't get a UK one because my photocard has expired. Can I get one based on the Japanese license? If so, any idea how I'd go about doing it? Thanks.
    Just go to the license bureau - they issue them on the spot. It takes 30 minutes or so.

I used to get them but stopped - as I found that car rental companies will still rent you a car when you present your Japan license - at least in the US.

Comment

I just renew my UK licence using my brother's address and him forwarding the documents/licence. That's the easiest solution.

The car hire companies at Heathrow at least won't accept a Japanese licence - I asked them once just out of interest. They say they can't read the address or anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by TJrandom View Post
        Just go to the license bureau - they issue them on the spot. It takes 30 minutes or so.

I used to get them but stopped - as I found that car rental companies will still rent you a car when you present your Japan license - at least in the US.
        Yes, you can get one at a ‰^“]–Æ‹–ƒZƒ“ƒ^[ (unten menkyo sentaa). I've done it quite a few times. It's not a complicated process at all. In Japanese, it's called a ‘ŠO–Æ‹–Ø (kokugai menkyo shou)

I'd call your nearest driver's license center before heading though just to confirm the times they are open. The center by me is only open on weekdays from about 8:30 to 4:00, and they take a two hour lunch break from 11:00 to 1:00. It can take 15 to 20 minutes even when it's not busy. If you just get to the window at 10:55, you might have to wait until after 1:00 pm to get actually your license.

You will need the following:
        - Application
        - 1 Photo (5cm x 4cm, taken within 6 months, no hat, no background, top of shoulders upwards, etc.)
        * I always use the photo machine at the DMV.
        - Current driver's license
        - Passport (proof that you can travel abroad)
        - Any other International Driving Permit you may have received before (if you have one). You're supposed turn your old IDL in when they expire or report them if you lose them.
        - 2400 yen

Maybe this link will help find which driver's license center is nearest to you. Just click on your prefecture.
        http://www.npa.go.jp/annai/license_renewal/links.htm

Comment

Thanks very much for all the info. I think my nearest centre is Fuchu, so I will try them and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by bogin View Post
            Yes, you can get one at a ‰^“]–Æ‹–ƒZƒ“ƒ^[ (unten menkyo sentaa). I've done it quite a few times. It's not a complicated process at all. In Japanese, it's called a ‘ŠO–Æ‹–Ø (kokugai menkyo shou)

I'd call your nearest driver's license center before heading though just to confirm the times they are open. The center by me is only open on weekdays from about 8:30 to 4:00, and they take a two hour lunch break from 11:00 to 1:00. It can take 15 to 20 minutes even when it's not busy. If you just get to the window at 10:55, you might have to wait until after 1:00 pm to get actually your license.

You will need the following:
            - Application
            - 1 Photo (5cm x 4cm, taken within 6 months, no hat, no background, top of shoulders upwards, etc.)
            * I always use the photo machine at the DMV.
            - Current driver's license
            - Passport (proof that you can travel abroad)
            - Any other International Driving Permit you may have received before (if you have one). You're supposed turn your old IDL in when they expire or report them if you lose them.
            - 2400 yen

Maybe this link will help find which driver's license center is nearest to you. Just click on your prefecture.
            http://www.npa.go.jp/annai/license_renewal/links.htm
            Posts like this are what makes this forum worth coming back to.

It needs more people like you and less of the time wasters.

Comment

I thought you could apply for those at any police station (not police box)...

Comment

You can get them at any police station that issues license renewals, for example the Sangenjaya station in Tokyo.

Comment

Originally posted by bogin View Post
                  Yes, you can get one at a ‰^“]–Æ‹–ƒZƒ“ƒ^[ (unten menkyo sentaa). I've done it quite a few times. It's not a complicated process at all. In Japanese, it's called a ‘ŠO–Æ‹–Ø (kokugai menkyo shou)...
                  I just wanted to say thanks very much for all the help. I got one at the same office I got my J Licence from, it took about 15 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                  X