Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Multiple Teiki question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Teiki question

Good evening everyone.

I think I have a strange request. I want to put two teikis on a Suica. Is this even possible?

The first teiki originates at a non-JR station, transfers to a JR station, and ends at Harajuku on the Yamanote line.
    The second teiki I want to create would be from Tabata to Kanda along the Yamanote.

I only want to know if it is possible. Also, does anyone know why I cannot put the first teiki on a suica? I can create the route just fine, but when I slide my suica in, it tells me the card cannot be used. Do I have to zero the balance before I put a teiki on my suica?

No idea, but the first thing I'd do is ask the people working at your local station. They'll know.

By the way, you may be able to get both tickets covered by a single teiki with a bit of thought and without too much extra expense. I have a teiki from a non-JR line that goes into Ikebukuro then follows the Yamanote line around a little bit. When I buy the ticket, the machine gives me the option of going to the Yamanote line destination directly or the long way around the loop. I always choose the direct (and cheaper) way but the long way around the loop may work for you.

Naturally, if you have a Teiki that is valid from Tabata to Kanda the long way round, which would include Harajuku, if you are travelling from Tabata to Kanda, you can go directly, if that makes sense.
    Last edited by cucashopboy; 2013-05-07, 04:57 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply! Making a teiki going the long way around costs more.

Tabata is my fork in the road for the two teikis. I go to Harajuku AND Kanda, as well get on and off in between, multiple times in one day.

Having a single teiki from my home station to Harajuku would cover all the stops I make on the yamanote between Tabata and Harajuku. But anytime I get off at Nippori through Kanda, I would be paying each time. And this would add up fairly quickly. Which explains why I want the second teiki. I just don't think anyone at the madoguchi would understand, or ask me the ridiculous question of "Why would you want to do that?" Just take my money.

Comment

Of course it costs more! But it will cost less more than a separate pass.

The point above, assuming that you begin at Tabata, is Tabata-Kanda-Ueno-Ikebukuro-Harajuku will cover all your exits. If you want to go the short way occasionally that's fine - the system has no way of knowing.

Just tell them what route you want - you aren't the first person to do this.

Comment

Thanks for the reply!

Tabata-Kanda-Ueno-Ikebukuro-Harajuku ... how does that work? This route backtracks onto itself.
          The machine only gives a single oR option. Likewise for any online teiki lookup.

I should mention that I never get off in between harajuku and kanda on the inner loop. If I ever had to do that, I would just pay extra.

Comment

Indeed it does - was confusing Tabata and Tamachi.

Why don't you just get Tabata - Komagome the long way round? Trim it down for stations you never go to?

If that's too expensive it looks like Tabata - Kanda - Tokyo - Shibuya - Harajuku will work, and like I said you can go the shorter way if you don't get off.

Comment

Thats the thing... I am already using one of my "vias" to end up at Tabata in the first place... I have no idea if you can customize it any further at the madoguchi.
              That being said, the stations I frequent are Harajuku, Shinjuku, Ikebukuro, Nippori, Uguisudani, Akihabara, Kanda.

Tokyo, Shinagawa, Meguro... anything on that part of the Yamanote between Harajuku and Tokyo I never go to.

The route I want makes a strangely unbalanced wishbone shape when complete.
              Last edited by hatsuka; 2013-05-07, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Why don't you put up your origin and desired destinations? that would eliminate a lot of guessing.

Comment

I onced used 2 separate teikis, one for school and one for work. The route was home -> school -> work -> home. Teikis were for home-> school and school -> work. Both were JR lines. I was not allowed to use both teikis together. On the way home, I had to get off at the school station with my work teiki and re-enter with my school teiki. If that makes sense. So unless the rules have changed, no, what you want to do is not possible.

Comment

Originally posted by rtfm View Post
                    Why don't you put up your origin and desired destinations? that would eliminate a lot of guessing.
                    I value my privacy.

Originally posted by iamsen View Post
                    I onced used 2 separate teikis, one for school and one for work. The route was home -> school -> work -> home. Teikis were for home-> school and school -> work. Both were JR lines. I was not allowed to use both teikis together. On the way home, I had to get off at the school station with my work teiki and re-enter with my school teiki. If that makes sense. So unless the rules have changed, no, what you want to do is not possible.
                    Got it. Makes total sense. Quite the inconvenience, but looks like I have no choice for what I want to do. I wonder what the station staff would think if they saw me swipe out, and make a quick u-turn and swipe back in. Probably nothing. Thanks a million!

Comment

Originally posted by hatsuka View Post
                      I value my privacy.
                      Fine, but the quality of responses goes down rather dramatically without accurate information.

Given Japan's population density, telling the internet you live near a particular train station wont help anyone find you.

Comment

I wonder what the station staff would think if they saw me swipe out, and make a quick u-turn and swipe back in.
                        Once you start doing it, you'll begin to notice that it's not as uncommon as you'd believe. I've once seen a guy just reach across the fence to tap on the entrance side of the gates.

Comment

Originally posted by rtfm View Post
                          Fine, but the quality of responses goes down rather dramatically without accurate information.

Given Japan's population density, telling the internet you live near a particular train station wont help anyone find you.
                          I will give you that. I am simply practicing OPSEC, just as I would do back home. I did mention the stations I frequently get off. Or I could have just listed those and actually get off at other stations, as well as the routes I want to make. It shall remain a mystery.

Originally posted by iamsen View Post
                          Once you start doing it, you'll begin to notice that it's not as uncommon as you'd believe. I've once seen a guy just reach across the fence to tap on the entrance side of the gates.
                          Geez. Actually, sounds like a great idea, hahaha. I like it.

Comment

I got sick of doing the U turn thingy so for a period of time I simply used my work teiki to enter the station and flashed my school teiki at the staff while getting off. I stopped after a few days when I started recognising the staffs and figured they would remember my face too. I'd rather a little inconvenience for some obscurity.

Comment

I am simply practicing OPSEC, .
                              I don't want to take the thread off topic, but that sounds like something you should stop practising.

Is it like smoking high tar cigarettes????

I used to practise smoking Wakaba, but they gave me a harsh cough, so I switched. They are cheap, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X