Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Top

Collapse

Ex-employer refuses to give withholding tax slip

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ex-employer refuses to give withholding tax slip

    Titles says it all.

    A few of us left an IT company last year under bad circumstances, and now when I asked for my withholding tax slip, they've told me I need to pay them 80,000 yen before they will send it to me.

    Is there a way to file taxes without the certificate? I stand to get a nice tax return and I don't want to lose it because of this terrible company.

    I had three employers last year (part-time included), and the other two sent the slip in January without a hitch.

    So, the question is, how do I proceed?

  • #2
    Originally posted by NHonko View Post
    .

    I had three employers last year (part-time included), and the other two sent the slip in January without a hitch.

    So, the question is, how do I proceed?
    Tell him hes breaking Japanese labor laws as hes required to give it to you by law, and you will report him to the Labor Standards office. Asking for money for the form is extortion. Play the guy at his own game.

    Comment


    • #3
      Hi NHonko, I got your comment through the site. Thanks.

      Definitely get in contact with the Labor office (you would need a Japanese friend to find out the proper name etc) and let them handle it. I wouldn't bother about calling your ex-employer anymore. The Labor office should do that for you I presume.

      Let us know how it goes.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks for the quick replies!

        Thanks guys, I'll try to get it handled tomorrow and post the details.

        Here goes!

        Comment


        • #5
          The solution!

          Well, I sent a polite email stating that if I didn't receive the document by Thursday, I would have a lawyer contact them. I got the slip today in the mail!

          For the record, this company's policies are terrible-- even while requesting the 80,000 yen for the slip, they said they required a copy of my gaijin card and passport because they were reporting me to immigration and I would "certainly be deported" soon. Ugggh, now I understand how all those immigrants must feel back where I'm from!

          Thanks for your help!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by NHonko View Post
            Well, I sent a polite email stating that if I didn't receive the document by Thursday, I would have a lawyer contact them. I got the slip today in the mail!

            For the record, this company's policies are terrible-- even while requesting the 80,000 yen for the slip, they said they required a copy of my gaijin card and passport because they were reporting me to immigration and I would "certainly be deported" soon. Ugggh, now I understand how all those immigrants must feel back where I'm from!

            Thanks for your help!
            Tell them you will be lodging a complaint with the British Embassy regarding their extortion involving the British Government's property.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by NHonko View Post
              Well, I sent a polite email stating that if I didn't receive the document by Thursday, I would have a lawyer contact them. I got the slip today in the mail!

              For the record, this company's policies are terrible-- even while requesting the 80,000 yen for the slip, they said they required a copy of my gaijin card and passport because they were reporting me to immigration and I would "certainly be deported" soon. Ugggh, now I understand how all those immigrants must feel back where I'm from!

              Thanks for your help!
              What's the name of the company?

              Comment


              • #8
                Good to hear you got it sorted out smoothly. Yelling and screaming rarely work. Ask politely once. Ask again a second time, preferably in writing, and mention that you will contact the authorities if they do not co-operate. After that, just pass it on to the authorities.

                In issues Ive had in the past, call the authorities to find out your options, and then include the name of the person you spoke to and his position when writing the second and final request to the counter party. Why bluff when you can do it for real.

                Comment


                • #9
                  etaxes

                  Next time do etaxs so you don't actually have to send them paperwork.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by quato View Post
                    Next time do etaxs so you don't actually have to send them paperwork.
                    you can do this in Japan?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Just tell the tax office!

                      It's simple! Your ex employer is behaving illegally. You should have at the beginning sent a letter cc ed to the tax office and possibly one of your present employers, just to show your ex employer you intend on publicising what they're goiong.

                      The letter should have pointed out that they are required by law to give this information and you expect it within x days. Otherwise you will take it further with the appropriate authorities.

                      The tax office does not look favourably on such antics. Do not worry - you are in the right. Send the letter, wait for the tax slip and if it doesn't come, tell on em to the tax office.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        This might help you in the future, too.
                        http://gaijintax.com/

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X