Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Suddenly, we can't receive Paypal donations from overseas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suddenly, we can't receive Paypal donations from overseas

Apologies if I am posting in the wrong forum.

For several years, users of our free software have been able to make small donations to the project through Paypal. Since last weekend, they are being told that it is not possible to send money to a Japanese account "at the moment". We have tried contacting Paypal but they are not answering.

Does anyone know what is going on?

Thank you all in advance.

Terrorist.

Comment

Originally posted by hml View Post
      Terrorist.
      Lame comment.

Here's some info that I have...
      I send and receive payments via Paypal as well. Not donations, but money from ebay, etc. My Paypal account was recently limited to only sending payments. Right now, I cannot receive payments. I contacted Paypal through their customer service link on the website and they informed me that a majority of Paypal users in Japan now have to submit additional paperwork to prove their identity. For foreigners, we have to submit a copy of our alien registration card. Japanese nationals have to submit a copy of their passport, driver's license, etc. The process seems relatively easy, but it appears as though we have to wait for a PIN number to be mailed to our home addresses before we can lift the receiving limit.
      Click on the LIMITS link on your Paypal page and you'll find the directions there. Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Invalid View Post
        Here's some info that I have...
        I send and receive payments via Paypal as well. Not donations, but money from ebay, etc. My Paypal account was recently limited to only sending payments. Right now, I cannot receive payments. I contacted Paypal through their customer service link on the website and they informed me that a majority of Paypal users in Japan now have to submit additional paperwork to prove their identity. For foreigners, we have to submit a copy of our alien registration card. Japanese nationals have to submit a copy of their passport, driver's license, etc. The process seems relatively easy, but it appears as though we have to wait for a PIN number to be mailed to our home addresses before we can lift the receiving limit.
        Click on the LIMITS link on your Paypal page and you'll find the directions there. Good Luck.
        Thank you very much. This is the first lead I get. I'll look into it right away.

Comment

By coincidence, I tried to add some cash from my US bank to my US paypal account today.

No dice!

Seems they want a fax of my photo ID and a utility bill to confirm my US address (that I haven't lived at for 15 years).

So, I either pull out the gimp and get to work doctoring the docs, or close the account. I'm gonna go with closing the account.

Bastards. This is something to do with "new Federal Regulations" that kicked in in April this year.

Comment

Paypal sucks hairy balls.

So does their offspring - eBay.

An ebay staff member told me they prefer not to deal with customers/users outside Japan
            (immediately after that, denied saying it, of course)

Comment

Working...
            X