Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Part Time Job Taxes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part Time Job Taxes

Do I still have to pay for any taxes if I'm only working part time? Let's say in mcdonalds or 7/11

Originally posted by A.W.
    Yes, consumption tax and ward tax. If your income reaches a certain amount whether it be from a part-time job, a full-time job or a blow-job, you will need to pay taxes. Regardless.
    And what is that amount? Will I be paying the ward tax monthly or yearly?

Of course consumption tax is for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by kafkareich View Post
      And what is that amount? Will I be paying the ward tax monthly or yearly?

Of course consumption tax is for everyone.
      city tax is levied 4 times a year (3-monthly) but you can arrange to pay in monthly instalments.

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
        city tax is levied 4 times a year (3-monthly) but you can arrange to pay in monthly instalments.
        What % of the salary would be the city tax? And also would the ward office have an english speaker so that I could talk to him about this in detail?

Comment

What % of the salary would be the city tax?
          Is usually about 8%

also would the ward office have an english speaker so that I could talk to him about this in detail?
          This is Japan, not Sydney. Don't be so hopeful. Best idea is start to learn Japanese if you want to get ahead here.
          Last edited by KansaiBen; 2012-08-07, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Residents Tax (which is, I think, what you are referring to when you say city tax), is 10%@of taxable income.

To be even more pedantic, that 10% is comprised of a 6% city tax, and a 4% prefecture tax.

Comment

It's because I'm really afraid of taking a part time job and missing to pay the tax. I might get caught or something.

Comment

Originally posted by kafkareich View Post
                It's because I'm really afraid of taking a part time job and missing to pay the tax. I might get caught or something.
                You only pay if the employer registers you as an employee at the tax office when he files his taxes. Even if you have paid no direct taxation if the tax office knows that you have worked for that company they may levy income/resident tax. Its usually levied after you file a tax return in February.

I also believe if you earn under 1 million a year in combined earnings there is no need to file a tax return (low income earner)

Comment

Working...
                X