The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less



Pensions question

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pensions question

    So i have a bit of a specific question for you all, hopefully someone can shed some light.

    I moved here in April and stayed for 3 months on savings i have in my bank, ended up marrying my girlfriend and successfully changing status to spouse of japanese national a few days before the visa waiver was due to expire - my resident card says im permitted to stay for one year, i went to city hall and registered, got everything sorted out and a health insurance card.

    today i received a letter from the japanese pension service containing a number of pay slips covering the next 3 years, only two of which for the remainder of 2013, one for just over 110,000 and another for just over 83,000, if i were to pay these then i would more or less be paid up until april 2014.

    currently i am not employed as the work i have lined up has been delayed until december or later - this isnt a huge problem as i have ample funds available in savings anyway.

    The thing is, we're leaving the country in December and potentially not coming back depending on how things go.

    So my question is as someone living here on a 1 year spouse of japanese national visa, currently not working - should i actually be paying into the pension or should i go to the pensions office and explain my situation?

    Im not trying to sneak out of paying something if i should be paying it, of course, i just dont want to pay for something if i dont actually need to.

  • #2
    Originally posted by naoneo View Post
    ... or should i go to the pensions office and explain my situation? ...
    I'd go and ask directly - but you may be able to do this at your ward office, and not the pension agency office, which I presume would be further away and more of a hassle.


    • #3
      I believe the official word is that everyone, foreigners and Japanese alike, must pay into a pension fund unless they make below a certain amount. (That might be health insurance, though, so ask.)

      For us foreigners, you can get back a large portion of this covering the previous 3 years' stay.

      Your choice if you want to go that route.