Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

6 month wait for opening bank account

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 month wait for opening bank account

a few years ago on my spouse visa I tried opening a bank account, I told the 6 month wait from the date of issue of my old gaijin card.
    today I got told the same thing by gaijin friendly citi bank

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=372Ah0Z_L1w

i ain't moaning, but is the 6 month wait individual policy or an actual law?
    cause ever other gaijin seems to of got a bank account in 5 seconds.

Use Shinsei Bank.

Opened it the first week I was in Japan, I didn't even have my ARC back then, but had the paper certificate from the city office to certify my address and status.

Comment

Originally posted by themoonrules View Post
      Use Shinsei Bank.

Opened it the first week I was in Japan, I didn't even have my ARC back then, but had the paper certificate from the city office to certify my address and status.
      tomorow i shall go shinsei!

Comment

Originally posted by themoonrules View Post
        Use Shinsei Bank.

^^what he said^^

Comment

The kicker is not everyone in their branches speak English, but supplied material is in Japanese and English. If you know rudimentary basic Japanese then you'll be fine, otherwise the process is pretty painless. You can also open an account through the mail in English as well.

Pretty much make sure you have your residence card and supply them with your standard information. I remembered when I signed up, I was taken over to a computer terminal, and one of the clerks assisted me with the whole process. I remember one part did ask for Katakana spelling, but on the card itself and account your name appears in Romaji.

Aside from the standard stuff like your name, birthday, address, phone etc they will ask you to set a pin number for your ATM card and you can choose one of 32 colors for your atm card:
          http://www.shinseibank.com/english/powerflex/card.html

You don't need any hanko to open an account with Shinsei, you can use your signature, but make sure it's the signature style you always use, because I had one instance where I was doing something at a branch office and the Shinsei people returned my paperwork 3 times because the signature I used on the form did not match my signature when I first opened the account, I was dumbfounded, finally the lady told me that the signature I provided did not have an extra "loop" I usually do when signing my name! (Otherwise, I'm satisfied with Shinsei bank).

BTW visiting a branch is rare after you have an account with them, because you can do most Japanese banking stuff online or via ATM in English.
          ATMs do not charge any fees, even if you use a ATM that charges a fee, Shinsei Bank covers this fee for you. 7-11 Convenience Store ATMs are Shinsei Bank friendly as well. The ATM card is on the PLUS network, so you can make overseas withdrawals without problems.

After all your paperwork is done, they will make your card at the branch, just wait a bit and you'll walk out with a bank account and card.
          Note that you will have to wait until a Security Code Card is mailed to you before you can start using internet banking. Do not lose the security code card because it's required to log into your account online to do online transactions.
          Last edited by themoonrules; 2012-09-20, 04:24 PM.

Comment

I opened a bank account this week on a Working Holiday Visa and with a new Residence Card, having been here for just a week. It depends who you get at the counter I think, as Mizuho turned me down saying I needed to be here for 6 months before opening or I need my employer to request it. MUFG said the same thing initially until management arrived and after some enquiries about my motives agreed to proceed with the application. I would have been stuffed if I didn't take a Japanese speaker along with me. Citibank was next on my list. I've never seen a Shinsei bank branch in Tokyo to be honest although it's a popular recommendation on this forum and I don't actually look for it.

Comment

Shinsei Bank locations:

http://www.shinseibank.com/english/a...ation.html#000

If you use Tokyo Metro subway in Tokyo a alot you might of walked past Shinsei Bank ATMs.

Comment

Originally posted by jamiel View Post
                I opened a bank account this week on a Working Holiday Visa and with a new Residence Card, having been here for just a week. It depends who you get at the counter I think, as Mizuho turned me down saying I needed to be here for 6 months before opening or I need my employer to request it. MUFG said the same thing initially until management arrived and after some enquiries about my motives agreed to proceed with the application. I would have been stuffed if I didn't take a Japanese speaker along with me. Citibank was next on my list. I've never seen a Shinsei bank branch in Tokyo to be honest although it's a popular recommendation on this forum and I don't actually look for it.

Im in the exact same boat as you and yesterday the prick at the Shinsei in Ikebukoro wouldn't process my application without a telephone number.
                and I can get a pre-pay phone either!

Comment

Originally posted by miramira View Post
                  Im in the exact same boat as you and yesterday the prick at the Shinsei in Ikebukoro wouldn't process my application without a telephone number.
                  Go to a different branch with your work's or a friend's telephone number and sign up. There'll be absolutely no phone calls to the number - I actually had some Nova number listed as mine for years (like up until last year, when I caught it while doing paperwork).

Comment

Originally posted by miramira View Post
                    Why can't you get a prepaid phone? Show up at softbank, passport and resident card. No bank account required for prepaid service.

Comment

Working...
                    X