Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Advice on living and working in Japan.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on living and working in Japan.

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

I am a 24 year old female from England hoping to do a Working Holiday Visa early next year in Japan. My primary objective is to further my Japanese language skills and experience Japanese culture.

I have a good amount of savings to help me get set up, and Ifm not particularly fussy about lodgings (as long as itfs a safe environment.) I have been learning Japanese for around 4 months now, and I feel I am at that stage where I want to be speaking it every day, learning new words etc. I am educated to HND level (All but the last year of a BA.) and I hold a TEFL certificate. I also help out at a local college once a week on their ESOL evening courses.

Do you think my chances of finding work will be slim? I would like to teach, but I wouldnft even mind bar work. Anything to just help me with my language skills really. Ifm not looking for sponsorship as I know that you have to have a BA for that. I think the year on the WHV will be enough though.

I guess to put it simple, I would like your thoughts as to whether or not I could survive and find work in Japan. As Ifm sure you all know, it is a big life decision to move to a foreign country.

Many thanks for reading!

I think you will be fine. You sound like just the sort of person to not only survive but thrive. I'm sure you will find work and I'm sure you will adapt to its demands.

Enjoy it.

Comment

If you're relatively cute you might want to look into hostessing. They're always hiring. You can basically start working the same day as you apply.
      Without a B.A your English teaching chances won't be great and you will be paid a survival wage if you get a job.
      But hell , while you're young why not come and give it a shot?

Comment

I disagree that finding an English teaching job won't be great. As long as you can breathe, speak English and have a valid status (eg you have a WHV) then finding a company to hire you might not be as difficult as it sounds. Your key is already having the WHV, there are many schools and companies out there that activity look for WHV and other status (aka visa) holders because they don't like to sponsor their own teachers (too much hassles and paperwork for them).

Key is start looking for jobs now before you go through Japan. Look through online ads, when responding to the ads, tell them you do not need sponsorship and will get a WHV.

Comment

Brown Cow, many thanks for your reply. I am rather excited and itfs good to hear some motivational kind words.

Twelevedown – Do you have a personal experience of being a hostess? Thatfs good news you can get a job on the day. I donft know if Ifm cute, but Ifm fair-haired, pale skinned and blued eyed..so a good possibility? I am slightly worried after reading a few stories about hostessing, I donft want to feel degraded as a woman. I am, however, up for fun and meeting new people if I find the right establishment to work in. I shall look into it more, thank you for your reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Nollie89 View Post
            Brown Cow, many thanks for your reply. I am rather excited and itfs good to hear some motivational kind words.

Twelevedown – Do you have a personal experience of being a hostess? Thatfs good news you can get a job on the day. I donft know if Ifm cute, but Ifm fair-haired, pale skinned and blued eyed..so a good possibility? I am slightly worried after reading a few stories about hostessing, I donft want to feel degraded as a woman. I am, however, up for fun and meeting new people if I find the right establishment to work in. I shall look into it more, thank you for your reply.
            Hostessing in never fun and if you have any genetic disposition toward addiction especially you should stay away unless you are really tough. There's loads of alcohol available and it deadens you to how distasteful the work and environment are. It might be something you'd do for survival if you need to, but don't count on finding any bar that's 'fun'. Apologies if there are any truly happy hostess readers out there.

Comment

No. I applied to be a hostess but they said I was too attractive and I would upset the other hostesses.

They usually have want ads at the back of 'Metropolis' magazine - which is a free English magazine. You could also just go to Roppongi and go direct to the clubs. Sometimes they try to recruit girls just walking down the street.
              It's generally quite safe. If you get decent job you'll make much more than straight-off-the-boat English teachers.
              Seriously, unless you are very lucky you will probably have a hard time getting an English gig and the salary will be low.

Comment

OP:

If you want to learn more about hostessing I'd recommend:
                http://www.amazon.com/Nightwork-Sexu.../dp/0226014878

Comment

Originally posted by kabunushi View Post
                  Hostessing in never fun and if you have any genetic disposition toward addiction especially you should stay away unless you are really tough. There's loads of alcohol available and it deadens you to how distasteful the work and environment are. It might be something you'd do for survival if you need to, but don't count on finding any bar that's 'fun'. Apologies if there are any truly happy hostess readers out there.
                  What you say about the alcohol is quite correct but I've known a couple hostesses (and they were tough) and they had a pretty good time. Yeah though, it's a little sleazy and the world of working half the night, getting loaded every night then sleeping til 4 in the afternoon.... I'm sure it is addictive and easy to get into bad habits.
                  Both the girls I knew saved well and took home a stack of money. They were both pretty good drinkers and neither of them was particularly good looking.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken44 View Post
                    OP:

If you want to learn more about hostessing I'd recommend:
                    http://www.amazon.com/Nightwork-Sexu.../dp/0226014878
                    Or the bio-stories like 'bar flower' or 'champagne salary'.

Comment

To quote: I donft want to feel degraded as a woman.

Don't they (the men) touch girls' bodies in bars and clubs when they get drunk?

Comment

Thankyou for all of your replies. I am sure there are many happy people hostessing but it really does not sound like the type of job for me. At home I like to have a drink but I have never been the ewild child.f
                        I really donft think I could handle drinking copious amounts of alcohol every shift. Ifm really sorry if that offends anyone working as a hostess.

I would consider bar work, there has to be normal bars in Tokyo right?

Thanks to themoonrules for the advice, I will definitely start creating profiles and sending out resumes.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiratama Dango View Post
                          To quote: I donft want to feel degraded as a woman.

Don't they (the men) touch girls' bodies in bars and clubs when they get drunk?
                          I've certainly heard some pretty bitter complaints along those lines. Varies from bar to bar I suppose. Along with everything else in this economy customers and employers demand more for less money than before.

I'm not so pessimistic regarding English teaching. As long as you have a visa, are young, personable, reasonably bright, reasonably educated and genuinely want to engage with people I don't think people care about having a BA. That helping in ESOL classes will count for something too, although be prepared, it's a very different environment.

Comment

Originally posted by Brown Cow View Post
                            I've certainly heard some pretty bitter complaints along those lines. Varies from bar to bar I suppose. Along with everything else in this economy customers and employers demand more for less money than before.

I'm not so pessimistic regarding English teaching. As long as you have a visa, are young, personable, reasonably bright, reasonably educated and genuinely want to engage with people I don't think people care about having a BA. That helping in ESOL classes will count for something too, although be prepared, it's a very different environment.
                            Thankyou. It sounds like you really understand why I am coming to Japan. I hope that my enthusiasm and desire to learn will play a big part in helping me to succeed. I will definitely give it my best shot

Comment

T
                              I really donft think I could handle drinking copious amounts of alcohol every shift. Ifm really sorry if that offends anyone working as a hostess.
                              No, you dont really have to drink alcohol at all. I used to work as a hostess few years ago and at the time I wasnt alcohol drinker. At work I was drinking Uroncha instead and pretended I drink Whiskey. I was really happy, loved my job, my customers were mostly decent gyus and made tons of Yen.

Comment

Working...
                              X