Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Starting Point for a Road Trip

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Point for a Road Trip

Gentlemen,

I am planning a trip for a big anniversary that is coming up in early July. It is essentially going to be a 2.5-day drive date to and around Sendai. The missus and I absolutely love driving, but we do not really want the starting point of the road trip to be right inside Tokyo, since we agree that Tokyo traffic is annoying and it is just generally a pain in the butt to drive in the capital.

I assume the further north one goes from Tokyo, the more relaxing driving becomes. The current plan is to leave late Friday afternoon using [Train Line] to arrive at [Place], where we pick up a rental car, and drive on to Sendai. Then we spend Saturday and most of Sunday having fun, and driving around to see stuff, before returning to [Place] and using [Train Line] to get back into Tokyo.

The alternative would be Shinkansen tickets, but it looks like that would be twice as expensive than the cost of renting a car and paying for fuel.

Tokyo->Sendai, Sendai->Tokyo, 2 people = 44,000円
    Renting a car for 2.5 days = 13,000円~ + fuel ~10,000円 = 23,000円~

That said, where would be a good starting point for our road trip?
    We're both not from Tokyo, so we have no clue.

Also, if there are any must-see recommendations for Sendai, or the area in general, please do share.
    Both of us have never been there.

Your helpful advice is - as always - highly appreciated.
    Last edited by sleepycat; 2013-06-20, 12:08 PM. Reason: word filter, etc.

Utsunomiya is fairly accessible by train from Tokyo (2500yen by regular train, or 5000 by shinkansen i believe), and a good way up on the way to Sendai.

Driving out of Tokyo isnt that much of a pain, though i havent done it on a Friday night

And for your driving calculations, you forgot the astronomical ETC charges (toll roads), expect around 10-15k worth of toll roads, or way more if you dont have an ETC 'card' (get one made from your credit card)

Comment

Thanks. Will look at Utsunomiya.

I have an ETC card of course thanks to the lovely people at Rakuten. The toll should be about 4500円 one way; so overall still cheaper than using Shinkansen, since the rental car expenses would have to be added on top of the Shinkansen ticket price. :x

Comment

Tolls with an ETC card vary based on the type of car, day of the week, and time of the day. Weekends are typically half price, which is not an insignificant saving (make sure you search with the day/time you intend to go). As is starting or ending your trip within the hours of midnight until 4am i believe.

And for the second edit: I agree, when you have 2 people, driving is almost always cheaper, even with those ETC charges. Plus you have the freedom of going where you want, whenever you want.

For rentacars, see if Niconico rentacar have a branch in Utsunomiya. They are cheap as chips compared to the big chains. So is Wanz (ワンズ)
        Last edited by tokyo_dom; 2013-06-20, 12:37 PM. Reason: I see you already have an ETC. and know how to search toll charges...

Comment

Originally posted by tokyo_dom View Post
          Utsunomiya is fairly accessible by train from Tokyo (2500yen by regular train, or 5000 by shinkansen i believe), and a good way up on the way to Sendai.

Driving out of Tokyo isnt that much of a pain, though i havent done it on a Friday night

And for your driving calculations, you forgot the astronomical ETC charges (toll roads), expect around 10-15k worth of toll roads, or way more if you dont have an ETC 'card' (get one made from your credit card)
          I'd second Utsunomiya - in fact it's less than 2000 yen from Tokyo on a regular train. Places to visit near Sendai - Matsushima is lovely, and you might want to visit one of the tsunami-stricken towns to spend your money there and help the local economy.

Comment

Make sure you're rent-a-car is 100 percent Non Smoking... if you are a non smoker and care about those things. Nothing worse than driving around in a car for a few days that smells like an ashtray.

Comment

Originally posted by HarderFasterBaby View Post
              Make sure you're rent-a-car is 100 percent Non Smoking... if you are a non smoker and care about those things. Nothing worse than driving around in a car for a few days that smells like an ashtray.
              Worth repeating.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I'll finish preparing the travel route this evening and then make the reservations.

Never had a problem with rental cars so far by the way. Whenever I picked non-smoking, I got a car that smelled normal.
                Same positive experience at Nico Nico, Toyota, Orix, and Nippon Rent-A-Car, btw. :x

Comment

Working...
                X