Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Scammers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scammers

Anybody else here been accosted by the SPRINGHILLGROUP.net out of Korea?

They have tried to get me to sign up about 2 times over the last 3 years.

First you'll get a call from some whiny woman who talks at about a million miles an hour.
    She'll ask if you are Mr. Such and such who owns or works for ABC-Kaisha etc.

Can smell the scam from the first few words...

She then asks if you invest in the stockmarket and if you'd like to receive free investment advice and could she send you a letter with details.

She then rambles off your address which she had got from somewhere.
    In my case it was an address that I hadn't lived in for years.

So, I told her my new address at the same speed she was speaking to me.
    She then repeated the address to me and spelt out (incorrectly a lot of it). the longer words...

Even though she had totally made a mess of the address I told her it was correct.
    I then let her have an email address as I wanted to see what she'd send me.

The letter arrived after about 3 weeks after the poor postman broke the code. (was actually delivered by US-Postal and had to be signed).

They will probably contact me again in a few days to ask if I got the application form...and tell me about this great investment...

Did a search on the web and there are a lot of complaints about them ripping off people.

Even filling out the application form gives them the right to 'lose all your money' with no responsibility on their part.

The catalogue they sent looks nice except it says nothing.

Looking forward to the next telephone call.

I wonder if Mr. Klinsmann will make the call himself this time and not his lackies. Afterall his business card was attached to the cattle dog.

I'd say they got my name and address from the net that lists me the owner of a school.
    She asked if I was the 'Principal'...

Idiots.

And they make the call on Skype as well... wonder if their head office is in Nigeria or Ghana?

Speaking of scammers, the NHK guy came to our door recently. We have an video-com, and he was standing off to the side, out of the range of the camera. My wife figured it out though, and didn't open the door.

Fast forward to a few days back. Our doorbell goes, and I look through the video-com, and there is no one there. I thought it was the NHK guy again, so I said "dare, dare", in kind of a harsh tone.

Turns out it was the 4 year old kid from next door come to play with my boy - and he's too short to show up in the video. I kind of freaked the poor kid out. Oops!

Comment

Originally posted by Chromedome View Post
      Anybody else here been accosted by the SPRINGHILLGROUP.net out of Korea?

They have tried to get me to sign up about 2 times over the last 3 years.

First you'll get a call from some whiny woman who talks at about a million miles an hour.
      She'll ask if you are Mr. Such and such who owns or works for ABC-Kaisha etc.

Can smell the scam from the first few words...

She then asks if you invest in the stockmarket and if you'd like to receive free investment advice and could she send you a letter with details.

She then rambles off your address which she had got from somewhere.
      In my case it was an address that I hadn't lived in for years.

So, I told her my new address at the same speed she was speaking to me.
      She then repeated the address to me and spelt out (incorrectly a lot of it). the longer words...

Even though she had totally made a mess of the address I told her it was correct.
      I then let her have an email address as I wanted to see what she'd send me.

The letter arrived after about 3 weeks after the poor postman broke the code. (was actually delivered by US-Postal and had to be signed).

They will probably contact me again in a few days to ask if I got the application form...and tell me about this great investment...

Did a search on the web and there are a lot of complaints about them ripping off people.

Even filling out the application form gives them the right to 'lose all your money' with no responsibility on their part.

The catalogue they sent looks nice except it says nothing.

Looking forward to the next telephone call.

I wonder if Mr. Klinsmann will make the call himself this time and not his lackies. Afterall his business card was attached to the cattle dog.

I'd say they got my name and address from the net that lists me the owner of a school.
      She asked if I was the 'Principal'...

Idiots.

And they make the call on Skype as well... wonder if their head office is in Nigeria or Ghana?
      Here: http://www.fsa.gov.uk/doing/regulate...rised-firms#20

Comment

Financial Services Authority
        The Financial Services Authority (gFSAh) of the United Kingdom would like to
        alert all recipients that:

Springhill Group
        22F S-Tower, 116 Shinmunno 1-ga
        Jongno-gu, Seoul, South Korea
        Tel: 008227672721
        Email:admin@springhillgroup.com

is NOT authorised under the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (gFSMAh) to
        carry on a regulated activity in the United Kingdom. Regulated activities include,
        amongst other things, advising on investments and dealing and arranging deals in
        investments ("investments" include stocks and shares).

The FSA believes that this organisation may be targeting UK customers. Therefore,
        we have added this firm to our list of unauthorised overseas firms operating in the
        United Kingdom.

This list can be found at:
        http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Re...overseas.shtml

If you have any further questions on this matter please email our Consumer Contact
        Centre at consumer.queries@fsa.gov.uk, or alternatively by telephone on 0845 606
        1234. Overseas callers can contact us on (+44) 20 7066 1000.

Date: 21 June 2012

Comment

Working...
        X