Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Translating Japanese licence to English

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Translating Japanese licence to English

Hi,

This post may not be appropriate for this forum, sorry.
    I like to know how to translate my Japanese license(converted) to English.
    By the way, I will use it to get a license from NSW, AUS.

-SM

The JAC Japan Automobile Club do that i think.

Comment

Or failing that, the JAF (who do exist) might. But doesn't an IDP from the licensing centre do the same thing (i.e. provide an English translation of the key information)?

Comment

I stand corrected, yes the JAF

Never used the licensing center but did use JAF and they were good.

Comment

JAF, as stated above. Its in one of the hundreds of web pages on the net about how to get your license converted. Costs 3150yen if i recall correctly

Also note, that the NSW license does not state *when* the license was obtained. You will need to get a driving license history from the RTA, which also needs to be converted (same place). Its all very straight-forward for Australian licenses, but prepare to take at least half a day to do it all

Comment

Originally posted by tokyo_dom View Post
            JAF, as stated above. Its in one of the hundreds of web pages on the net about how to get your license converted. Costs 3150yen if i recall correctly

Also note, that the NSW license does not state *when* the license was obtained. You will need to get a driving license history from the RTA, which also needs to be converted (same place). Its all very straight-forward for Australian licenses, but prepare to take at least half a day to do it all
            I believe he's looking to go the other way and get an existing Japanese license converted to a NSW license...

Comment

Completely missed that! In that case:
              http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...l_drivers.html
              Important: If your overseas licence is not written in English, you must provide an official translation from the NSW Community Relations Commission For a Multi-Cultural NSW
              Has to be done here
              http://www.crc.nsw.gov.au/services/language_services

Comment

I like to know whether JP licensing authority can give an English translation or can issue a letter mentioning my license history.
                The catch is: my JP license was not renewed within allowed time after expiration. Though they gave me a blue one, but mentioned renew date as issue date (2 years ago). Actually I am having JP license for 5 years.
                Any suggestion to get such letter or detail translation??

Comment

I like to know whether JP licensing authority can give an English translation or can issue a letter mentioning my license history.
                  The catch is: my JP license was not renewed within allowed time after expiration. Though they gave me a blue one, but mentioned renew date as issue date (2 years ago). Actually I am having JP license for 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by zombie2 View Post
                    Here's a list of driving centers in Japan.

http://www.menkyo.car-u.co.jp/zenkoku.html

Find the one nearest to you and give them a call.

If they cannot help you then here is a list of JAF (Japan Auto Federation) offices in Japan.

http://www.jaf.or.jp/e/list.htm

Find the one nearest to you and give them a call.

Comment

What happens next?
                      If you have held your overseas driver or rider licence for less than 12 months, you will be issued a NSW provisional P1 licence. If you have held your overseas driver licence for more than 12 months but less than three years, a provisional P2 licence will be issued. If you have held your overseas driver licence for more than three years, you will be issued with a NSW unrestricted licence.

If you fail the driving test, your visiting driving privileges will be withdrawn. To continue to drive in NSW you must then get a learner licence that will allow you to drive and attempt another driving test.

You must provide documentary proof of the first issue date of your overseas licence if the period for which you have held the licence is to be recognised for the issue of a NSW licence. Before you first attend the registry, you may wish to obtain a letter from the licence issuing authority (on their letterhead) or from your relevant consulate or diplomatic office, confirming your licence details, including the first issue date. If the letter is not in English, an official translation as mentioned above, is also required.
                      you can get the letter of driving history from the Japanese licensing office, but it must be translated using the service above - i guess this is to guarantee authenticity

Comment

you can get the letter of driving history from the Japanese licensing office, but it must be translated using the service above - i guess this is to guarantee authenticity
                        And possibly generate a little bit of revenue as well unless of course they do it for free. That is internationally the bureaucratic way after all, isn't it?

Comment

Working...
                        X