Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

credit card under 21 can be ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• credit card under 21 can be ??

i am student here in japan trying to get credit card i am 19 years old btw

getting monthly 330000 yen so could that be ???

or anyway to shopping from internet ?

Originally posted by wari View Post
    i am student ... getting monthly 330000 yen
    I would never quit school...

Comment

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me <_< >_>

Comment

lol guys

it's scholarship

so anyway ??

Comment

How long have you been in Japan?

When I first arrived, I was also 19, got about 200,000 but still got rejected.

Comment

A person has to be an adult to get a credit card and in Japan you have to be 20 to be considered an adult ! That means it is better to wait until you have turned 20 and then apply (like about 10 years) Being a foreigner or having a high paying job does not matter, it just means that we have to jump through more hoops visible ones and invisible ones and still have a good chance of getting turned down. The OP best bet is to apply to Rakuten for a card!
            Last edited by BackDoor_Man; 2012-10-07, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BackDoor_Man View Post
              A person has to be an adult to get a credit card and in Japan you have to be 20 to be considered an adult ! That means it is better to wait until you have turned 20 and then apply (like about 10 years) Being a foreigner or having a high paying job does not matter, it just means that we have to jump through more hoops visible ones and invisible ones and still have a good chance of getting turned down. The OP best bet is to apply to Rakuten for a card!
              There are credit cards in Japan that 18 year olds can get, there is no 20 year old requirement. Some cards do place age requirements, like many of the GOLD cards in Japan are offered for those 30 or over. However for foreigners, especially a student who is a foreigner, chances are slim they would get any credit card.

If the poster needs a card for online shopping etc then, the poster could get a Visa branded DEBIT card by opening a bank account that offers Visa branded debit cards such as Resona Bank, Suruga Bank or Rakuten Bank. A Visa debit card can essentially be used anywhere Visa credit cards are accepted, the differences is the money is deducted directly from your bank account, so you are spending only what you have.

Suruga Bank:
              http://www.surugabank.co.jp/surugaba...ri/visa_debit/

Resona Bank:
              http://www.resona-gr.co.jp/resonaban...bit/index.html

Again these are Visa branded debit cards, not credit cards, but you can use them at the same places that accept Visa cards.

Comment

thank you guys that was helpful

Comment

Originally posted by themoonrules View Post
                  There are credit cards in Japan that 18 year olds can get, there is no 20 year old requirement. Some cards do place age requirements, like many of the GOLD cards in Japan are offered for those 30 or over. However for foreigners, especially a student who is a foreigner, chances are slim they would get any credit card.

If the poster needs a card for online shopping etc then, the poster could get a Visa branded DEBIT card by opening a bank account that offers Visa branded debit cards such as Resona Bank, Suruga Bank or Rakuten Bank. A Visa debit card can essentially be used anywhere Visa credit cards are accepted, the differences is the money is deducted directly from your bank account, so you are spending only what you have.

Suruga Bank:
                  http://www.surugabank.co.jp/surugaba...ri/visa_debit/

Resona Bank:
                  http://www.resona-gr.co.jp/resonaban...bit/index.html

Again these are Visa branded debit cards, not credit cards, but you can use them at the same places that accept Visa cards.

Visa branded debit cards doesn't have cash back or something like that ??

Comment

A debit card works on the principal that you have money in the bank to cover any purchase you make using the card. It has no limits on it. If you purchase something with it you have to have the money to cover it, if not the card will not work! A credit card works different. As long as you do not exceed its limit and keep making the payments you can buy things with it. I moght be wrong but you do not pay interest on debit cards, where you do on credit cards!

Comment

Originally posted by BackDoor_Man View Post
                      A debit card works on the principal that you have money in the bank to cover any purchase you make using the card. It has no limits on it. If you purchase something with it you have to have the money to cover it, if not the card will not work! A credit card works different. As long as you do not exceed its limit and keep making the payments you can buy things with it. I moght be wrong but you do not pay interest on debit cards, where you do on credit cards!
                      You don't pay any interest on debit card purchases because well it's your actual money being spent at the time of purchase. Credit Cards on the other hand essentially give you an advanced loan which you have to pay back later, the later you wait, the more you pay with interest.

Debit cards are great if you need the convenience of a Visa branded card for purchases (can be used anywhere Visa credit cards are accepted), but you cannot spend more than you can afford, essentially it's cash in a card format.
                      Last edited by themoonrules; 2012-10-07, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X