Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

the phone/bank account dilemma.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the phone/bank account dilemma.

Ok, to get a cellphone, I have to have a bank account, I knew that since even before I came here.
    So I went to Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ (or whatever you call that bank in Osaka) and probably did something wrong, because they told me I could only open an account if I had a cellphone number, which is something I have never heard of before. So now... vicious circle, need a cellphone for the account/ need an account for the cellphone.

What went wrong in this picture? Should I go and ask for something else? (Not an account) Does it have another name?

Try a different bank.

Comment

So you don't have a land line number. If they need an additional number, couldn't you have told them your work number? Otherwise, yeah, try a different bank!

Comment

• Ejiputojin
        Ejiputojin commented
        Editing a comment
        No, I don't have a landline number, I live in a room.
        I think I may just try somewhere else.

And if that doesn't work... Do you have a credit card? You should be able to get a cellphone contract using a credit card, then once you've opened the bank account you can switch to payment by bank transfer.

Comment

• Ejiputojin
        Ejiputojin commented
        Editing a comment
        Somehow they seem to be bewildered by my VISA card that is from Egypt. Not sure how to run that matter, especially that I wasn't going to buy a phone right away.

Not rocket science, use a friends number, open the account, get your phone, go back to the bank and update with your real number.

Comment

• Ejiputojin
        Ejiputojin commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought of that actually. Would make much sense, but doesn't that need someone you can trust all that much?

Not rocket science, use a friends number, open the account, get your phone, go back to the bank and update with your real number.

Comment

Working...
      X