Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

On getting stopped and fined...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On getting stopped and fined...

So I was driving by an area I don't really know and missed a stop sign, cops stopped me right away and asked to see my license. They took down the details and asked me for my phone number, which they also wrote down, then sent me on my way with a 気をつけてください.... so I'm just wondering... are they going to send me a fine at home and deduct points from my license or did I just get off scott-free? They didn't give me anything, didn't write me a ticket, etc.

Originally posted by moondog View Post
    So I was driving by an area I don't really know and missed a stop sign, cops stopped me right away and asked to see my license. They took down the details and asked me for my phone number, which they also wrote down, then sent me on my way with a 気をつけてください.... so I'm just wondering... are they going to send me a fine at home and deduct points from my license or did I just get off scott-free? They didn't give me anything, didn't write me a ticket, etc.
    Did you sign anything?

Comment

Nope, not a thing. They just took down my phone number, address, license number, etc.

Comment

Nope, not a thing. They just took down my phone number, address, license number, etc.
        Seems like you just got the given the golden G-card. Go forth, young handsome one and enjoy.

Comment

Happy motoring.

Comment

Originally posted by Hijinx View Post
            Did you sign anything?
            As Hijinx pointed out, you might be safe because you didn't sign anything. It sounds like you weren't driving 'that bad', even though you missed a sign. Cops can be fair as long as it's an honest mistake, it's not a school day/zone and especially if you're not being a putz.
            Did you speak to them at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Style View Post
              As Hijinx pointed out, you might be safe because you didn't sign anything. It sounds like you weren't driving 'that bad', even though you missed a sign. Cops can be fair as long as it's an honest mistake, it's not a school day/zone and especially if you're not being a putz.
              Did you speak to them at all?
              I spoke to them in English, even though I can kind of speak Japanese, as I thought that would help stave off an eventual ticket. They just showed me where I should have stopped and what to look for the next time.

Not so worried about the fine as the point deduction, they ended up giving me a beginner's license since I only had a newly renewed license when I did the conversion, which only gives me a 2 point deduction before they send me to a "rehabilitation class" and another 13,000 円 in fees...

Comment

So for the sake of reference for future readers, let's clear this up:

1) You have a blue license (beginners).

2) You ran a stop sign.

3) The cops stopped you, took your info, warned you but did not issue a ticket--you signed nothing.

4) You later talked to the cops and found out you received 2 points on your license.

5) You opted for the "rehabilitation class (fee: 13,000)" that wipes out the 2 points.

Is this information correct?

Comment

So for the sake of reference for future readers, let's clear this up:

1) You have a blue license (beginners).

2) You ran a stop sign.

3) The cops stopped you, took your info, warned you but did not issue a ticket--you signed nothing.

4) You later talked to the cops and found out you received 2 points on your license.

5) You opted for the "rehabilitation class (fee: 13,000)" that wipes out the 2 points.

Is this information correct?
                  4 and 5 didn't happen... I'm HOPING that they didn't deduct 2 points off my license, as that would lead to the "rehabilitation class". As you pointed out though, I didn't sign anything so I'm think they just let me off this time. Will let you guys know if I get some unwanted mail in the next month.

Comment

4 and 5 didn't happen... I'm HOPING that they didn't deduct 2 points off my license, as that would lead to the "rehabilitation class". As you pointed out though, I didn't sign anything so I'm think they just let me off this time. Will let you guys know if I get some unwanted mail in the next month.
                    Ah, I see. You're fine--but not fined. If you didn't get a ticket, which you sign, then you got off with a verbal warning--no points, no cost.

Comment

Ah, I see. You're fine--but not fined. If you didn't get a ticket, which you sign, then you got off with a verbal warning--no points, no cost.
                      You may pass GO
                      You may collect $200
                      Be careful in the future

Comment

Working...
                      X