Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Be wary of your investments -- the TAXMAN is watching

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's a nice point, actually.

Even allowing for the usual institutionalised xenophobia (and I think they do suffer from that), what the NTA is doing is Spock-worthy in its logic.

And only the hungriest lion goes after the alpha bull when there are weaker water buffalo at hand.

I am mostly playing a waiting game, and I don't need the money to live.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brown Cow View Post
      ...The argument that the tax office won't bother with you because you are too small has some weight. They have limited resources and so need to direct them as efficiently as possible. However, that doesn't mean that it can't happen, just that it is less likely to. There is also such a thing as being low hanging fruit.
      In other words unless you (re: the English teacher) draw attention to yourself NTA isn't going to be interested.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken44 View Post
        In other words unless you (re: the English teacher) draw attention to yourself NTA isn't going to be interested.
        No, not quite but never mind. Each to his own.

Comment

No, not quite but never mind. Each to his own.
          O.k. in what instance would NTA be interested in someone earning less than 10 million yen without cause?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken44 View Post
            O.k. in what instance would NTA be interested in someone earning less than 10 million yen without cause?
            Well, the remit of the NTA is to collect every last Yen of tax owed. In practice of course that is impossible and further if the costs of recovering the tax exceed the amount collected then it is not worth doing. They are interested in anyone who might not be paying their full share of tax - it is their job to be interested in just that. How that interest is reflected in practice is another matter and not one many people are privy to.

On what grounds do you believe that anyone earning less than 10 million Yen will be ignored unless they remit or import funds? Why 10 million?

Comment

Well, the remit of the NTA is to collect every last Yen of tax owed.
              SABETSU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SABETSU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The fact that causes surprised outrage always fills me with a gleeful derision of delusional white entitlement.

As for that magic 10 million figure, I would put it down to about 6, but then tend to agree with Ken.

10 million is a pretty aristocratic income, after all.

Without raising red flags, or getting stupid with your return, it is pretty easy to file a liberally interpreted tax return and not hear a peep.

As I have written before, I used to reduce my sizeable academic stipends' tax exposure to zero at the flick of a pen, and only had to answer for it once per award, at the time of my first filing for that award.

Quite different than employment income, but indicative of the way the NTA tends to work.

Comment

• Originally posted by kurogane View Post
                I have had professional advice and heard anecdotes that all point to this as the start of a tax dodger's trail of tears.

I do believe that is how our own beloved Tax Muppet opened his own Shakespearean tragedy.

In his case, without any evil intentions, of course.

I have a rather complicated situation, and have been told in the strongest terms to not transfer electronically any appreciable amounts of Yen out, and was even told to just carry the upper cash limit minus about 10,000 yen onto the plane whenever I am there.
                Right on point. An Aussie I know transferred amounts of money regularly into his Oz bank account from Japan. He was audited by the ATO (Oz tax office) and also had to talk to the NTA. He is an Engrish teacher. He gets paid 240,000 yen per month. Hardly farking moneyed enough to draw the authorities' attention y'd think. He's a good saver, lives the most farking frugal life I've known and he's lived in Nippon for around 8 yrs.

He's been punished for being a good saver. The tax authorities in both cases wondered why he had a lot of spare cash to transfer between countries. His assets etc in no way come up to the levels mentioned in this thread. Never forget that govts around the world are in hock because of their own greed, corruption and in my country's case massive handouts funded by massive borrowing of billions.

The muthafarkers in Oz are giving cnuts arriving by boats from the Muslim world free cigarettes, halal food when they arrive, the security to keep them is costing millions alone. Then the cnuts get free housing, tax free fortnightly payments, food and clothing vouchers, cellphone subsidisies. All out of taxpayers' money, western govts are re-distributing the savings of ordinary people towards these shizzheads. So the Oz govt and others are looking to rape their own taxpaying citizens for this elitist, globalist agenda.

The Oz govt is such a bunch of wasters they are now seizing bank accounts and superannuation (private pension funds) accounts that haven't been touched for 3 yrs and will give the money in them to the Oz tax office. They will do anything to grab our cash while the politicians have golden handshakes - tax free pensions, gold international and local travel passes, bullshiz 'jobs' when finishing parliament - for life.

BTW Kurogane - what happened to our friend tokyorainbow? Banned again - why? I spose it was the usual sending nasty little pms to people.

Comment

• Originally posted by caramellocap View Post
                  BTW Kurogane - what happened to our friend tokyorainbow? Banned again - why? I spose it was the usual sending nasty little pms to people.
                  I missed the actual event, but probably that and his most recent spazz out defending derelict fathers against the supposedly evil predations of their nasty white ex-wives.

You would have enjoyed it. It was some of the most delusional woman hating I have yet seen. He even sent me a really nice PM asking for my help.

Ume (the OP) handled him pretty easily though.

Anyways, BOT: I agree. I think it is simple bank transfer activity that raises the alarms, esp. if it is repeated or frequent. I think it is also partly because of the heightened paranoia over security and criminal money laundering.

I have had NTA and ward office officials more terribly vexed than Emperor Commodus himself when they see the annual award amount and then realise my claim to tax free status is as legal as public urination in The Ginza late on a Friday night.

Comment

• Originally posted by kurogane View Post
                    Without raising red flags, or getting stupid with your return, it is pretty easy to file a liberally interpreted tax return and not hear a peep.
                    Agreed. That may or may not include a decision that the best strategy is to declare zero overseas income.

Comment

• Except for reporting the interest or income earned on transferred amounts from past years, or an explanation on why it isn't being reported as such.

A friend got fairly well rubber fingered for forgetting that one. I think he got off with paying the 30,000 or so yen he ended up owing. And he was still angry about it all.

And that was years ago.

The real problem lately is that the NTA seems to be getting its shambolic Chaplinesque house in order.

Have they taken over income tax duties from the Buster Keaton crowd down at the ward offices yet???

I used to feel sorry for those guys when I would show up to demand my Imperial tithes be regarded as well gotten booty, armed with 44 pages of tax department printouts from NTA.go.jp with the relevant sections highlighted.

Oh, they were terribly vexed. And yet I was almost always impressed with their professional courtesy, though not the logic of their arguments.

Comment

• There can easily be a number of other things in the mix. Everyone needs to think through their own individual situation very carefully. A very simple don't tell/don't transfer money strategy may be a good one for some people. For others it may be inviting trouble later on. Others still might actually be prepared to play by the rules, as idiotic as that may seem.

Comment

• All I can say as regards targeting foreigners is that when I opened this thread I had firsthand accounts of foreigners (university profs) who had been/were being audited. Within a month or so of opening this thread, suddenly my turn came. Now that is mighty coincidental. Even though there are quite a few foreign university profs in this region, it is very conspicuous that these people were chosen and audited by the very same 2 guys. Then, later, we learned on this thread of still more. One guy has never escaped. They remove funds from his cheque and tax him in advance.

Look, typical university profs who have been here for a while are earning around 9 million or more. Others are often in the 7.5-9 million range. They invest and they send money back, etc. Indeed, such people are low hanging fruit. And I was squeezed for all my juice.

Bottom line: Be careful. The tax agencies are demanding that we pay for all of the f-ups of politicians. And they get promoted by bringing in money.

My accountant had me fill out a new form on which I had to provide my whereabouts for the year. Also had to detail my whereabouts for the past 10 years.
                          Last edited by Super Grover; 2013-03-03, 06:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Super Grover View Post
                            Look, typical university profs who have been here for a while are earning around 9 million or more. Others are often in the 7.5-9 million range. They invest and they send money back, etc. Indeed, such people are low hanging fruit. And I was squeezed for all my juice.
                            Just in case, I don't think anybody doubts it happens, but we have narrowed the conspiracy to quite a plausible cohort, as emphasised by the bold text.

Evidence of a tendency to transfer Japanese income out of Japan then sends up the flag that leads to the next stage, which is to determine whether or not you fulfilled your obligations to the NTA, or are trying to avoid them.

BTW, nobody in Japan making 9 or more is low hanging fruit.

More like high income prize game.

You do realise what the natives live on, don't yew?

And FTR, I am sure I speak for anybody worth listening too when I say we wood love to give you back all you're juice.

I wood squeeze a lemon tree if it wood help.

Lemon tree, very pretty
                            and the lemon flower is sweet
                            but the fruit of the pour lemon
                            is impossible to eat

Originally posted by Super Grover View Post
                            Bottom line: Be careful. The tax agencies are demanding that we pay for all of the f-ups of politicians. And they get promoted by bringing in money..
                            And back we go to the weird non sequitir angry tax redneck bit....................

At least you kept it shorter than C'cap's rant above.

Comment

• SG,

What good is an NTA witch hunt if there isn't a Gaijin to burn at the end?

Comment

• Originally posted by edin“ú–{ View Post
                                SG,

What good is an NTA witch hunt if there isn't a Gaijin to burn at the end?
                                Maybe, but forget about "natural xenophobia" (I actually saw someone use that term on Facebook recently to justify right wing groups) for a moment. If I were a tax inspector and I came across a case where a particular type of taxpayer was not declaring a significant amount of foreign income, I might decide to look at another similar taxpayer. If that again yielded a significant amount of evasion and back tax, why wouldn't I then look for another and then another to examine?

That would apply to plumbers, nail bar practitioners, university professors or any other easily identifiable, easily audited group wouldn't it? If the yields were there, you would do more.

Comment

Working...
                                X