Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Applying for credit cards: is credit history back home a factor?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying for credit cards: is credit history back home a factor?

An article on GaijinPot listed Tsutaya as a foreigner-friendly credit card selection. After being turned down by the post office, I applied for a Tsutaya card and I was turned down.

Does credit history in one's home country factor into Japanese credit card applications? Such things as bad credit, unpaid bills, bankruptcy, etc? The reason I ask is because before moving here, I put a credit freeze on my social security to prevent any new accounts being opened in my name now that I live in Japan. However, that is tied to my social security number, and I don't know if Japanese banks even access that sort of thing. I was really hoping that Tsutaya would come through for me, and it was a let down that I was denied. It's their policy that I am not allowed to be told the reason, either.

My ISP requires a credit card for payment (Asahi Internet), and I figured there would be no problem in getting one. I was able to obtain a credit card easily when I last lived in Japan over 10 years ago, but apparently things have changed since then. I will have to switch to another ISP. It's dumb because although Asahi targets foreigners with their English language support staff, those that they target are unable to obtain credit cards in which to pay for their service.

Originally posted by gregbower View Post
    ... Does credit history in one's home country factor into Japanese credit card applications? ....
    No - the card companies here do not have access to credit history overseas.

Comment

Thank you. If that is the case, then apparently Tsutaya is not as foreigner-friendly as was reported on this website.

Do multiple credit card applications and refusals also work negatively in Japan as they do in the States? I'm pretty sure that being turned down multiple times in the USA for credit reflects badly on your credit score.

Comment

Originally posted by gregbower View Post
        ...Do multiple credit card applications and refusals also work negatively in Japan as they do in the States? I'm pretty sure that being turned down multiple times in the USA for credit reflects badly on your credit score.
        Recent credit application is reported by the agencies - and it is up to the card issuer to either use that information or ignore it. Whether a recent application was granted or denied is not reported. (I believe I am accurate on this last point, but could be mistaken - as it has been a long time since I was involved in card issuance.)

Comment

Working...
        X