Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

What DOES Shakai hoken entitle you to?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What DOES Shakai hoken entitle you to?

I know that paying shakai hoken entitles you to free (or 80% free) Japanese healthcare, but my question is this- if I paid into the system for 30-35 years, would I get free healthcare when and if I retired in Japan? For example, if I was 67 and married to a Japanese woman, would I still get free healthcare in my old age, when I needed it most? And also, would I get some kind of pension for having paid 30,000yen every month for a great number of years? And one more point, does the number of years you pay into it affect how much you get? For example, if I paid into it for 25 years, would I get less than someone who had paid into it for 30 years. What a really want to work out is whether I should bother paying into this system now, or just wait and maybe do it in a few years time. Thanks in advance for any replies to my complicated question.

Originally posted by c233sz View Post
    I know that paying shakai hoken entitles you to free (or 80% free) Japanese healthcare, but my question is this- if I paid into the system for 30-35 years, would I get free healthcare when and if I retired in Japan? For example, if I was 67 and married to a Japanese woman, would I still get free healthcare in my old age, when I needed it most? And also, would I get some kind of pension for having paid 30,000yen every month for a great number of years? And one more point, does the number of years you pay into it affect how much you get? For example, if I paid into it for 25 years, would I get less than someone who had paid into it for 30 years. What a really want to work out is whether I should bother paying into this system now, or just wait and maybe do it in a few years time. Thanks in advance for any replies to my complicated question.
    Premiums I believe are based on your income, so if you are retired or a pensioner you pay less than if you are working. Pensions pay something like 10-20%% of the bill when they go to the doctor.

The minimum number of years you must pay in before drawing a pension is 25 years so someone paying in for 30 years will receive a bit more than someone paying for less time. You can be enrolled now but if you do not make payments for several years its called kara-kikan and you will receive less depending on how long you did not pay in.

Comment

Working...
    X