Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Buying a Motorcycle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a Motorcycle

I'm currently a university student and want to purchase a motorcycle. Can someone on a student visa pay off the bike via monthly payments instead of having to pay everything upfront?

Originally posted by Brenms View Post
    I'm currently a university student and want to purchase a motorcycle. Can someone on a student visa pay off the bike via monthly payments instead of having to pay everything upfront?
    I strongly doubt that anywhere will give you credit as a foreign student. It's possible to buy a 50cc scooter for as little as 50,000 yen but I'm guessing that you probably want a proper bike, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Bye-Bye kin View Post
      I strongly doubt that anywhere will give you credit as a foreign student. It's possible to buy a 50cc scooter for as little as 50,000 yen but I'm guessing that you probably want a proper bike, right?
      Yeah, I would die before riding a scooter lol

Suppose I'll just get one off of craigslist... Not looking to get anything above 250cc cause I don't wanna have to deal with Shaken

Comment

You'll also need a proper Japan bike license for anything over 50cc.....

Comment

Originally posted by trip_hop View Post
          You'll also need a proper Japan bike license for anything over 50cc.....
          Can't ride them with a foreign license and intl. permit? (within first year of course)

Comment

Originally posted by hml View Post
            Can't ride them with a foreign license and intl. permit? (within first year of course)
            Yeah you can... He/She has no idea what they're saying

Comment

Yeah you can... He/She has no idea what they're saying
              Here for less than a year Mr/ Ms Know-all? Woo hoo...

Unlike in some American States, you must carry your license with you at all times if you're operating a motor vehicle. You must also carry the title of the vehicle on the bike, (i.e. the insurance form). A non-Japanese license is not a valid license in Japan -- you must have either a Japanese license or international permit.

INTERNATIONAL If one has an international driver's permit with a motorcycle endorsement and your country's valid license, one may drive any size motorcycle. Japan only allows the use of an international permit for up to one year after your latest entry into the country (even if the international license would otherwise not be expired).

CONVERSION FROM A NON-JAPANESE LICENSE A foreign license may generally be converted to a Japanese license. Any international license, or lack thereof is irrelevant. Note: Non-Japanese must have been in the issuing country for three months after the last-date-of-change on the license for it to be convertible in Japan. For Japanese, the three months become six. A motorcycle endorsement converts to a mid-class motorcycle license.

Basic conversion method: Bring alien registration card, passport, foreign license, and about 2,500 yen to a JAF (Japan Automobile Federation, much like the AAA [American/Australian Automobile Association]). They will "translate" your license, and give you some paperwork.

Comment

INTERNATIONAL If one has an international driver's permit with a motorcycle endorsement and your country's valid license, one may drive any size motorcycle. Japan only allows the use of an international permit for up to one year after your latest entry into the country (even if the international license would otherwise not be expired).

Thanks, you just confirmed my last post... You can indeed drive a motorcycle of any size with a foreign license and an international permit with you first year.

Comment

Thanks, you just confirmed my last post... You can indeed drive a motorcycle of any size with a foreign license and an international permit with you first year.
                  yes, within the first year of the original landing date as stated on your ARC. this assuming you have an unlimited license endorsement on your home country license and that is also marked on your IDP.

sorry, but i think it is extremely unlikely that you will get financing on a bike.

Comment

Working...
                  X