Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Form 3903: What can be deducted as a moving expense?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by evilone View Post
    Actually the wording I've read seems to imply that if you don't file timely, you can't file the exclusion after the fact and end up getting taxed on the whole shebang.
    My impression too -- namely, the exemption is not automatic, but has to be claimed, etc. Tho I'm sure they would not screw you just because you were a few months late, there seems to be an implied threat like if you never bothered to file they could decide not to let you take it because 'you didn't claim it when you had the chance', hehehe.

Comment

By the way has anybody called the IRS recently? Used to be so-so I guess. I called recently and got a woman who was really really stupid, just did not seem to have a clue about anything. Because I'm using skype I can call US toll free numbers (my skype originates calls from the US). Got agent after only 10 minute wait. She gets my number, 'put you on hold why I get your record'. Now, we know that takes like 15 seconds, but she was away for 10 minutes, came back to ask if I filed a revised return (possibly because i only filed my 2011 return this may), takes another 7-8 minutes. Then she did not understand anything, not even very basic concepts. God it's very scary to think if I have a real problem these are the people I'd have to deal with. I can't imagine what that shop must be like - ignorant women talking to each other for 5 minutes about their nails with customers on hold...completely untrained and unsupervised. Seem to be pretty useless.

My US bank credit card cust svc people are totally brilliant compared to that lot. At the state tax in CA service used to be good but they have cut back a lot and now you can never get through unless you get in very first thing in the morning. I've tried all times of day (their time, of course) besides that and they are too busy to even put you on hold any other time of the day, every day of the week.

Comment

Originally posted by kabunushi View Post
        My impression too -- namely, the exemption is not automatic, but has to be claimed, etc. Tho I'm sure they would not screw you just because you were a few months late, there seems to be an implied threat like if you never bothered to file they could decide not to let you take it because 'you didn't claim it when you had the chance', hehehe.
        This is only true if they file a substitute return for you, or otherwise initiate action against you.

And in any case, foreign tax credits can still be taken. Despite what many believe, it is not foreign earned income exclusion or bust.

In fact, in many cases (particularly if you are in a high tax bracket in Japan) it may actually be advantageous not to take the exclusion if you wish to accumulate foreign tax credits for carryover purposes. I will leave this as an exercise to the reader.

Faithfully,
        A.

Comment

Working...
        X