Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Question About Toll

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shimi View Post
    I use ETC and it does save you a lot of money if you drive a lot. But, you do have to pay for the unit and then pay to have it installed (unless you know how to do that yourself), and, as tokyo_dom points out, you do need a Japanese credit card. Would it be worth going through all that just for a single trip?

Besides, I remember some talk of the ETC system being slowly phased out over the next couple of years. Some of the discounts have already been taken away or reduced. And, I believe that part of the funding NEXCO gets to operate the ETC program runs out at the end of this year. Anybody else remember hearing anything about this?

Its ok Im getting a car in nagano, and will make sure it has an ETC thingy in it

Comment

Got a car in Nagano, drove to kitakyushu.
      took a wrong turn in NARA and had to take an exit. all up it cost me round about 8000 yen, It would've been cheaper if not for a wrong turn.
      Got the ETC connected and toruku to my my Kei car. cost me 7000 Yen. all in all maybe didnt save much but got the ETC for free. now i can travel cheaply on Expressway.
      oh yeah cost me round about a MAN in petrol on My Wagon RR

Comment

Hope you had a good trip! Not many people do much long distance driving in Japan but it's quite a good time getting out on the road here, even with all the traffic!

Comment

How ridiculous and regressive to subscribe a nation's road system to money-grabbing private enterprise. Very narrow-minded...

(All the more so considering the total sh!t state of what passes for Expressways in Japan. Are ya kiddin' me???)

Comment

Originally posted by ‚µ‚ނς邶‚ñ View Post
            Got a car in Nagano, drove to kitakyushu.
            took a wrong turn in NARA and had to take an exit. all up it cost me round about 8000 yen, It would've been cheaper if not for a wrong turn.
            Got the ETC connected and toruku to my my Kei car. cost me 7000 Yen. all in all maybe didnt save much but got the ETC for free. now i can travel cheaply on Expressway.
            oh yeah cost me round about a MAN in petrol on My Wagon RR

What's 'a man'?

Comment

Originally posted by HarryHurry View Post
              (All the more so considering the total sh!t state of what passes for Expressways in Japan. Are ya kiddin' me???)
              I've found the roads in the Kanto area (including the remote ones that go nowhere) to be in excellent shape. Now, if you are referring to the traffic.....

A "man" is 10,000. 1–œ‰~. The big bill in your wallet. You've been in Japan how long?

Comment

Originally posted by rtfm View Post
                I've found the roads in the Kanto area (including the remote ones that go nowhere) to be in excellent shape. Now, if you are referring to the traffic.....

A "man" is 10,000. 1–œ‰~. The big bill in your wallet. You've been in Japan how long?

Long enough to understand that 1–œ‰~ is ten thousand yen in Japanese and that when I'm speaking English to other English speakers they can perfectly well grasp this mammoth complication.

How hard can it be to say ten thousand yen in English instead of this ridiculous habit of man this man that? You've been in Japan how long?

Comment

Long enough to instantly grasp the meaning of "cost me round about a MAN in petrol", esp. as the alternate reading - converting a human male into a petroleum product - didn't make as much sense.

Comment

Oh. That makes sense now that I think about it.

I thought it was all a new rather racy twist on Rideshare programmes, and all that distance for only one man does seem like quite a deal, assuming they're both consenting adults.

MANRIDE. Gas, grass or ass, nobody rides for free.

Still, tsukau'ing the Nohingo in the naka of English sentences can get really ki ni sawaru, ya ken!?

Comment

Working...
                    X