Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Top

Collapse

UK Departure Tax? Yer 'avin' a larf!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • UK Departure Tax? Yer 'avin' a larf!

    Just an anecdote I thought I'd jot down here. Might be of help for anyone going to or from the UK.

    We've been looking for flight for our annual sojourn in Ingerland. Our best quote (Korean Air) was 55man for 2 adults and 2 toddlers. A hit to the wallet, but ho, hum, can't be helped, I thought.

    She Who Must Be Obeyed then scrutinized the breakdown - of the 55man, 8 was for UK long haul departure tax - 20,000 yen a pop! Even the kidz! Just for leaving the effing country. Cor Blimey! Compare this to our Japan departure point, Fukuoka, which is 950yen for adults and half price for kiddlywinks.

    Now, just like every good gentleman out there, I'm not a fan of being skrewed over by the taxman. 80,000 yen. 80,000 effing yen? For having graced the place? Not on your nellie.

    Long story short, we changed our tickets. We booked one way bucket flights Ingerland to Rome (Monarch) at 7,000yen a pop and will stay there for a few days before flying back to Japan. Italy's departure tax is about 5,000 yen. With hotels, food and vino, it'll come in over the initial 55man, but I'd rather spend my hard-earned on food, booze and kulture than giving it to the UK taxman, the effing, grubbing sod.

    Anyway...

    Cheers,

    KC

  • #2
    55man for a return ticket to the uk? wtf.

    i paid 12man a pop when I went to Holland. Should be 8 man for at least the adults, I thought toddlers would be cheaper, but then again I dont have kids.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by kirinclassic View Post
      Just an anecdote I thought I'd jot down here. Might be of help for anyone going to or from the UK.

      We've been looking for flight for our annual sojourn in Ingerland. Our best quote (Korean Air) was 55man for 2 adults and 2 toddlers. A hit to the wallet, but ho, hum, can't be helped, I thought.

      She Who Must Be Obeyed then scrutinized the breakdown - of the 55man, 8 was for UK long haul departure tax - 20,000 yen a pop! Even the kidz! Just for leaving the effing country. Cor Blimey! Compare this to our Japan departure point, Fukuoka, which is 950yen for adults and half price for kiddlywinks.

      Now, just like every good gentleman out there, I'm not a fan of being skrewed over by the taxman. 80,000 yen. 80,000 effing yen? For having graced the place? Not on your nellie.

      Long story short, we changed our tickets. We booked one way bucket flights Ingerland to Rome (Monarch) at 7,000yen a pop and will stay there for a few days before flying back to Japan. Italy's departure tax is about 5,000 yen. With hotels, food and vino, it'll come in over the initial 55man, but I'd rather spend my hard-earned on food, booze and kulture than giving it to the UK taxman, the effing, grubbing sod.

      Anyway...

      Cheers,

      KC
      Good read, good info. 80 grand just for leaving is a bit steep. Somebody's gotta pay for all them banks I guess.

      Note to self: Get money out of UK before siphoned out of accounts through QE.

      Comment


      • #4
        Rome has culture? Last time I was there it was a graffiti-ridden, polluted dump infested with thieving gypsy kids and Romans trying to rip tourists off. But the sights are nice.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by wernst View Post
          55man for a return ticket to the uk? wtf.

          i paid 12man a pop when I went to Holland. Should be 8 man for at least the adults, I thought toddlers would be cheaper, but then again I dont have kids.
          55 man is for 4 people, in the silly season. Once kids are over 2, they're pretty much charged adult rates. 12 man for Holland sounds right. I've gone that way before and bucketed over to England.

          Cheers,

          KC

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by yu_ominae View Post
            Good read, good info. 80 grand just for leaving is a bit steep. Somebody's gotta pay for all them banks I guess.

            Note to self: Get money out of UK before siphoned out of accounts through QE.
            I don't really know much about money, yu, but with the Abenomics over the past few months, my UK savings have risen in stock by about 20% compared to my Japanese loot.

            Cheers,

            KC

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Hijinx View Post
              Rome has culture? Last time I was there it was a graffiti-ridden, polluted dump infested with thieving gypsy kids and Romans trying to rip tourists off. But the sights are nice.
              Don't know what Rome has, Hijinx, never been. Grim it may be but the point is that it's a better option than giving away 8 man to the tax man.

              Any recommendations, btw?

              Cheers,

              KC

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by kirinclassic View Post
                I don't really know much about money, yu, but with the Abenomics over the past few months, my UK savings have risen in stock by about 20% compared to my Japanese loot.

                Cheers,

                KC
                Indeed, so did mine. Sad story that is, too. And looks like it's not hit bottom yet either.
                Should really have moved it over whilst the going was good. Oh well...

                Comment

                Working...
                X