Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

PR Holders - Which line at Airport?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PR Holders - Which line at Airport?

I haven't traveled outside of Japan since getting PR status, but I've read that PR holders can use the Japanese National's line for immigration at Narita/Haneda.

Isn't truth to this?

Originally posted by frownsarefun View Post
    I haven't traveled outside of Japan since getting PR status, but I've read that PR holders can use the Japanese National's line for immigration at Narita/Haneda.

Isn't truth to this?
    Maybe, but I got shooed away from it if I remember correctly. Perhaps that dispensation refers to Special Permanent Residents rather than just ordinary Permanent Residents?

Comment

........i was led to the foreigners only line which was fine by me since it was empty.......went through long before the j-line did.

Comment

There was a sign for 're-entry permit holders'. This was when I came back into the country in Feb.

Side note: One strange thing happened as I was leaving though. I didn't fill out that embarkation card ahead of time. Wasn't sure if I still needed it. So the guy sent me off to the side, and I was asked to fill out a document stating that I understand by leaving the country I am giving up my visa. After I was relieved to find out I didn't fill my shorts, I asked them what's up. They asked if I am coming back, I said yes, they gave me that standard embarkation card (that one they staple into your passport) and all was good.

Comment

Since the douchebags at the airport think that no gaijin has a pr they always lead you to the gaijin line, which is always VERY short.

I did the same, then it was my turn and i was told to use the other line in the future.

HAh, hell no.

Comment

Ah yea, the embarkation card. Forgot about that darn thing. Supposed to check the 'special re-entry permit' or something of that nature, correct...(if taking advantage of the new immi rules of no longer needing a REP for short-medium trips)?

Comment

I signed up for the automatic gate, which is (in theory) even faster that the citizen's line.

Downside is, on the last two trips the time required for someone to come over, turn it on and boot the system eliminated the time saved using it.

Before that, there was the satisfaction of waving my visa at the person behind me and saying "no, this is my line too".

Comment

Originally posted by wernst View Post
                Since the douchebags at the airport think that no gaijin has a pr they always lead you to the gaijin line, which is always VERY short..
                Ummm, not quite. They think you're a tourist. The idea of a white resident hasn't occurred to most of them.

BTW, if 'the douchebags' are those mildly annoying volunteer guys, just tell them you're resident.

Not that they always know the rules.

I always found them quite polite, though, in that pedantic teeth sucking way. A few have even told me I can use the Japanese line, but that was after I became a tourist again.

Is the foreigners line still that dead empty????

Sort of sad, really. On my visit right after 3/11 the Immi officer said 'Thank you for coming back'.
                I wonder if the cheap yen will help a bit.

So, out of curiosity, just who is doing all this shooing and tsk tsk-ing?

Comment

Originally posted by kurogane View Post
                  Ummm, not quite. They think you're a tourist. The idea of a white resident hasn't occurred to most of them.

BTW, if 'the douchebags' are those mildly annoying volunteer guys, just tell them you're resident.

Not that they always know the rules.

I always found them quite polite, though, in that pedantic teeth sucking way. A few have even told me I can use the Japanese line, but that was after I became a tourist again.

Is the foreigners line still that dead empty????

Sort of sad, really. On my visit right after 3/11 the Immi officer said 'Thank you for coming back'.
                  I wonder if the cheap yen will help a bit.

So, out of curiosity, just who is doing all this shooing and tsk tsk-ing?
                  They are in uniform and always older guys. Some sort of security guards/ushers rather than volunteers I think. As you say they are always perfectly polite and respectful and at my airport none of the lines are ever a problem. I couldn't care less which one I use as long as I am through quickly and I always am.

Comment

Aaaah, right, the Keibi boys. Yeah, they're just hired security guys.

I don't mind it so much. It's good to jump right back into the micro-annoyances; builds your immunity.

Perhaps the yellow shirted volunteers (also older men) are a Narita thing. Really nice, but often a touch dopey.

Comment

Lines at Kansai Airport always seem small I guess, never had to wait for a long time.

Comment

I travel a lot and pretty much any other airport in the world is worse than Narita.
                        Fred

Comment

Originally posted by shonanfred View Post
                          I travel a lot and pretty much any other airport in the world is worse than Narita.
                          Fred
                          Nothing compares to the line at MNL terminal 1 at 10pm on a friday/saturday (when all the flights from the middle east, 2 flights from japan and a few from the US all land at once).

Comment

Doesnt the line for Japanese nationals actually say "For those with Japanese passports"?

I dont think getting a PR gives you a Japanese passport, does it?

Comment

Originally posted by tokyo_dom View Post
                              Doesnt the line for Japanese nationals actually say "For those with Japanese passports"?

I dont think getting a PR gives you a Japanese passport, does it?
                              I think you are probably right. It might be Japanese passports and special permanent residents? Am I imagining it or are there sometimes three categories? Japanese passports and Special PR/ Visa and re-entry permit holders/ and no visa?

Comment

Working...
                              X