Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Going to Japan - Some questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to Japan - Some questions

Hi everyone!

About 8 months ago I bought a house in Japan and I realized that soon I'll be a non-permanent resident. Before moving to Japan, I'm trying to learn more about its taxes and I have some questions...

I have a small family business here in Brazil. Our income is from renting and occasionally selling some property. I intend to remit some of my income to Japan to pay my daily expenses there until I find a job. The greater part will stay in Brazil.

I read the 2011 Income Tax Guide and as far as I understand, I must fill the Income Tax Return regardless of how much my remittance will be because the money came from abroad, right?

Under what type and taxation method this income will fit?

Also, my remitted income will be subjected to 5% to 40% of taxes depending on how much and other factors as deductions, exemptions, etc. (Form A minus Form B = C), right?

Thanks a lot.

I am no expert but if you bring in lump sums rather than a monthly amounts then you could say that you are bringing in savings rather than income. If you have savings then that is demonstrably true, if the money comes from a savings account.

Comment

Are you already paying taxes on that income in Brasil ? Or are you avoiding taxes by declaring you're a non-resident in Brasil.
      Personally, I would not declare it, but it's up to you. But especially if you want to get Permanent Residency/Citizenship, you might want to avoid any future problems.

Comment

Originally posted by ttokyo View Post
        Are you already paying taxes on that income in Brasil ? Or are you avoiding taxes by declaring you're a non-resident in Brasil.
        ttokyo, yes, we have an accountant who deals with our business taxes in Brazil and we pay all taxes accordingly. I'm going to live in Japan because of personal decisions rather than fiscal ones.

Personally, I would not declare it, but it's up to you. But especially if you want to get Permanent Residency/Citizenship, you might want to avoid any future problems.
        I want a Permanent Residency and I don't want to have any problems with Japanese authorities. I'm just confused on how much of my remittance could be taxed and how I must fill the forms in order to declare that amount.

Brown Cow, thank you for your advice, in fact I'll be sending an initial lump sum. But the rest of my money will be difficult to prove that is from savings so I think would be more realistic if I prepare for the worst.

Comment

What sort of visa status will you have???

Remittances for daily expenses and daily life are taxed differently, IHOMO, but I do not have any experience or knowledge with money going to Japan, only from it, and within it.

At any rate, to the tax boffins, this sounds like a Shi-okuri situation, at least at first, so could he not claim he is simply transferring money from Brazil to pay his way until he gets a Japanese income?????

Comment

So if you don't declare the income you don't have to pay taxes, but might get refused the visa because you have no income ?

There's a lot of explanation here http://www.nta.go.jp/taxanswer/english/12006.htm and also find out if Japan has a double-taxation agreement with Brazil.

Comment

I get the feeling he's planning on applying for PR based on the home ownership.

He is a New Worlder, after all, and that is often enough.

Somebody should set him straight on that.

OP,

What sort of visa status are you thinking of for the initial 5 years or so until you are eligible for Permanent Resident???

Comment

Originally posted by kurogane View Post
                I get the feeling he's planning on applying for PR based on the home ownership.

He is a New Worlder, after all, and that is often enough.

Somebody should set him straight on that.

OP,

What sort of visa status are you thinking of for the initial 5 years or so until you are eligible for Permanent Resident???
                Kurogane, I'm married to a Japanese but I'm thinking of spending my first years doing academic research and hopefully teaching and/or working as a consultant. I'm already sending applications to some Universities near from I wish to live.

Comment

So if you don't declare the income you don't have to pay taxes, but might get refused the visa because you have no income ?

There's a lot of explanation here http://www.nta.go.jp/taxanswer/english/12006.htm and also find out if Japan has a double-taxation agreement with Brazil.
                  ttokyo, thanks! I've read and it helped a lot.

I think that you guys are trying to tell me is that I should't care much about declaring my income from abroad as long as I remit small amounts only to cover my daily expenses in Japan, right?

So am I being too paranoid about this?

Comment

Originally posted by gassis View Post
                    Kurogane, I'm married to a Japanese but I'm thinking of spending my first years doing academic research and hopefully teaching and/or working as a consultant. I'm already sending applications to some Universities near from I wish to live.
                    Aaahhh, gotcha! I was worried you were thinking of moving there as an independent immigrant, the way you might come to Canada, or me to Brazil.

As for the university research part, good for you.

I did my postgrad at Kyoto, and worked at a university in Osaka.

What is your field of research??

I might be able to give you some tips.

Also, you should think about applying for a Monbusho Research Scholarship.

Then you won't need your remittances from Brazil.....

Originally posted by gassis View Post
                    ttokyo, thanks! I've read and it helped a lot.

I think that you guys are trying to tell me is that I should't care much about declaring my income from abroad as long as I remit small amounts only to cover my daily expenses in Japan, right?

So am I being too paranoid about this?
                    I think you should declare all foreign remittances (not doing so could come back to haunt you in years to come), but if you are studying or doing research, I am quite sure you could claim it as what is known as Shi-okuri (a living allowance), and not need to call it income for tax purposes.

You should however, set up a bank account for the remittances that is not in your name, as they might think you are just sending yourself money, and declare it as income.

Tax Guys???????? Opinions, scathing comments.............????

Comment

Originally posted by kurogane View Post
                      Aaahhh, gotcha! I was worried you were thinking of moving there as an independent immigrant, the way you might come to Canada, or me to Brazil.

As for the university research part, good for you.

I did my postgrad at Kyoto, and worked at a university in Osaka.

What is your field of research??

I might be able to give you some tips.
                      Kurogane, thank you for your concerns. I'm sorry I didn't explain myself in the beginning.

I'm trying to do my research in Kyoto as well! I'm graduated in Architecture but my field of study would be more oriented to engineering (structural systems). If you have any tips, anything really, I appreciate!

Comment

Working...
                      X