Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Any Canadian citizens??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE]I haven't filed a tax return since 2002. That should raise a few eyebrows...I have the tax forms from all my employers to prove that I was a resident of Japan. We'll see what happens.../QUOTE]

I had the same issue Jacques. I was out of Canada for about five years, and then returned home. I nervously filed a tax return and waited to see what would happen.

Nothing. Went through fine, and I even got a return. Seems to me though that Revenue Canada is a terribly run organization, and their decision making process can only be described as random.

Comment

It's not that I never filed a tax return while overseas, just stopped doing it after 2002. Before that, I was fine and not asked to pay taxes. I think (or should that be, hope? ) that the tax treaty essentially clears those of us who can prove we were residents of Japan of our Canadian tax obligations.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacque_S
        It's not that I never filed a tax return while overseas, just stopped doing it after 2002. Before that, I was fine and not asked to pay taxes. I think (or should that be, hope? ) that the tax treaty essentially clears those of us who can prove we were residents of Japan of our Canadian tax obligations.
        Ummm, I make many hope also.

However, the Non-Resident application approval rate seems to me to be rather low.

I have always been refused.

Mind you, I'm with Circles. I never have any problem when back filing, or not filing, or unfiling, or whateva.

Keep those pudgy fingers crossed!

Comment

How did you file the returns? Did you declare the money you made in Japan or just declare an income of 0?

Comment

I declared all income, but it was on JET and there was an agreement (before the current one) at the time that as long as it was earned as a JET and you could prove you'd paid taxes in Japan you could write it off on your Canadian tax return. It appears as tho this is what's happening in practice now with the treaty...perhaps RevCan's rules about 'deemed non-residence' don't take into account the tax treaty with Japan, so they're informally treating us as deemed non-residents so long as we don't ask for the privilege. Or just more wishful thinking on my part?

Comment

Or just more wishful thinking on my part?
              At least that's a change from your standard thinking.........

Personally, I just ignore any and all Rev Can missives that don't agree with whatever I have told them is whatever it is I was supposed to pay.

Comment

They'll take it from you eventually. You can hide, but you can't run.

Comment

They'll take it from you eventually. You can hide, but you can't run.
                  Welllllllllll, only if you can't hack it in a land without Timbits..........

BTW, aren't Mister Donuts doughnuts awful?

Whata load of crap.

Comment

Too early for me to judge yet. Haven't made it to donuts yet. I'm even still a Krispy Kreme virgin. They didn't have those up in these parts when I was last around. As for ice cream, just got around to Ben and Jerry's last night. Not bad, but it aint Haagan-Dazs.

Comment

Originally posted by arginjapan
                      My suggestions:

1) fill out the residency determination form,
                      2) prepare every piece of documentation you can think of that can clearly establish your residency in Japan. Japanese tax return, health insurance receipts, copy of your ARC and passport (with appropriate stamps).
                      3) contact the International Tax Centre (you can pull their number of the 'net) and explain their situation to them. If you have already been assessed for taxes, be prepared for a lengthy and torturous procedure to clear them-it took me about 7 months to clear my bill.
                      Everything I've read here and elsewhere suggests filling out the form makes things more complicated.

But on point 3, you went through a procedure to clear your bill and it was successful? Did you only need the documentation stated in your point #2?

Comment

I had my own interesting bit of fun with CRA 3 weeks ago. They'd sent me a letter stating I hadn't filed my 2006 return, and I had 30 days to file it. Unfortunately, I never received that letter until it was emailed to me (PDF file) by my sister 6 months after it had been sent. I called CRA, explained my situation, and all they said was to write a letter to CRA explaining that I'm not a resident of Canada, and I have no Canadian based income. They said I do not have to file a return. Anyway, my only residential ties to Canada are a bank account (can't close it, as I'm paying student loans through that account), passport and a driver's license, which expires next year, so I'll be switching to a Japanese license soon. I have no plans to return to Canada to live in the near future, and my bank account will be closed when my student loans are paid off. At that time, my only Canadian residential tie will be my passport. That's it.

Comment

Working...
                        X