Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Working while on a spouse visa

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working while on a spouse visa

I am looking into moving to japan with my Japanese wife for 1-2 years, or maybe permanently, the plan is to get a spouse visa, and I am interested in knowing what type of work would be available for someone who speaks next to no Japanese, and had no degree or higher education, the only work experience I have is 4 years in the Army, in the area of radio communications.

also if I was to study something to get a degree, what would be best to study to get a job in japan

You will work as a teacher of English. The "which degree should I do?" question is idiotic and does not deserve a response.

Comment

how hard will it be to find work as an English teacher with no degree, as I am under the impression the degree is only required to get the visa?

Comment

If you have the spouse visa you dont need a degree. Its bad you have almost no experience. Start learning Japanese ASAP so you dont have to rely on English teaching. Good luck.

Comment

what other lines of work are available on a spouse visa?

Comment

what other lines of work are available on a spouse visa?

Comment

and since a degree is not required, what is required?

Comment

On the spouse visa you can do whatever you like. Nothing is required. You can start your own business, for example. If you want to work for somebody, you have to be able to do whatever a Japanese person can not do. You have to thrive among the competition. Said that your chances to land a job now in Japan are slim to none. Dont give up though and learn the language first. Good luck.

Comment

Your question is split like this: 1. You can work any job on a spouse status. There is no limitation immigration wise on the type of work you are authorized to do. 2. Just because you are authorized to do any work, employers have their own criteria for hiring people. What that criteria is, is left to the employer. Which is incentive to go out and learn some skills (like Japanese).

Comment

what would it cost a year the live in japan, for rent, food, utilities, and other expenses

Comment

Your chance of getting a job teaching English is almost 100% once you move here. A lot of entry level English teaching positions only require that you have a visa and are a native English speaker. You should think about getting a TEFL (Teaching English to Foreign Learners) certificate from the USA or England. If you have a couple of weeks and some cash do an on-site cert, if not just do an online one. Either way it will give you some idea about how to teach and something to put on your teaching resume. Without breaking a yearly budget down too much expect things to cost about as much as they would in the states. In Tokyo's more desirable neighborhoods a decent side pad can run around 3k USD (forget about that on a teacher's salary), a house 40 minutes from there will be about 900$ USD and a small room in the same area can be as low as 300-500$. If you don't have a lot of savings you will most likely be sort of poor for the first six months then move to a better job and be fairly comfortable. If you don't already have a better job in the states I'd highly recommend coming to Japan for a few years and learning about the culture. A Japanese wife can turn into half Japanese children (not literally) and as far as teaching goes you might like it. I was in the service myself before moving over here had a hard time seeing myself as a teacher. I really enjoy it though, it is much easier then being a grunt and offers better long term opportunities. What's more if you were reasonably squared away as a soldier you already have higher professional standards and work ethics then a lot of people in the field, especially the lower end entry level jobs. Good luck!

Comment

LOL, that wasn't all smashed together when I typed it.

Comment

Not to sound dumb, but doesn't your Japanese wife know how much it cost to live in Japan?

Comment

she has live with her old folks for her whole life so she was not quite sure

Comment

The life in Japan is surely expensive. If you come here for money only I know better countries to become rich fast. If you're here for also other reasons then money expect to live poor to start with. The future will pay off though. Kore kara Kiboo shimasu.

Comment

Working...
                              X