Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Possible to create a Japanese Bank Account at the MUFJ branch in SF?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to create a Japanese Bank Account at the MUFJ branch in SF?

It may sound like a stupid question, though I couldn't quite find the answer online. I figure if the branch is here in California, why couldn't you?

No you can't. The US offices like the one in SF are not consumer/retail banks but rather corporate banks.

Comment

If the OP is in San Fran all he has to do is walk in and find out what is what !

Comment

Or better yet, pick up the phone and give them a call, don't need to leave the house to do it.

But it's a representative office working with corporate entities rather than private individuals so the answer would probably be no.

Comment

Well said there moon, and then the OP does not need to ask what he himself said was a stupid question ! I mean come on OP, you knew it was a stupid question, yet you still asked it? Where is the logic in doing that?

Comment

No you can't because it is a different legal entity. The SF branch is regulated under US law while their Tokyo branch is regulated under Japanese law. For an account in Tokyo, you need to apply directly in Japan as you have to prove you're a resident of Japan.

Comment

As Mr. Tokyo said, no. Years ago had a Sanwa Bank account here and decided to open one in the U.S. , as thought would be able to deposit my dollars here to my US. account. Wrong. Except for the name, the bank branches have no relation at all. Was told I would have to foreign money order and mail it to the U.S. branch. The banks here are like North Korea, isolated and not willing to contact the outside world.

Comment

The main reason for this are tightening regulations about money laundering, tax evasion an 'know your customer'....

Comment

Working...
                X