Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Getting A Credit Card

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigupz View Post
    I've tried twice at my bank UFJ to get a credit card and once at Citibank, to no avail. I've been working/living in Japan for 4 years and I don't have any debt... I'm earning around Y300,000 per month and don't have any expenses. I can't understand why I can't get one!?Has anyone had any luck with other banks?
    Cheers

Comment

Rakuten card

Rakuten card is easy to get.
      http://rakuten.japanese-credit-card.com/
      Last edited by Asutorinikki; 2011-12-12, 02:09 PM. Reason: wrong url

Comment

Can I ask how many weeks do I have to wait after applying for a credit card?

Comment

Originally posted by Jemuel View Post
          Can I ask how many weeks do I have to wait after applying for a credit card?
          With Rakuten normally two to three weeks, but I got mine in one week after the woman called and spoke with me in Japanese. I have PR so that might have made a difference!

Comment

Got mine (Rakuten, then Delta Skymiles Amex after being accepted by Rakuten) with spouse visa. Had been rejected by other places for the last three years, but waited 6 months to let my record clear, and applied with 2+ years at current job and residency. For people trying, show stability however you can. Wait to change jobs or move until after getting that first card.

Comment

Sorry, but I have to disagree. It took me six or seven years to get my first credit card here. I applied to a few companies after having been at the same company for five years, with a salary that was well above the average salary for Japanese people of my age, with a landline phone (which Japanese people say matters), and I was still denied. There was no other reason to deny me than because I was a foreigner.

That said, not all companies are like this - I did eventually get one, after only a year or two at the company I was in at that time. Though I was making even more than at the other company, so in this case your theory may hold up.

Comment

Originally posted by SfumatoPants
                You could be the worst risk in the world, but if you have a pile of cash, that's what the Card companies will see. I'm not referring to your hypothetical future earnings potential.
                And neither was I. As I said, when I first applied, I was in a stable position, for five years, making a significant amount more than the average salary for people in my age range. I knew a number of Japanese people in my company who were making significantly less than I, who had received the same credit cards that I was denied for.

Comment

Originally posted by Effected After View Post
                  And neither was I. As I said, when I first applied, I was in a stable position, for five years, making a significant amount more than the average salary for people in my age range. I knew a number of Japanese people in my company who were making significantly less than I, who had received the same credit cards that I was denied for.
                  And of course, I'm sure some card companies are just going to be a-holes no matter how stable/rich a foreigner looks. Get in where you can, and then go after that card you wanted after you're in the club.

When I first started working, I tried I don't know how many times to get the J-Post Visa card since they were my only bank at the time. Now that I've been using Rakuten Bank for a while with their much, much higher savings interest rates and incentive programs (J-post's best incentive program is that it closes even its online banking during Golden Week, etc., so it's "incentive" not to rely on their sorry selves in an emergency), J-Post just pays my NHI and water bill. Sorry guys... Can't say I didn't try with them. Moral of the story is that Rakuten card along with the airline Amex it led to give tons of rewards for using/keeping them, and the J-Post card I originally anguished over doesn't do much of anything (their JCB card is better though, only because it's linked to JCB).

Before you worry too much over trying and failing continuously at one company's card, it might help to wait the 6 month period and hit another company. The insanely difficult ones (for foreigners) like Sumitomo aren't necessarily actually worth the trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by outkast View Post
                    Moral of the story is that Rakuten card along with the airline Amex it led to give tons of rewards for using/keeping them, and the J-Post card I originally anguished over doesn't do much of anything (their JCB card is better though, only because it's linked to JCB).

Before you worry too much over trying and failing continuously at one company's card, it might help to wait the 6 month period and hit another company. The insanely difficult ones (for foreigners) like Sumitomo aren't necessarily actually worth the trouble.
                    Interesting. I got turned down for an Amex late last year and it was the first time to be turned down for a card here in a decade or so. Everyone else has approved me, and Sumitomo had no problems with me as they hooked me up with a card a few months after the Amex issue.

Amex specifically told me I couldn't reapply with them for a year too. Not that I ever will be again, as the Sumitomo card covers the same bases the Amex would have.

Comment

• My track record is mixed:

1. Rakuten Debit - Obviously approved since it's not a credit card. I needed something with a Visa logo on it, so got this first. The point system used to be awesome, 1% cash back on anything. Not so awesome anymore, it's horribly convoluted now.
                      2. Bic Camera Suica Visa - Applied twice, once by mail and once in-store. Rejected twice.
                      3. JR View Suica Visa - Approved. Wanted this for auto-recharging Suica (since I have an iPhone, thus no Felica). Unfortunately they don't support auto-withdrawals from Rakuten Bank so I have to manually furikomi into my Shinsei account every month to pay it off. But still worth it.
                      4. Rakuten Premium Card - Approved, wanted this for Edy and the free airport lounges+free luggage shipping+etc. Luckily they take this right out of my Rakuten Bank account, and they give 1% points for everything, so this will probably replace my debit card anywhere JCB is accepted.

I also got some Marui Visa card at one point for 2000 yen off a pair of shoes, never used it again.

Comment

• Help please

Hello there guys! I'm new to this forum, and also new to this country
                        I was able to come here because my wife has permanent residence visa. I have a 1 year visa and will be renewing this coming middle of september 2012. I am about 7 months on my Job now.
                        And I just applied a credit card from Aeon Jusco yesterday. My wife is my translator because I know very little nihonggo yet. And they said that someone will call on my cellphone to interview me about my credit card application. I just want to know what they will be asking me for the interview? because I can't barely speak and understand japanese, and I just want to be prepared and might as well practice what they will ask me, so I can answer some of the questions.

I badly need a credit card, also I will use it to buy some low off set wheels from the US for my car, because I will be going to the Hellaflush event on Fuji Speed way this coming October, for me to be ready lol any help and tips will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Comment

• I don't know about the Aeon card specifically, but verification calls typically confirm your name, address, phone number, and maybe work details (company name, phone number, etc.). They basically want to 1) make sure you're a real person and not a scammer making cards in dead people's names, etc. and 2) in a foreigner's case, make sure you can even communicate with them before turning you loose with a bunch of money. Understand that you haven't gotten far enough with you Japanese yet, but at least try to seem like you understand what they are saying to you (by studying up on how to say the above info). Fake it 'til you make it...

Comment

• dudes, i need a credit card just to pay for this b-mobile SIM card i bought from yodobashi. it's retarded, but the ONLY payment option is by credit card. no furikomi, no automatic debit, certainly no cash.

i'm on a student visa. ie. only 1 year and little/no income right now.

from reading this thread, it sounds like everybody is gonna flat-out turn me down, or at the very least it's gonna take 6 months to get approved.

any suggestions?

Comment

• Originally posted by ext23 View Post
                              dudes, i need a credit card just to pay for this b-mobile SIM card i bought from yodobashi. it's retarded, but the ONLY payment option is by credit card. no furikomi, no automatic debit, certainly no cash.

i'm on a student visa. ie. only 1 year and little/no income right now.

from reading this thread, it sounds like everybody is gonna flat-out turn me down, or at the very least it's gonna take 6 months to get approved.

any suggestions?
                              There are over a dozen different types of B-mobile cards, some are prepaid and some are post-paid. The post-paid versions require an account, however the prepaid versions you can pay with cash all upfront. Exactly, which bmobile one are you trying to get?

Comment

• Originally posted by outkast View Post
                                I don't know about the Aeon card specifically, but verification calls typically confirm your name, address, phone number, and maybe work details (company name, phone number, etc.). They basically want to 1) make sure you're a real person and not a scammer making cards in dead people's names, etc. and 2) in a foreigner's case, make sure you can even communicate with them before turning you loose with a bunch of money. Understand that you haven't gotten far enough with you Japanese yet, but at least try to seem like you understand what they are saying to you (by studying up on how to say the above info). Fake it 'til you make it...
                                Many posters have said PR helps to get a card. But no-one refers to the fact that having PR or not having PR is not mentioned on the application forms. So how do they know if you've got PR or not? (A driving licence, the most common form of ID required, doesn't prove PR - neither does a passport these days).
                                Last edited by ksnasi lurker; 2012-10-08, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X