Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Filing US back taxes and should I file a FBAR??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hml View Post
    So if I never file again, they can't penalize me! *victory dance*
    To be clear, the IRS can put its hands in your pockets no matter how delinquent you are in filing your taxes. The statute of limitations is for filing criminal charges. There is no statute of limitations for civil penalties.

http://www.enotes.com/taxes-reference/tax-evasion

Comment

Originally posted by Plats View Post
      What happens if you get an inheritance, I wonder. I suspect there would be tax related issues in that case.
      I hadn`t filed from 1984 through 1989 and again from 1991 through 1994.

I was planning to buy property in 1998 and realized I had better clear up my tax history so I went to the US Embassy in Tokyo.

They gave the tax forms for each year and told me what to write on the top.

I then paid a US accountant in Tokyo to do the first year and did the rest myself.

I really had no idea how much I earned during those years so I put something like $25,000 or $30,000.

The IRS didn`t really care. All they wanted was me back on file.

It isn`t all the difficult. Just pay to have the 1st year done and don`t worry about having to back up the numbers if you can`t. As long as they are roughly correct and you haven`t been making over the foreign exclusion amount you should be o.k.

I wouldn`t mess around with the IRS too much. I got audited in 1999 when my dumb ___ American accountant (who taught at Temple mind you...) told me I didn`t need to declare the $200 I earned one year in the US while on a summer break.

Well, the IRS contacted me about the money and my accountant had to straighten things out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken44 View Post
        I hadn`t filed from 1984 through 1989 and again from 1991 through 1994.

I was planning to buy property in 1998 and realized I had better clear up my tax history so I went to the US Embassy in Tokyo.

They gave the tax forms for each year and told me what to write on the top.

I then paid a US accountant in Tokyo to do the first year and did the rest myself.

I really had no idea how much I earned during those years so I put something like $25,000 or $30,000.

The IRS didn`t really care. All they wanted was me back on file.

It isn`t all the difficult. Just pay to have the 1st year done and don`t worry about having to back up the numbers if you can`t. As long as they are roughly correct and you haven`t been making over the foreign exclusion amount you should be o.k.

I wouldn`t mess around with the IRS too much. I got audited in 1999 when my dumb ___ American accountant (who taught at Temple mind you...) told me I didn`t need to declare the $200 I earned one year in the US while on a summer break.

Well, the IRS contacted me about the money and my accountant had to straighten things out.
        My comments about inheritance were to hml. I am current in regards to the IRS.

Funny about your accountant and other stories in this thread about other professionals. It seems we have to teach every one of them the tax laws and then we are expected to pay them, when it should be the other way around. I had to teach the head office of a major mutual fund company that I couldn't fund an IRA with excluded income and I still have to pay them a management fee every year.

hml's case is ironic. Tax evasion is usually when you take steps to lower your tax liability illegally, while by not filing he has not taken steps which would negate all tax liability. This is more an offense against reason and logic than a criminal offense.

Comment

What happens if you get an inheritance, I wonder. I suspect there would be tax related issues in that case.
          Most definitely NOT an issue in my case!

Originally posted by Ken44 View Post
          But you do have a SS# and a passport. Not too difficult to cross check such info with the IRS.

I am not suggesting you would be arrested but I wouldn`t be surprised if the IRS decides they want to know more about the huge gap between now and the last time you filed.

You are only allowed the foreign exclusion if you file and the fact that you haven`t for years may come back to haunt you.
          Color me "not worried".

Originally posted by Majestic View Post
          To be clear, the IRS can put its hands in your pockets no matter how delinquent you are in filing your taxes. The statute of limitations is for filing criminal charges. There is no statute of limitations for civil penalties.
          Wouldn't surprise me if they could, but it would surprise me if they did anything after all this time. I guess I should spend my cash!

hml's case is ironic. Tax evasion is usually when you take steps to lower your tax liability illegally, while by not filing he has not taken steps which would negate all tax liability. This is more an offense against reason and logic than a criminal offense.
          Yah, it does seem rather silly, but it's just a pain in the a.ss so I don't bother.

Comment

Working...
          X