Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

New year's trip

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New year's trip

Dear fellow gaijin,

I would like to make a trip during the New Year's break which basically starts on saturday. I know it is very late for any planning, but I had no time before and I have basically no idea what are the good places to go, since I live in Tokyo, Japan for less then 3 months. Could you help me with some general or specific clues, where a japan-newbie could go, meaning nice and not very crowded places, where booking accomodation would still be possible?

How about Kobe or Hiroshima?
    You can usually book business hotels at late notice.
    Sunroute...Toyoko Inn, There are a bunch of them
    What are you interested in seeing?

Comment

Originally posted by twelvedown View Post
      How about Kobe or Hiroshima?
      You can usually book business hotels at late notice.
      Sunroute...Toyoko Inn, There are a bunch of them
      What are you interested in seeing?
      Thanks for the answer. I think I am interested in some more traditional japanese sights after statying for almost 3 months in Tokyo. I was thinking about Kyoto, maybe for the 3-6 of January, but could be any other tradition-oriented city. Perhaps before that it would be nice to see some countryside, since I have not seen any yet...

Comment

Originally posted by seff2 View Post
        Thanks for the answer. I think I am interested in some more traditional japanese sights after statying for almost 3 months in Tokyo. I was thinking about Kyoto, maybe for the 3-6 of January, but could be any other tradition-oriented city. Perhaps before that it would be nice to see some countryside, since I have not seen any yet...
        It's possible you would have a hard time getting home from anywhere on Jan 6 if you haven't booked transport already. Shinkansens are very likely to be sold out.

Actually, one of the quietest places to be over New Year is Tokyo because so many people flee to thrir home towns. That said, try going to Meiji Shrine on Jan 1 -- crowds like you've never seen, but worth doing it once for the experience.

Comment

Kyoto will be busy busy busy. How about Nara?

Comment

Originally posted by iago View Post
            ...Actually, one of the quietest places to be over New Year is Tokyo because so many people flee to thrir home towns. That said, try going to Meiji Shrine on Jan 1 -- crowds like you've never seen, but worth doing it once for the experience.
            Good point. Yes, Tokyo is very quiet around the New Year.

Comment

Well, I really would not like to stay in Tokyo in that time, especially that (unfortunately as many people) I do not have to work durin New Year. If you say that Kyoto is so busy, that perhaps something else. Nara seems nice. I am also thinking about Nikko, although it is probably to little for many days of sightseeing. The possibilities are very numerous and I have no idea where to start and how to choose, therefore I apprieciate all of your help.

Comment

Hokkaido is nice. Stay at an onsen in Noboribetsu or around lake Toya.

Most people go to warmer places so you may still be able to get a flight(MAYBE).

Comment

Originally posted by Ken44 View Post
                  Good point. Yes, Tokyo is very quiet around the New Year.
                  New Year was always the time I enjoyed being in the city the most. It's about the only time you can see the forest through the trees, as they say.

Wistfully,
                  A.

Comment

Thanks for all your help. Because of time, my lack of experience and distances, finally I decided that we are going to spend 3 days in Osaka and then 3 days in Kyoto. Now I need to find out where to go. Probably Nara will be one of the trips from Osaka.

Comment

Originally posted by seff2 View Post
                      Thanks for all your help. Because of time, my lack of experience and distances, finally I decided that we are going to spend 3 days in Osaka and then 3 days in Kyoto. Now I need to find out where to go. Probably Nara will be one of the trips from Osaka.
                      name your poison....

for new year's eve.... try Universal Studios. Lots of young folk... and that.

Sumiyoshi Taishi in south Osaka is the temple to go to. THOUSANDS will attend.

Ise Shrine is three hours down the line if you really enjoy crowds.

near Hanshin Nishinomiya Station is Ebisu Jinja. Sannomiya's Ikuta Jinja and Kobe's Minatogawa jinja. They all make up three larger shrines to the west.

The bell ringing in Nara park is peaceful.... if you like a solemn night of it. damned cold, though. ditto for Kyoto. Where double heat tech.

Comment

I know this is too late now, but maybe others are wondering about places that are not so crowded around the New Year's Holidays.
                        I've been to many places every year and almost everywhere it was crowded.
                        However, almost nobody was in Yakushima as winter is totally not the season to go. If you don't mind then that's a good place to go.
                        Also, Kumejima (Okinawa Prefecture) has not many tourists in general.

The question is if those places interest you or not.

Comment

Working...
                        X