Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

JP Office refuse to accept old Alien Registration Card

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Effected After View Post
    What post office was that? They are obviously confused about the actual law.
    The Setagaya-ku post office. However, as since1990 posted above --- it is on the official Japan post website as well.

Comment

OK - so far, refused for ID when transferring funds overseas, and for signing for mail that requires a signature. Any other examples?

I am wondering if they would refuse to transfer funds from my JP account to another domestic party....?

Comment

i wonder if this is actually legal?

i don't buy the "this is japan, they can do illegal things because we're gaijin" BS, if it's illegal it should be challenged and shut down

Comment

Originally posted by paradoxbox View Post

i don't buy the "this is japan, they can do illegal things because we're gaijin" BS, if it's illegal it should be challenged and shut down
          Same here - they are refusing to accept a legally issued government approved ID..... What is next - passports, drivers licenses?

Comment

Yes, in theory. However, in practice it is far easier to go down to immigration have your Zairyu card issued.

Comment

Originally posted by Since1990 View Post
              Yes, in theory. However, in practice it is far easier to go down to immigration have your Zairyu card issued.
              Much simpler then fighting the law yes, but wanting to ask my boss for time off to do that is not simple with the fabulous hours of Government services.

TBH, I work insane hours so even going to the post office is hard enough before 11 pm.

Comment

Have to agree - "just go to the immigration offices and get your new card" might be the best (ie. protects the 'wa') solution but not always easy. In fact, for some, it's a downright pain in the azz.

Just call the cops and explain that your belongings have been stolen. Cops show up. They verify who you are and (hopefully) let the PO people know. Get someone else to do your fights.

Comment

i think the problem is that the government sent out notices about the new resident card being a new legal form of ID for foreigners. the problem is that they failed to emphasize that the old ARC will also continue to be considered a legal form of ID until they expire, or july 2015, whichever comes first.

as a result, a lot idiots have made bad policies such as this based on their poor understanding of the new ID regulations. when it is a shop like Don Quixote refusing to sell pre-paid phones, it is annoying but not such a big deal. when it is a huge public entity like Japan Post, it is a huge problem for the foreign community.

based on past experience, i feel that this will get cleared up and the policy will be clarified and changed eventually.

Comment

I agree with that, HD, but I think the underlying issue is just stultified Japanese organisational logic:

there is a new card, that replaces the old card, therefore the old card must be, well, old.

Didn't somebody get their New Card refused at a cell phone shop (as posted above)????

Jpn shop clerk: You must have an ARC to register.

Random ChariMan: But this is the new form of ARC.

Jpn shop clerk: You must have an ARC card to register.

Random ChariMan: But this is the new form of ARC. It replaced my old ARC and is now the legal government ID for resident foreigners.

Jpn shop clerk: You must have an ARC to register. This unit must function as programmed..........non sequitir......non sequitir.............this unit will self-destruct........................

The right hand is too busy sticking its fingers up its boombox for the left hand to figure out what it is doing.

Though I do it with sympathy, I am laughing half a ball off at this.

If one could have bet they would screw it up somehow, I would have bet big.

Comment

Originally posted by kurogane View Post
                      I agree with that, HD, but I think the underlying issue is just stultified Japanese organisational logic:

there is a new card, that replaces the old card, therefore the old card must be, well, old.

Didn't somebody get their New Card refused at a cell phone shop (as posted above)????

opps, you are right, it was a new card that was refused at Don Quixote.

i think Japan Post and others incorrectly assume that all should now have the new card. the j gov did a poor job making it clear that there is a transition period during which both cards should be acceptable forms of ID.

Comment

Originally posted by haildamage View Post
                        based on past experience, i feel that this will get cleared up and the policy will be clarified and changed eventually.
                        If people make a fuss about it, as they should do, I suppose so as well. Maybe when the post office starts overflowing with undelivered parcels they might start to get it themselves?

... nah

Comment

Sorry if this has been posted but :

Gaijin cards valid until 2015 — but not at the post office

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/fl20120925at.html

Reader AM informed us that Japan Post no longer accepts alien registration cards as valid identification.

"Even though alien registration certificates are valid until 2015, Japan Post decided effective July 9, 2012, to no longer accept such cards. Please see this website," he writes.

"I found this out when needing to show identification for receiving a restricted delivery mail service document. I am a permanent resident. I find it odd, perhaps discriminatory, and certainly a bureaucratic overreach on the part of the postal service."

We confirmed this with Japan Post; it's true that they are now only accepting the new resident cards (zairyūkādo), which have replaced alien registration cards, despite the fact the latter are still valid until renewal or 2015 (whichever comes first). If you have another form of picture ID, such as a driver's license, this should work, or a passport if your address doesn't need to be confirmed.
                          Last edited by Old Style; 2012-09-28, 01:12 PM.

Comment

There is a misunderstanding ....

This is not a civilised country, this is a feudal state, a third world country. Many Japanese officials are racist, and deep inside fascists. Many officials here have a deep resentment against gaijins, because of an enormous inferiority complex (which is actually not a complex at all) and will use any opportunity to mess with foreigners.
                            Happily for "us" though, most of them are kind, friendly and polite and helpful.... so, basically it is a question of luck, who you happen to bump into.
                            If you would simply remember this in all dealings with this state, so you would not get childish ideas like "challenged and shut down", and thus save yourself a lot of tíme and nerves.

If you prefer to remain a 12year old, be my guest and run your head against the wall.....

Comment

Best solution.....

Originally posted by Since1990 View Post
                              I have to take my old card, my passport and WHAT SIZE pictures, please?

Comment

Originally posted by John Grey View Post
                                I have to take my old card, my passport and WHAT SIZE pictures, please?
                                From my understanding 30x40mm

Comment

Working...
                                X